brake kits - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

brake kits

I have a 1967 Mustang with drums all around....I purchased a disc brake kit from Chokostang company. Big mistake...installed all the parts and never got the brakes to function like they should. Went thru entire system new lines rebuilt the rear drums all new parts...brakes would not work. Frustrated finally had to bite the bullet and take car to local restorer and he said master/booster were not matched for the particular setup. Also the front calipers were leaking-these were all new part of the kit. They never saw the road, so why is it they leaked? Junk!! Brakes would never work. After being upset that I got ripped off buyer beware....happy now the car is driveable. Original kit cost $900 repairing so called correct kit another $900 + labor. Live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Garage
I have decided to keep my brakes how they are. I have rear drums and front discs on my 70'. They seemed to work fine as I was rolling it onto the trailer. Though I may want to switch to rear discs in the future, the rear drums will do for now since I will just be traveling through parts of town.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni67 View Post
I have a 1967 Mustang with drums all around....I purchased a disc brake kit from Chokostang company. Big mistake...installed all the parts and never got the brakes to function like they should. Went thru entire system new lines rebuilt the rear drums all new parts...brakes would not work. Frustrated finally had to bite the bullet and take car to local restorer and he said master/booster were not matched for the particular setup. Also the front calipers were leaking-these were all new part of the kit. They never saw the road, so why is it they leaked? Junk!! Brakes would never work. After being upset that I got ripped off buyer beware....happy now the car is driveable. Original kit cost $900 repairing so called correct kit another $900 + labor. Live and learn.
Did you ever contact Chock about your problems? He has a great reputation in the mustang community
Huskinhano and 1ofAMillion+ like this.

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Did you contact Chocko for remedy or just suppress it till it festered and exploded today in a fit of social media vengeance?
Huskinhano and Hemikiller like this.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM

I donít recall if you posted on the forum about your issues? Brakes can be tricky. I would think Dan would have swapped out the leaky calipers for you. I have the same offshore parts frustrations but thatís all we have available.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM

This is the first rant I've seen about anything from chocko. I assume you realize the brakes he sells are reproduction of the originals? He doesn't make them, just sources the components into kit form. Being its what Ford sold originally I find it hard to believe the master cyl was mismatched unless somehow the wrong caliper was mistakenly sent to you. Its good to hear you have working brakes and I'm sure your guy enjoyed taking your money when the original vendor would have probably made it right for free.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757

Last edited by Lightning; 05-16-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 PM

Not a word from this person--
Goes to prove my point, SOMEDAY we the people will start disallowing/banding tools from folks, as we do Guns now. They will need to take a skill test to own tools.

Yes it is about that serious out there.
Huskinhano likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:32 PM

Garage
I am also curious to know if you talked to Dan. I worked with Chockostang for my power steering rebuild and had an excellent experience. Every time I contacted him he helped me. Did you show him your current setup? Why did you pay $900 for the kit? Isn't the kit like $700? Why is the master not matched for the setup? It comes with the kit and a lot of people here are using this kit.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
Not a word from this person--
Goes to prove my point, SOMEDAY we the people will start disallowing/banding tools from folks, as we do Guns now. They will need to take a skill test to own tools.

Yes it is about that serious out there.
PUT DOWN THE TOOLS AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!

I could start on an political policy rant if you'd like to get the thread closed

Verbose Vocabularian
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 PM

I bought All new front disc brake parts from Chock. I have single piston disc on 67, figured they were off another Ford and they were. Gave him spindle numbers and he sent the right parts first time. Been on there for years no issues. Recommended him to a friend for parts for his 69, again no issues

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 PM

Don't think I've ever waited an hour for Dan to return a call. It's always best to contact the seller and try to come up with a solution before ranting. Don't understand the master booster mismatch the other shop claims? I assume it's repo 67 stuff.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

brake kit rebuttal

First I did make contact with Dan and wanted me to return parts at my expense so he could check them for working order. I would think that should be done before you sell them to the public. So sorry if that upset you but I am entitled to my opinion as well. I won't banter or slander you I have all the parts if you want to make this right...you can have them back no problem at your expense pal. I do know how to wrench you don't even know me but bad mouth me. Your customer service is fine but backing up your products is not. You've got my number....Jim
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni67 View Post
First I did make contact with Dan and wanted me to return parts at my expense so he could check them for working order. I would think that should be done before you sell them to the public. So sorry if that upset you but I am entitled to my opinion as well. I won't banter or slander you I have all the parts if you want to make this right...you can have them back no problem at your expense pal. I do know how to wrench you don't even know me but bad mouth me. Your customer service is fine but backing up your products is not. You've got my number....Jim
Sir, One of us is delusional--I have NOT got a single call from you.
Return the parts. I make adjustments on defective parts. On misused parts, I will not.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

you want cell phone records shipping receipts....take some college courses on business management figure out the correct way to take care of customer service
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Maybe the fact you had to send the car out was maybe to correct your work and not the quality of the parts. This is a simple bolt on project. If there was a issue you should have the skill set to understand what it is and how to correct it.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page