Welding help/looking for an experienced welder - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Welding help/looking for an experienced welder

This is my 3rd post on here so I’ll give the back story again, I’m in Baltimore Maryland and I am 17 with a 67 mustang I traded my Nova for, I’m trying to finish the stang before I go to college and the marines after college. She is almost done just needs all 4 floor pans replaced (the parts where your feet go not where the seat is) I have the replacement pans just haven’t cut anything up because I don’t know how to weld, I do have a friend who welds but he isn’t experienced with welding on cars so I was wondering if anyone on here is in the area and knows how to weld and would be willing to make arrangements to help me out (travel arrangements/pricing). The floor pan parts where the seat goes and the tranny tunnel are solid and there is good metal to weld to. Also does anyone have an idea how much a shop would charge if the interior is already taken apart and the replacement metal is provided?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 PM

I was quoted $600 to have it done locally by a bodyshop. I also was told it'd be about 6 months before he could get to it. Blech.

(and welcome to VMF)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Buy a welder and do it yourself.

Most guys here had no experience welding before their project.
Huntingky, DonP, 2nd 66 and 3 others like this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
I purchased and learned to use my welder after I got my car back from the "Mustang Expert" welder in my area. I also learned that I needed a good grinder.
Israel and Huntingky like this.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Go to HF and pick up a wire feed welder. Use flux core. With gas (MIG) will have a cleaner weld youíll have to buy a bottle and fill it. With flux youíll have clean up but thatís your time and not money. Get something in the 140 amp range, 120 volt. There will be a guide to set the heat and wire speed for the gauge youíre welding. Buy a helmet and go at it. Practice on some scrap. The idea is to watch the molten puddle of steel and move it along. Itíll sound like bacon frying when going right. Practice!
Huntingky and vegasloki like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Go to HF and pick up a wire feed welder. Use flux core. With gas (MIG) will have a cleaner weld youíll have to buy a bottle and fill it. With flux youíll have clean up but thatís your time and not money. Get something in the 140 amp range, 120 volt. There will be a guide to set the heat and wire speed for the gauge youíre welding. Buy a helmet and go at it. Practice on some scrap. The idea is to watch the molten puddle of steel and move it along. Itíll sound like bacon frying when going right. Practice!
Mine is from HF, bought a 220v unit that works with Flux core and gas. Gas is much better to work with, but does cost to use it. Play with the Flux, weld with the gas.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 PM

$600will buy a nice mig welder with a gas bottle and maybe a few accessories. I didnít know how to weld when I got mine but I knew if I was going to finish my car out and stay reasonably within my budget even after doubling it, I needed to learn how to weld myself. I knew nothing about how to weld when I bought my Hobart handler 140 but with some practice on scrap metal I got a lot more confident with it. Itís not hard, you just have to learn the touch and how to set up the welder. Takes a little practice but if youíre mechanically inclined it can be learned. As you work on the car you are going to find all sorts of issues that having and knowing how to use a welder makes repairs quicker and cheaper.

In 1989 I was quoted $200 per pan to have all 4 floor pans welded in. (Back then you couldnít get a full floor pan or even full sides). These prices made me realize if Iím going to finish my project then I need to learn how to use a mig welder. I still had more welding to do in the trunk and quarter panels so paying someone to do it wasnít iN the cards at the time. You can do it.
Huskinhano and 2nd 66 like this.

forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=20265
66 Mustang 2+2 FB
GT Replica
289 4 speed, 4bbl carb, dual exhaust, rally pac, console, a/c and p/s.
Progressive rate springs and 1 inch sway bar.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 PM

$600 isn't a bad price for the job. For me it would be a coin flip whether I want to pay that much -OR- buy a welder, convert it to gas and then spend the time doing it myself, but then have a welder (plus knowledge) when I'm done.

In real life I already have the welder and cart, and know how to convert it to gas for about $75 (minus the tank and gas). But I also don't need floor pans.

Maybe you have a friend with some SMAW or Oxy-Acetylene experience who wants to do some learning with you over a case of beer and some pizza.

1965 Mustang
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Since all 4 floors need replacing, it is actually much easier to replace the entire floor. You drill out all the original spot welds and fit the new floor in, then re-weld the spots. Much easier that trying to cut and piece together repairs. It looks original too. Downside is price. They have come down a lot though. Shipping can add a lot, but I bet Maryland Mustang has them in stock. You'll need a good !
MIG welder for the spot welds.

