Slip Yoke Spline Grease? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By poqman

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Slip Yoke Spline Grease?

I recently pulled the drive shaft on my 65, 289 fastback with a C4. Before reinstalling, I cleaned out the splines on the slip yoke with some brake cleaner, lubed the splines with some assembly lube (thinking that would be good enough until trans fluid worked its way into the splines) and put a very thin coat of silicone grease on the outside of the yoke.

Well something got me thinking? Did Ford recommend putting lube on the slip yoke splines and if so what type? Short answer is yes, lubricant part number B8A-19589-A. It appears to be some sort of molybdenum grease. The Ford shop manual states that the grease will not be washed out by transmission fluid due to an internal seal in the tail of the transmission that seals it out. That's news to me. I was always under the impression the rear outer seal on the back of the transmission tail sealed the fluid in the transmission which allowed transmission fluid to lubricate the slip yoke splines. My gut is telling me to pull the drive shaft and coat the slip yoke splines with some molybdenum grease. What's your experiences with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 AM

What Ford is talking about is a rubber sleeve that is on the output shaft ( normally but not always) . These are most common on automatic applications. The inside of the yoke slides over the sleeve keeping oil out ( to a point) . it's always a good idea to have some grease on the splines , but not too much.
Randy

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM

I have a 2001 Ranger and there was a Service Bulletin about this many years ago. As I recall people were complaining about a popping noise. It was discovered that the splines in the slip yoke and the splines on the output shaft were binding and as the slip yoke moved in and out as the rear suspension moved up and down this popping noise was created. The SB called for removing the driveshaft and greasing the splines with CV joint grease.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:00 PM

If you own a GM truck you know all about greasing the splines. All of mine would clunk when you came to a stop. I use Bel Ray waterproof grease and it stops the clunk. I also used the same lightly when I installed my C4 and driveshaft.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM

I keep a bucket of this stuff around for those types of odd jobs. Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gear Lube.jpg (418.6 KB, 3 views)

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I'll pull the drive shaft back out, put a little grease on the yoke splines and reinstall.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I have a 2001 Ranger and there was a Service Bulletin about this many years ago. As I recall people were complaining about a popping noise. It was discovered that the splines in the slip yoke and the splines on the output shaft were binding and as the slip yoke moved in and out as the rear suspension moved up and down this popping noise was created. The SB called for removing the driveshaft and greasing the splines with CV joint grease.
Love learning. I have a 289 with AOD and it clunked when placed in gear and when shifting 1-2. Did not clunk on higher gear shifts and didn't clunk 1-2 if I was very light on the accelerator. So I pulled the driveshaft today and greased it. Now no clunk going into gear and less clunk 1-2. Definitely helped. Thanks.
cruising68 likes this.

1966 2+2, 289 A code, AOD AT, 3.55 Currie Traction Lock, PS, PDB, AC, Pony deluxe interior & Rally Pac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page