Planning 2 major upgrades. Need more advice! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Planning 2 major upgrades. Need more advice!

Well, summer is coming, and it's time to start more upgrades. First is going to be fuel injection. I've read the threads, done the research, and only managed to get myself more lost than ever. I know there seems to be quite a debate between Holley and Fitech, but I think I've decided on Holley. (Mostly due to all the issues people seem to have with Fitech tech support.) But feel free to give advice if I'm missing anything. So far, my plan is:
1) Holley sniper
2) Spectra fuel tank
3) Use original 5/16" line for return
4) Install 3/8" line for supply

Questions so far.
1) Should i use the sniper to control timing?
2) Should i use the sniper to control my electric fan?

Now for upgrade #2. I'm going to get the A/C going. I have a factory A/C car, but the condenser and compressor are not installed. The condenser is trashed. The blower works, but I have no clue what condition the evap. is in. I would like to update the entire system, but keep the original under dash unit. What are my option for kits that do this?

Now I already know the answer to whether I should do these one at a time or together, but which should I do first? I leaning toward F.I.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM

I have and would certainly never recommend the Spectra EFI tank to anyone. I bought a 3/8 pre bent factory style fuel line from NPD and ran it alongside to original 5/16" line from the tank. Double flared both lines at the drivers toe board, installed unions, and ran my own from their forward. Cheap and permanent.
Boss5Oh likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

@Nailbender, why would you not recommend the Spectra tank? Do you have any better (cost effective) options?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
@Nailbender, why would you not recommend the Spectra tank? Do you have any better (cost effective) options?
I got a tank full of black gunk, a common problem with the Spectra tanks, fried the first pump in minutes. Spectra has no customer support. Call them and they will start speaking French soon as they find out you have a problem. I'm auto crossing with the Spectra tank now with no issues. It's just they sold a poorly built product and wouldn't stand behind it. As soon as I find a proven cost effective option I will buy it. I thought Holley was offering their own EFI tank now?

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 PM

Doesn't Holley make a drop in fuel pump for a vintage mustang. Goes right into the origunal tank. If I remember correctly you don't even need a return line. I might be wrong though.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:36 PM

Planning 2 major upgrades. Need more advice!

On the sniper, yes, control timing! Yes!
The hyperspark/sniper combo is SLICK!
Easy install and turn key!

I didnít originally use the fan control, but Iím about to add electric fans and I will certainly let it control them... why not...
Iím going to have them control relays which turn them on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mikeyhunts; 05-14-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_cob View Post
Doesn't Holley make a drop in fuel pump for a vintage mustang. Goes right into the origunal tank. If I remember correctly you don't even need a return line. I might be wrong though.
Yes, they do, and I happen to use one. The part number is 12-305 and it comes with float arms for the 16, 20, and 22 gallon tanks. As a plus, the sending unit seems to be quite accurate. It probably took me an hour to install and hook it up to the fitech unit. The only (minor) quibble I have with it is that it does lose line pressure if it sits for several hours. I turn the key, count to five, and then start the engine but again that's only if it sits without running for several hours, like overnight. Other than that, it works great and I'm using the 5/16 line without any starvation issues on a stockish 5.0
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 AM

I just bought the Sniper and the Holley fuel pump retrofit kit. As stated already, fits into stock fuel tank location and does not need return line. I have not installed yet but hope too soon. I am now considering the Hyperspark as well, but am still on the fence for timing control.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 AM

Garage
Q1: Use the timing control. Otherwise you're only getting half the benefit of the system. Also, it is pretty cool being able to adjust your timing curve to what the car likes. I'll echo what @mikeyhunts said, the sniper and either the dual sync or the hyperspark are the bee's knees. While I was able to use an MSD pro billet, it was not nearly as user friendly as those two options.

What intake manifold do you have? If you have a dual plane, there is a reasonable chance that the sniper wont play well although a carb spacer generally solves that issue. If you have a dual, see if it has the divider milled down (like the air gap generally does). If it does you should be g2g. Mine did not and I have since swapped to a single plane.
Why did I end up changing? I ran into an issue where the Sniper would not meter the side that didnt have the o2 sensor very well. When I say "didnt meter very well", I mean it was 2 points lean and would misfire. I couldn't add a spacer since I have a 408w and hood clearance is an issue. Swapping the intake fixed the problem.

You'll also want a fuel filter but you probably realized that already. I have an Aeromotive 340 Stealth tank and dont have any issues. It's a Tank's INC tank with Aeromotive pump. I do not know anything about the Spectra tanks but, Tanks INC is a proven design for our cars. I'd probably look at them first for your application. Word of caution; Walbro pumps can be loud.

If you have electric fans, there is no reason for you to _not_ use the built in fan controls. You should have relays already in place, it's really easy to hook up, and is slicker than snot on a brass door knob. I have both my fans wired in and it's amazeballs. I also have one fan on an override switch but i doubt I will ever use it...more as a safety net.

I have no opinion on your AC conundrum. Classic Auto Air might be able to hook you up though. I'd give them a call and see what they can do for you.

'One at a time or together'...depends really. If you are wanting to keep your installation clean and mount your sniper wiring to the underside of your cowl (like I did...see my build thread), you'll want to do it BEFORE you put in your climate control. If not and you're content with keeping most everything in the engine bay, then dealers choice. Also depends on where your battery is...mines in the trunk which made running wiring a bit more of a challenge. I ended up mounting a battery junction under the dash to simplify things.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Iíll tell you, the way they have a single wiring plug and the clear cap for phasing your Holley hyperspark it is as easy as it gets....
Like a junior high kid could do it.

When great and simple collide, Iím a happy man!

jgrote likes this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
You asked for experiences, I have a FITech unit, the customer support was great for me, I ended up needing to swap out a regulator on the fuel pump/sump and they were very helpful. The FI unit itself has worked flawlessly with my dual plane manifold.
jgrote likes this.

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i, Front Disc , Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tachometer, Cruise Control, Factory Style Luggage Rack, and a Glass Rear Window.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 PM

I'll state this about the Holley Sniper...

I've now had 3 of them for 3 separate cars and each has worked flawlessly from the first turn of the key! I've never placed a call to Holley tech service, because I've never had any issues. I have read through threads on the Holley forum when I was gathering information about the units, and I asked questions there when I was trying to figure out which set-up option I should go with on the cam (go with the standard selection by the way, I don't care what cam you have)...they were very fast and very helpful.

You made the right decision there.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 PM

There customer service is best in class IMO.

I unlike you called 20 time about fuel system install parts recommendations and there were simply wonderful.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

After even more research, I found out that yes, timing is possible, but it's about a $500 upgrade! Ouch. I'm not sure I can fit that in the budget right now. If I did, I would probably have to forego the A/C this summer. That would not make the better half all that pleased. I need to sell a kidney or something.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
After even more research, I found out that yes, timing is possible, but it's about a $500 upgrade! Ouch. I'm not sure I can fit that in the budget right now. If I did, I would probably have to forego the A/C this summer. That would not make the better half all that pleased. I need to sell a kidney or something.

I donít think thatís right.
Even a new hyperspark is $249.
Assuming you have a coil that will work....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in