Had a water pump fail. - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I went ahead and ordered the gates pump from Rockauto as a backup. I'm thinking the really expensive Edelbrock pump might be the best for peace of mind. Made in Merica!https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8842
So you don't require the backing plate?

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
So you don't require the backing plate?

Allen
No, early car. $230 is a bunch for a water pump but far cheaper than the possible carnage from a failure!
Turnall likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

Last edited by Nailbender; 05-11-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
8841 with plate...if needed.
Turnall likes this.

Regards,
Patrick

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I went ahead and ordered the gates pump from Rockauto as a backup. I'm thinking the really expensive Edelbrock pump might be the best for peace of mind. Made in Merica!https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8842
That one is a much better pump, the impeller will work much better as well. I ordered a similar one from Bosch about 12 years ago and it is still working well.

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i, Front Disc , Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tachometer, Cruise Control, Factory Style Luggage Rack, and a Glass Rear Window.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 PM

For $230 you could change out your timing chain cover to accept the cast iron water pump and have a larger selection of pumps available to you. Not sure how much originality means to you, though. Personally, someone changed out my timing chain cover to the same one you have (on a 66) so I'm running that same aluminum pump. C'est la vie... I'll change my timing chain cover to the later style as soon as I have a need to, though.

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
8841 with plate...if needed.
I think I'll go FlowKooler for $80 less since Mark is using one. It's a high volume as well and I'll end this hijack...apologies...

Allen
66whitepony likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

One of the things I noticed about the different pumps discussed is that they seem to have different pump heights to the flange that mounts the fan. Whatever one I get as a backup pump (replacement one is already installed) I think I'm covered as I have fan spacers for 2, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2. I want to keep my fan at the same location in the shroud.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Steve

64 1/2 D code 5 speed Coupe
07 GT 5 speed Vert

Plus 9 more that I no longer own!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 AM

I've been running an ebrock wp for going on 20 years (its gonna blow this summer now that I jinxed myself). Great pumps and they swear that other designs send an imbalance of water favorign one head over the other. Theirs has a balanced flow.

After removing my power steering, I found a dual pulley for the alternator in my junk pile and now run dual belts on the wp. I can run them fairly loose since there's two and reduce the load on the wp. Highly suggest that setup for anyone that can get away with it...
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
One of the things I noticed about the different pumps discussed is that they seem to have different pump heights to the flange that mounts the fan. Whatever one I get as a backup pump (replacement one is already installed) I think I'm covered as I have fan spacers for 2, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2. I want to keep my fan at the same location in the shroud.
From my notes, early pump without backing plate is 5.16" tall, 65-69 with backing plate 5.42", 69.5+ with drivers side lower hose 5.7".
2nd 66 and 66whitepony like this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:13 PM

No sir, no backing plate on this one. It seems that many of the 65 motors used a pump that is a little shorter and no backing plate. They basically use the same pump as the Hipo motors. Can be a challenge finding a quality pump for these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Do they have one with a backing plate?

I think this is what I'm looking for...Scott Drake Store - 66-69 Aluminum Water Pump (Small Block Hi-Po)

It's a FlowKooler water pump and has the backing plate...

Allen
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:15 PM

The fan spacer isnít the challenge. It you do not get the right pump, your pulleys will not line up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66whitepony View Post
The fan spacer isnít the challenge. It you do not get the right pump, your pulleys will not line up properly.
Good point. While I could shim the alt and ps pump, I can't shim the crank pulley easily.

Steve

64 1/2 D code 5 speed Coupe
07 GT 5 speed Vert

Plus 9 more that I no longer own!
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
IMHO that kind of failure was precipitated by a high loading on the case at that point due to tightness of the belt package.

My recommendation for a replacement would be the Milodon 16229.

2nd 66 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Unfortunately the Flowkooler pump seems to just be a standard parts store pump that they have put a fancy impeller onto - I have gotten not one, but TWO that were bad straight out of the box with what felt like gravel-filled bearings. I would suspect that if other pump castings are seeing failures like this, the Flowkooler would be equally susceptible.

I use a cheap repro pump that was made sometime during the 80s and appears to be much higher quality than the new ones sold today. I had it rebuilt a couple years ago with an original HiPo impeller and brand new top-of-the-line bearings and it cost me less than $100... so less than a brand new Flowkooler.
green1965 likes this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:14 PM

Kelly I remembered what you said about your experience with Flowkooler. I checked mine over before installing it. Bearings were nice and smooth. Seems to be working fine. But everyone has different experiences. Will keep an eye in mine to see how it is. Several people on here have nothing but good things to say about Flowkooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page