Thank you! New steering wheel and trunk release - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By capemustang
  • 1 Post By ianellis
  • 1 Post By capemustang

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! New steering wheel and trunk release

I am so thankful for this forum. I am always learning from everyone here and really appreciate it. I love working on my mustang and have come to rely on this forum.This weekend, I installed a new steering wheel. The old one might have been taken from a Torino and I wasn’t loving it especially with manual steering. I also installed and wired an electric trunk release. It makes life easier and saves on my paint job. Thank you for all your posts, sharing your experiences, suggestions, and advice the past few years.
4ocious and Tackelbarry like this.

1969 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Which trunk release did you use? Pictures always appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
67CustomStang likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about the lack of photos. I only have ones of the latch and button- I got too busy and forgot to take more photos. I bought a used trunk latch for Fords from eBay. I later saw you could buy the same thing on the Classic Industries or Camaro Central websites. Although the new latch is larger than my original manual one, I was able to fit it in without any modifications. It was a tight fit but doable. I wired it to a push button that I hid under the dash. I ran the wires from the trunk along the door sill, behind the air vent to the fuse box. The CJ Pony Parts video was great for showing how to do this. I am attaching a photo of the latch and button. Someone had one similar to sell on the vintage forum which is where I got the idea. A few things— make sure the latch that you buy is for your car’s year. The earlier mustang latches would not have worked for my 69. Also, when installing the latch, make sure the latch is in the open position. The 69 had a spring which held the lock mechanism which took me a few trys to figure out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNG image 2.jpg (255.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PNG image.jpg (161.1 KB, 9 views)
67CustomStang likes this.

1969 Mustang Convertible

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Years ago there a yard nearby that I went to and pulled every "LTD" and Grand Marquis" electric trunk release I could find. And sold them here, CHEAP. Somebody in Japan talked me out of my last one I was keeping for a spare. Now I've grown another car and wouldn't mind finding another. This is the first I've heard of "Chevelle" being part of the interchange. Are you sure? Because if that were true there should be some other GM models tagged along with it. "Bunch of Ford products, Oh. and a Chevelle" just doesn't sound quite right. But if it is then I've got some more digging I can do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I was surprised as well. While researching the trunk releases manual and electric for my car, I read somewhere that the same trunk release (non-electric) and electric ones were installed in chevelles,mustangs, other fords, camaro, Ltd, etc. I am not sure if this was only specific to 1969-1972.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Take a look at AMC Products cars over the years...'60's to the '80's.... AMC installed Ford, GM and Mopar parts in their cars!! No lie. Mopar (Chrysler) eventually bought them out and the rest is history..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Thanks for posting this. Definitely a mod that is worthwhile doing.

21 YEARS AND COUNTING
67 Convertible 289/C4
Originally Vintage Burgandy
Now Porsche Iris Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page