Sourcing bullet connectors - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Sourcing bullet connectors

Where can I source the original type bullet connectors? The GB connectors sold in most source will not make a connection in the original bullet socket.

64 1/2 coupe 260 automatic
Mfg date 8 days after the Mustang debut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 PM

You will probably not find the exact bullet connector used by Ford. I purchased .197" (16-14 awg) bullet connectors online and found that they fit well into the sockets. They can be purchased in various quantities all over the internet, but you won't find them on the shelf in your local hardware or auto parts store. They are also available with heat shrink insulation, which I prefer to those in the attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connector.jpg (182.5 KB, 8 views)

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

You might try a search on the forum. I remember someone posting a link to an electrical supply place that had them. Or they were very very close to the originals. This was maybe 3-4 years ago?

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Contact Midlife. He is the most knowledgeable person on the orginal harnesses.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to attach all the wires from the steering column (male connector) to the existing connectors (female connector). Some of the female connectors have two wires going into the single female connector. I would like to at least use the existing female connectors but the male bullet connectors that I installed on the wires coming from the column. When I inserted the new male connector into the existing female connector it would insert all the way and no connection was made.

64 1/2 coupe 260 automatic
Mfg date 8 days after the Mustang debut
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 PM

https://www.ecklers.com/ford/wire-en...1-21402-1.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64-21402.jpg (55.2 KB, 4 views)
65coupei6_2 and Huntingky like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 PM

Standard size automotive bullet connectors measure .157". Ford bullet connectors measure .188". I'm sure google can find thousands of each size and any style (crimp or solder, insulated or bare) you want.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 PM

I went to HF and bought a couple storage boxes that have a bunch of compartments.

Whenever I buy off fleabay (not very often anymore) I buy a bunch of fasteners or connectors or something a vintage Ford needs and I stock up.

I have dozens of different items that usually cost $2 or more for a package of 3-5 at WM or autoparts.

Its like having my own hardware store.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 AM

Carquest and NAPA sell the larger size bullet connectors on the shelf. They are almost always in stock.

I don't know of any other parts houses (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.) that sell them.
arbys likes this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Garage
^^^^ Though at my local NAPA they hide them behind the counter and you have to ask for them. They only keep the smaller size out on the shelf.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I'm trying to attach all the wires from the steering column (male connector) to the existing connectors (female connector). Some of the female connectors have two wires going into the single female connector. I would like to at least use the existing female connectors but the male bullet connectors that I installed on the wires coming from the column. When I inserted the new male connector into the existing female connector it would insert all the way and no connection was made.
I don't know if the wires coming from the steering column to the harness and other connectors are like mine, (64.5 D Code), a bunch of individual wires with bullet connectors, which I found to be a pain to work with individually. I got a male and a female plug and wired it so the wires coming from the steering column went into the male half and the wires from the wiring harness and other sources going to the steering column are wired into the female plug. It's a pig tail so to speak I did have to use bullet plugs, (male and female) on the end of wires that I scavenged from my old under dash wiring harness and had to fabricate a few ends with bullet connectors I found in Napa that were the same size. I know later models, 66 and later models I believe have one plug the disconnects the steering column from the wiring harness. That's what I achieved.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
I got mine at CarQuest/Advance Auto Parts: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ExactFit=false

And there are different sizes. Bring (if you can) one with you. Otherwise buy them all and return the ones you don't need. I used them to repair my Rally Pac gauge wiring.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:41 AM

Iíve found commercial HVAC supply houses have a great selection of connectors including bullet

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 AM

In a pinch I've used the smaller bullet connectors I've been able to find locally then use an awl a small flat bladed screwdriver to slowly bend the wings of the bullet connector out. Keep trying and moving the edges further out until I get a snug connection. I've eventually replaced all of these connections, but some worked for years.

Edit: when I say "smaller" I mean "slightly smaller." I wouldn't suggest this with connectors that aren't at least close to fitting.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:51 AM

Noble Wire and Terminal here in the US makes those. My local industrial hardware joint has them.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page