Whenever working on the floor, remember that the fuel and brake lines are under the floor, along with other important stuff. You have to be ver6 careful of them when welding or cutting. Since the fuel lines are often rusted internally it may be worth removing them during the repairs then installing new ones.
vegasloki likes this.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Go to HF and pick up a wire feed welder. Use flux core. With gas (MIG) will have a cleaner weld you’ll have to buy a bottle and fill it. With flux you’ll have clean up but that’s your time and not money. Get something in the 140 amp range, 120 volt. There will be a guide to set the heat and wire speed for the gauge you’re welding. Buy a helmet and go at it. Practice on some scrap. The idea is to watch the molten puddle of steel and move it along. It’ll sound like bacon frying when going right. Practice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
Quote:
Go to HF and pick up a wire feed welder. Use flux core. With gas (MIG) will have a cleaner weld you’ll have to buy a bottle and fill it. With flux you’ll have clean up but that’s your time and not money. Get something in the 140 amp range, 120 volt. There will be a guide to set the heat and wire speed for the gauge you’re welding. Buy a helmet and go at it. Practice on some scrap. The idea is to watch the molten puddle of steel and move it along. It’ll sound like bacon frying when going right. Practice!
Mine is from HF, bought a 220v unit that works with Flux core and gas. Gas is much better to work with, but does cost to use it. Play with the Flux, weld with the gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erials View Post
$600will buy a nice mig welder with a gas bottle and maybe a few accessories. I didn’t know how to weld when I got mine but I knew if I was going to finish my car out and stay reasonably within my budget even after doubling it, I needed to learn how to weld myself. I knew nothing about how to weld when I bought my Hobart handler 140 but with some practice on scrap metal I got a lot more confident with it. It’s not hard, you just have to learn the touch and how to set up the welder. Takes a little practice but if you’re mechanically inclined it can be learned. As you work on the car you are going to find all sorts of issues that having and knowing how to use a welder makes repairs quicker and cheaper.

In 1989 I was quoted $200 per pan to have all 4 floor pans welded in. (Back then you couldn’t get a full floor pan or even full sides). These prices made me realize if I’m going to finish my project then I need to learn how to use a mig welder. I still had more welding to do in the trunk and quarter panels so paying someone to do it wasn’t iN the cards at the time. You can do it.
I’ll definitely look into welding as I know it’d very useful as I grow and grow into being a car collector, i think I’ll get quoted by my local shop and check with my buddy again since he’s a master welder and he may be able to teach me some stuff too but ya I’m trying to get her done before I start college which is still a good 4-5 months away, graduating high school in a few days. Anyways I’ll keep y’all posted with my choice if you’re interested. Also, any more tips for welding if I choose that route ? And what weld type should I do on floor pans, do you do that thing where it’s like a straight line of weld or do you spot weld (sorry if I sound dumb I don’t know much about welding)?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 PM

I would teach myself with the help of your buddy. I learned on my Mustang with the help of a master welder. Definitely helps you figure out the heat and wire speed faster. Most welds on mustangs are spot welds so you are filling in a small circle over and over. You can get pretty good repeating them all. I got seriously better when I replaced the cowl as that has tons of spot welds. Having said that, I know I am not good enough so I am having my buddy weld in my sub-frame connectors. Besides, his welds are beautiful and mine are...well...not. But ugly welds can be ground down

Good for you if you go the learning route. I can't tell you how many other things I have welded, not car related, since learning.
Israel likes this.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njp914 View Post
I’ll definitely look into welding as I know it’d very useful as I grow and grow into being a car collector, i think I’ll get quoted by my local shop and check with my buddy again since he’s a master welder and he may be able to teach me some stuff too but ya I’m trying to get her done before I start college which is still a good 4-5 months away, graduating high school in a few days. Anyways I’ll keep y’all posted with my choice if you’re interested. Also, any more tips for welding if I choose that route ? And what weld type should I do on floor pans, do you do that thing where it’s like a straight line of weld or do you spot weld (sorry if I sound dumb I don’t know much about welding)?
You want to make a series of basically little spot welds spread out. Heat causes thin metal to warp and spreading the little welds out minimizes or eliminates that. Higher quality welders will have features for this. It will have weld time and off time along with the gas flowing to cool the weld. By pulling the trigger momentarily will duplicate this. If you have a compressor you can blow air to cool the weld. If you’re using gas you don’t want to blow the air as it will blow away the gas which is a shield for contamination. As a note you really can’t use a MIG welder where it is drafty or wind blowing. Flux core doesn’t matter. Have a Lincoln 140 amp 120 welder in my work truck. Works fine.

This is a piece of angle iron I welded to a bottom of a flag pole at work. The whole pole tilts down for servicing. This angle iron was gumballed welded to the bottom which in turn is clamped to keep the pole in place. Besides the gum ball welding it wasn’t clamped in place. I don’t know how the flag pole didn’t come down! Anyway I friended the rusty metal and laid down about 3 passes with my 140 amp, 120 volt Lincoln welder with flux core. Sorry the welds weren’t nicer but I was welding with one hand extended. I’m not a welder either

Huntingky likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Last edited by Huskinhano; 05-16-2019 at 08:27 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM

I think you should put that $600 towards a welder and welding equipment and have it for future projects, If you can.

I just actually picked up this mig welder from HF for $450 with the coupon.
https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/T...MIG+170+WELDER
There's a smaller version for $350
https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/T...MIG+140+WELDER
I paid ~$220 for a new bottle filled with Argon/ C02 locally. I didn't shop around at all.

I can certainly understand if you're not willing to shell out for a Mig and related equipment though.

I actually welded in a floor pan in using a cheapo $90 flux core welder from Walmart. It's not what I wanted, but what was the right choice financially at the time.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Someone mentioned it in another thread, but the cowl is probably rusted also. The floor pans will be a goood learning experience before you tackle the cowl.

Farming out the cowl job will be crazy expensive,....I canít imagine.
Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 PM

Garage
Huntingky and cruising68 like this.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page