Scott Drake Strikes Again - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Scott Drake Strikes Again

While test driving my car after the installation of the SD Corso Feroce Steering Wheel I notice the turn signals won't cancel after a turn. Turns out the hub was machined wrong with the canceling tabs pointing straight up. I tried rotating the wheel on the hub to make it work but since it's a 9 hole mount I couldn't get it near the 90º to the left from straight up that it should be. Of course the drift pins they use as the cancelers are 3/8" too short anyway so even trying to rig it to somewhat work was futile. Scott Drake and China, quite a pair!

There were dots on the other side of the hub to indicate the straight up position for the notch on the steering shaft and steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1362.jpg (353.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1363.jpg (341.1 KB, 29 views)

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Looking at the Summit website it appears the SD, Lecarra, and Volante 9 hole hubs are identical. SSDB, same stuff different box. I'll call Summit tomorrow and see if they can send me one of each to improve my odds of success the second time around. I just love having to deal with this stuff, and you know having to deal with it is built into Summits pricing as the cost of doing business.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 PM

Maybe your problem is in the hub and you just need a quality hub like us Grant steering wheel guys?

https://gtperformance.net/installation-hubs/

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Scott Drake should replace your wheel free of charge if you send them you screwed up wheel. Especially if its a manufacturing error. They'll replace it free of charge. Just give them a call.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 AM

My LeCarra didn't have a clocking issue but getting the drift pins set to work properly took a little time, I don't know if I've ever had an early Mustang that cancelled the turn signals properly 100% of the time
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Maybe your problem is in the hub and you just need a quality hub like us Grant steering wheel guys?
Ok

https://gtperformance.net/installation-hubs/
I actually like the Grant wheel better and had one on my 67 but it seemed I was constantly chasing the horn button around the interior. At least the turn signals cancelled!
dobrostang likes this.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Garage
Have you tried removing the cancelling cam (orange part on your old wheel) and installing it on the SD wheel? I've done it in the past and works much better than the roll pins provided. Only thing is to measure the snout it is installed on to make sure they are the same diameter.

Robert Icasas

Projects:

67 Cougar
Art Morrison Sport IFS
3-link Rear Suspension
Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56
Build: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ge...se-enough.html

Brother's 1966 Mustang Restomod
Mustang II front suspension
Torque Arm Rear Suspension
Ridetech Shockwaves
5.0 w/ Viper t56
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
I ended up installing the GT Performance Horn Button to replace the Grant POS one.

I used the Grant lower mount but had to build up the turn signal cancel nub with some JB weld in order for it to cancel properly.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Wow. Don’t have any quick fix for that situation.
Actually met SD one time back when he still owned this company outright. He actually indicated he was interested in “fixing” stuff that wasn’t quite right. Alias, that wasn’t the case, even back then.....

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a girl at Summit. Made the mistake of speaking with someone from problems with your order when I should have called tech support. I make that mistake every couple of years. She's trying unsuccessfully to get in touch with SD. I guess I can just drill my own holes through the horn contact and hub hoping I don't crack the horn contact plastic. I'd obviously have to clearance the holes afterward to avoid shorting out. I am so sick of crap parts!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
While test driving my car after the installation of the SD Corso Feroce Steering Wheel I notice the turn signals won't cancel after a turn. Turns out the hub was machined wrong with the canceling tabs pointing straight up. I tried rotating the wheel on the hub to make it work but since it's a 9 hole mount I couldn't get it near the 90º to the left from straight up that it should be. Of course the drift pins they use as the cancelers are 3/8" too short anyway so even trying to rig it to somewhat work was futile. Scott Drake and China, quite a pair!

There were dots on the other side of the hub to indicate the straight up position for the notch on the steering shaft and steering wheel.
I bought the same set up from NPD and haven’t tried to install it yet because my car is still at the paint shop. Should I just return it and try something else?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackelbarry View Post
I bought the same set up from NPD and haven’t tried to install it yet because my car is still at the paint shop. Should I just return it and try something else?
I think NPD is selling the same thing only different. I think the hubs are all the same regardless of what the box says.

I just got a new order status and UPS return label from Summit. I guess they are shipping me another one. We shall see.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

So, here's the update and probable conclusion. Got another hub same as the last. That's the way they are made for all, regardless of who's name is on the box. Tried to call SD several times over several hours and always a busy signal. Talked with Summit tech support and they could not offer much help but suggested I call one of the other sellers of the same thing in other boxes. So I called Volante and got a real human on the first ring! While he couldn't outright admit they were all using the same hub he did inform be that there's did come with both the roll pin and cancelling clip option. Basically they don't seem to care where the cancelling pins are located because eventually with enough turns of the wheel, the pins if they are long enough will cancel the turn signals. I guess, once again old Nailbender want's something to function like the original. Crazy talk, I know.

Pictured below the Volante version with the cancelling clip SD does not offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vat-sth1001sil_at_xl.jpg (171.1 KB, 9 views)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Maybe I'm missing something but if your hub is bolted to your wheel and its a 9 bolt wheel can't you just re-clock the wheel to hub to move the pins to the 9 oclock? The other thing that seems odd to me is the lip on the Volante hub you showed the photo of. How does that work? I thought the 9 bolt steering wheel frame bolted flat to the hub. As you can tell, I am not a steering wheel expert - or much of an expert in much of anything else. I don't even want to talk about after market trunk lids.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but if your hub is bolted to your wheel and its a 9 bolt wheel can't you just re-clock the wheel to hub to move the pins to the 9 oclock?
That would be possible on a 8 bolt wheel. Don't know that they exist. I have a choice of something like 8 or 10 o'clock. I'm avoiding going out to the garage to deal with it but I guess I'd better get off my butt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page