Best Build order/sequence? - Vintage Mustang Forums
View Poll Results: Paint First or Paint Last?
First 3 33.33%
Last 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Best Build order/sequence?

Hey everyone, new forum member looking for some opinions and experience. I have a 66 mustang coupe that I am about to start a restomod build on. This isn't going to be a show car, just a slightly modded and vintage looking driver. With that said, i am planning to do quite a bit to the car and I am having trouble deciding the best order to do things in. I assume interior is always last, so I guess my real question is paint and body first, or after the drivetrain/suspension/steering/etc.?

My initial thought was paint and body first, that way the car can be completely stripped, engine bay is easy to work on and paint, no worry about all the dust, etc. in the engine, get all the wiring and sound/heat stuff in there right away, etc. But lately I seem to see a lot of people doing the mechanical first... the biggest advantage I see there is having all the suspension and brakes in place makes it easier to figure out tire/wheel size and get the flares dialed in properly...

I would love some advice on this one. Below is a list of the plans, which I am sure will grow. (p.s. I know I am spending more than the car is worth, so you can save that comment)

flared fenders (mild)
new hood (stock or gt350)
All new or eliminated exterior trim, etc.
Coilover front suspension
rebuilt rear suspension (3 or 4 link in the future)
New spindles to allow larger front tires
6 piston disc brakes in the front
decently built 302 and with T-5 5speed (already built and ready to go in)
17 or possibly 18 in wheel on all 4 corners (hoping for 295+ tires)
thorough sound and heat shielding
new wiring
Complete new interior, mostly stock style but with 1 piece headliner and racing buckets
rebuilt steering box and roller idler arm, possible EPAS
More I am sure I am not thinking about now...

Thanks for any useful input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 AM

I've done it both ways and got better results painting the car first. I'd did do a lot of mock up work before hand to make sure everything fit. If you put it all together first you will inevitably get paint and dust in places that you don't want it. Look how the factory built cars.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:59 AM

Here was my order.

Sandblast stripped frame
Epoxy prime frame
Install suspension with old wheels and tires along with most of the undercarriage parts.

Do body work including welding, priming, blocking
wiring and underdash work
Painted shell and misc body panels unassembled
Install engine and trans
Finish engine compartment
Install fenders, front clip, rear valence, lights, etc
install windows
carpet
seats
Convertible top

First time doing a full tear down. I wanted to have as little work to do after paint and installing body panels as I was terrified of nicking the paint. Ended up with two minor chips in the paint in non-obvious locations.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 AM

I'm sure I did everything bass-akward, but that's because I didn't start out to dis assemble the thing. Now I've just got to make it work.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:39 PM

Pull drive train, paint under side and engine compartment, install new drive train, go have fun driving it, save lots of money, save more money, do body work and paint, do interior. This is how I am doing mine. Almost done.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 AM

best way is to do the final paint last. you can do everything else first, just use a primer sealer to prevent moisture from getting under the primer and starting the rusting process in secret. once everything is put together, then blow apart the body panels and do the final painting to avoid having to redo paint because someone got a little crazy installing the engine and gouges the fresh paint.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Even better...paint it twice

I will need a repaint mostly due to a mediocre job the first time. But I vote for a paint it after. That way you don't get nervous during a shakedown period, or accidentally scratch it while working in the engine bay.

As pointed out above, there are advantages both ways. But for what sounds like a nice driver, I'd do it at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page