Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Vintage Mustang Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/)
-   -   Slip Yoke Spline Grease? (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1157282-slip-yoke-spline-grease.html)

markb0729 05-14-2019 08:54 AM

Slip Yoke Spline Grease?

I recently pulled the drive shaft on my 65, 289 fastback with a C4. Before reinstalling, I cleaned out the splines on the slip yoke with some brake cleaner, lubed the splines with some assembly lube (thinking that would be good enough until trans fluid worked its way into the splines) and put a very thin coat of silicone grease on the outside of the yoke.

Well something got me thinking? Did Ford recommend putting lube on the slip yoke splines and if so what type? Short answer is yes, lubricant part number B8A-19589-A. It appears to be some sort of molybdenum grease. The Ford shop manual states that the grease will not be washed out by transmission fluid due to an internal seal in the tail of the transmission that seals it out. That's news to me. I was always under the impression the rear outer seal on the back of the transmission tail sealed the fluid in the transmission which allowed transmission fluid to lubricate the slip yoke splines. My gut is telling me to pull the drive shaft and coat the slip yoke splines with some molybdenum grease. What's your experiences with this?

GT350HR 05-14-2019 10:41 AM

What Ford is talking about is a rubber sleeve that is on the output shaft ( normally but not always) . These are most common on automatic applications. The inside of the yoke slides over the sleeve keeping oil out ( to a point) . it's always a good idea to have some grease on the splines , but not too much.
Randy

awhtx 05-14-2019 10:51 AM

I have a 2001 Ranger and there was a Service Bulletin about this many years ago. As I recall people were complaining about a popping noise. It was discovered that the splines in the slip yoke and the splines on the output shaft were binding and as the slip yoke moved in and out as the rear suspension moved up and down this popping noise was created. The SB called for removing the driveshaft and greasing the splines with CV joint grease.

cruising68 05-14-2019 02:00 PM

If you own a GM truck you know all about greasing the splines. All of mine would clunk when you came to a stop. I use Bel Ray waterproof grease and it stops the clunk. I also used the same lightly when I installed my C4 and driveshaft.
<style></style>

Brian Conway 05-14-2019 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep a bucket of this stuff around for those types of odd jobs. Brian

markb0729 05-15-2019 09:53 PM

Thanks all. I'll pull the drive shaft back out, put a little grease on the yoke splines and reinstall.

poqman 05-16-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awhtx (Post 10160662)
I have a 2001 Ranger and there was a Service Bulletin about this many years ago. As I recall people were complaining about a popping noise. It was discovered that the splines in the slip yoke and the splines on the output shaft were binding and as the slip yoke moved in and out as the rear suspension moved up and down this popping noise was created. The SB called for removing the driveshaft and greasing the splines with CV joint grease.

Love learning. I have a 289 with AOD and it clunked when placed in gear and when shifting 1-2. Did not clunk on higher gear shifts and didn't clunk 1-2 if I was very light on the accelerator. So I pulled the driveshaft today and greased it. Now no clunk going into gear and less clunk 1-2. Definitely helped. Thanks.