'67 Cast Door Hinge Pin Removal - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By clive

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

'67 Cast Door Hinge Pin Removal

Hi,

Any tips for removing the hinge pin on a lower hinge? The hinge is the cast type and is out of the car.

The upper hinge pin drifted out easily, but the lower one is not budging at all. I have tried penetrating fluid, heat, and the biggest f hammer I have.

Curious thing is that bottom end (from where I am using a punch & hammer) rotates with the door part of the hinge, but the pin head is fixed to the body side of the hinge as it should be. I suppose the pin is broken.

Thanks,
Clive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM

West Coast Classic Cougar has a good repair video- see #73 Door Hinge Rebuild

Original Owner 69 Mach1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Use an air chisel with a punch bit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 PM

You said heat, but, I used a oxy/acetylene torch with a cutting/burning tip.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Sadly, this is why the lowers get trashed and the reproduction is used. Repo is inexpensive, and OEM are an absolute bear to fix.

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips everyone.

After pounding away with practically no movement, I decided to get serious with it!

First I cut the pin in the two gaps between the two parts of the hinge. A hacksaw blade fit the gap without damaging the hinge pieces - effectively I cut through the shoulders of the bushings to get to the the pin.

The pin ends that were in the door side of the hinge drifted out easily - so the problem was in the door part of the hinge. Again pounding on this did not make much of an impact. I could drift it back and forth about 1/32 in, but no more. Time to get serious again.

I drilled the pin using a 1/4 in bit - to make sure that if not centered it would not damage the hinge. I drilled about 1/2 in - enough to go past the depth of the bushing. Then I used a 1/4 in drift in the hole, and the pin came out

Don't know why it was so stubborn. The pin had powdered rust around it, but nothing serious. I can only assume that rust had expanded the pin inside the bushing (plus mushrooming of the pin by the drift) made it too tight.

So if I'm faced with the same on my second hinge, I know what to do. It will take less than 30 mins to cut, drill and drift out the pin - easy :-P .

Regards,
Clive.
englishman and 66Ccode like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Just did the other side - less than 30 mins! This time it turned out that the head end of the pin that was held solid- the middle part literally slid out, and the bottom drifted out easily.

I drilled into the top part of the pin from the other end of the hinge, that is I did not drill into the head of the pin. Drilling means the punch locates in the hole, does not mushroom the pin, and possibly weakens the walls of the pin. Anyway, a couple of dozen of hits and it was out. Job done :-)

Clive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page