Sandblasting 101 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I've used a sand blaster for years, but I'll be honest, I've always fought with getting a good consistent performance. I feel like 90% of the time I'm getting barely any blasting power, I mess around with the hose, or I pulse the trigger and then it goes like gang busters. Maybe for a minute, more likely 10 seconds.

Anyone got any tips? We're just using a harbor freight cabinet. I've looked at getting an upgraded gun, assuming itd help, but most didn't really look any better.

I'm humbly open to all input. 🙂

As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

See my Christian T Shirts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe985 View Post
Ok, so I've used a sand blaster for years, but I'll be honest, I've always fought with getting a good consistent performance. I feel like 90% of the time I'm getting barely any blasting power, I mess around with the hose, or I pulse the trigger and then it goes like gang busters. Maybe for a minute, more likely 10 seconds.

Anyone got any tips? We're just using a harbor freight cabinet. I've looked at getting an upgraded gun, assuming itd help, but most didn't really look any better.

I'm humbly open to all input. 🙂
1. Use the finest material you can find. Mine works great with Fine and pretty good with Medium. It doesn't like course at all, goes like crazy for maybe a minute then starts clogging.

2. Use dry medium and use a dryer on air supply

3. Start air flow THEN slowly open the sand hopper

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:37 PM

The biggest problem is usually inconsistent sand feed due to moisture in the air supply.
gijoe985, j persons and Woodchuck like this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

After doing some research, our siphon tube may just be a crappy design.

As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

See my Christian T Shirts!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM

If you feel that the gun is clogged, put your palm over the gun orifice and pull the trigger. This will force air back down the tube and clear any obstruction. Also don't use glass beads larger than 80 grit, the larger stuff tends to clog. I tried black beauty one time and couldn't get it to flow properly, I went back to aluminum oxide for steel and iron and use glass beads for aluminum.
stephen_wilson likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:19 PM

I don't have any feed problems and I have a HF cabinet also. Make sure to replace the air hose if it hasn't blown out yet !

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM

I use the HF bench top cabinet with playground sand from home depot. The gun that came with the cabinet broke, and feed hose would collapse. I use a different hose and gun that I also got from HF before I got the cabinet. Other than that, most of my problems stemmed from clogging up the gun with crud that blasted off the parts. I installed a screen below the grate and have had no issues with clogging since.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:54 PM

Just a PSA on using playground sand. If you use playground sand and do not use a mask you can cause serious lung damage (silicosis). Something about the dust it creates.

Our blasting cabinet uses HF aluminum oxide. I use a HF external blaster with soda or glass for softer metals.
vegasloki likes this.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:51 PM

I almost gave up on my blast cabinet shortly after getting it. Trouble was moisture in the air. Made it unusable. Installed a substantial drying system and now it works like a champ. After a while I do get some clogging when blasted material gets in to the beads/sand but as others have stated you just cover the tip and force air backwards to "burp" it. Eventually you have to replace the media or I have also screened it to get out any larger particulate.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Long time lurker new to the forum. Had all the same problems so much I hated to use the cabinet. Upgraded to this and it is night and day. Works great now. I'm in the Northwest, so general moisture is always a problem, but haven't at a single clog in over a year.

https://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-...-Kit,2320.html
coupster likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

The pickup tube that HF includes with the cabinets now isn't very good. The older ones had a double tube like the pick up tubes in the smaller benchtop cabinets. There are endless videos on utube about modding the HF cabinet. There are sellers on ebay but you can usually buy the parts yourself for less from the suppliers.

You can make your own feed siphon for the bottom of the cabinet with some pipe fittings and nipples. It does not have to go in the bottom like in most builds. If you make your siphon straight it can go right into the side of the dump flange so it's easier to dump the media.
This is the metering valve that most upgrade to. There are new and old versions and the price varies more than you would think. https://www.idsblast.com/sandblasting-supplies/713

The gun itself isn't very efficient as well and there are many many different ones you can use. The best option is a foot pedal and one of the small guns that fits in the palm of your hand. More comfortable in a small cabinet but nearly 3x the price.

This is the gun style that most go to as well. There are different orifice sizes. https://www.idsblast.com/sandblasting-supplies/4874

That site may not be the best pricing but its one of the more comprehensive suppliers I have found. Also forgot to mention the foot pedal. This is the best deal on a foot pedal and gun combo I have found. $70 at eastwood (who would have thunk it) https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-bl...l-and-gun.html
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 PM

I'm on my second TP cabinet (upgraded to larger for the second cabinet). To me there is no comparison to the HF. Having said that I bought an additional cabinet, that being from HF. I got tired of clearing out my usual crushed glass to run glass beads and back again. The TP has the crushed glass for the majority of blasting. The HF has the glass beads. To make the HF work for me, I had to re-calk the seams, replace the gun with a TP gun, install a TP light fixture, make a better syphon tube, buy a generic foot pedal, and use the TP vac from the TP cabinet. Not ideal but workable as I can make the switch now in seconds!
vegasloki likes this.

Last edited by RogV; 05-07-2019 at 09:02 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising68 View Post
Just a PSA on using playground sand. If you use playground sand and do not use a mask you can cause serious lung damage (silicosis). Something about the dust it creates.
Yep! Been there, done that, and have that. Free silica will cost you in the end.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Yep! Been there, done that, and have that. Free silica will cost you in the end.
Thats nothing compared to the old r12 leak detectors... It had a flame and a piece of copper in the flame. Then a vacuum hose you placed around the fittings etc to find the leak. The flame turned green when the refrigerant was burned creating Phosgene gas....
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
Thats nothing compared to the old r12 leak detectors... It had a flame and a piece of copper in the flame. Then a vacuum hose you placed around the fittings etc to find the leak. The flame turned green when the refrigerant was burned creating Phosgene gas....
We used to strip cars in a garage with a propane torpedo heater going including bleeding out the AC. Yea, that would make the chest burn a bit. Used a lot of brake clean for good measure.

I've done everything stupid that you can do to damage your lungs. And I succeeded. I know the warning labels are out of control with every part for anything having a Cali prop 65 warning label on it, but a least think about it.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page