Crappy repo parts? I wish. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Bella
  • 1 Post By bmcgc
  • 4 Post By BlakeTX
  • 2 Post By Wiseguy59

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Crappy repo parts? I wish.

No doubt, some repo parts are not perfect, some not even close, but man what I wouldn't give for the availability I have for my 66 coupe, versus my 1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible. Only 7,500 made give or take. Very, very little in the way of parts available. Carpet, ok. Even seat upholstery. But how about a hood? Or a quarter? Interior door panel or dash? No way, no how! Ever price a Pontiac engine rebuild? It sometimes cracks me up to read the rants about backorders or parts that have to be modified to work. Lord what I wouldn't give for something that even resembled the needed part. Resume regular programming.
Huntingky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
I had a 65 Fairlane(shoulda kept it) 1 year body style I kinda know your pain

Brad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
No doubt, some repo parts are not perfect, some not even close, but man what I wouldn't give for the availability I have for my 66 coupe, versus my 1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible. Only 7,500 made give or take. Very, very little in the way of parts available. Carpet, ok. Even seat upholstery. But how about a hood? Or a quarter? Interior door panel or dash? No way, no how! Ever price a Pontiac engine rebuild? It sometimes cracks me up to read the rants about backorders or parts that have to be modified to work. Lord what I wouldn't give for something that even resembled the needed part. Resume regular programming.
My other cars were AMX and Javelin. I'd take the limited availability of those parts over the repo crap i'm receiving for the Mustang currently!

Even my dad's Corvairs had decent parts available!

I could not disagree more. A useless part is a useless part. . . .

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

Last edited by Nailbender; 05-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM

We spend most of our lives wishing it was a little bit warmer or a little bit cooler.
BlakeTX likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:32 PM
Dimples

Garage
I have a good friend that just finished a decade-long build of a kustom 57 Chrysler New Yorker. It is resplendent. One of the greatest cars I have ever laid eyes on. Every single part acquired for that car comes with a story of some eccentric forward look Mopar guy and a price tag that would make your eyes water.

I get it, some chinesium parts are junk, but itís all relative.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:34 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
A friend of mine took classes in metal working and invested in tooling like a big (expensive) english wheel and such basically because his car needs at least a quarter panel and he figures about the best way to get one is to make it himself. He's probably right. I found and bought full quarters for my '69 on clearance sale at RockAuto. Which I WON"T be telling him about. No need to rub it in.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 PM

That's a VERY COOL looking ride!!

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I have a good friend that just finished a decade-long build of a kustom 57 Chrysler New Yorker. It is resplendent. One of the greatest cars I have ever laid eyes on. Every single part acquired for that car comes with a story of some eccentric forward look Mopar guy and a price tag that would make your eyes water.

I get it, some chinesium parts are junk, but itís all relative.

What's neat about that model, is that it came with both 2 and 4 headlamps. In those states that allowed 4 headlamps, the dealers would change them from 2 to 4. There was a feature article on that model back in the old 'Cars and Parts' magazine. Pretty neat, and a cool looking car.
Huntingky and BlakeTX like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

While our day-job is dedicated to sourcing and supplying as-best-as-we-can-find reproduction parts for classic Mustangs, our private collection is full of relatively-obscure top-line models from GM and Ford/Lincoln/Mercury for which reproduction parts, in general, just don't exist.

It's a completely different method of parts sourcing, the "scavenger hunt" method... Requiring factory parts texts, researching original numbers, partsvoice, rearcounter, eBay and Google...

And often times.. Nothing can be found, and time rolls on..

As opposed to when I've got one of our old Mustangs in the shop, and anything I need is a short stroll away.

It's a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page