Keep it stock or not? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 38Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Keep it stock or not?

Hello, new to the forum after picking up my first Mustang 1967 C code San Jose with factory air. Before I do anything stupid I wanted to know if I should keep this new project stock or change the color and bigger motor. This one has the original 289, light blue, with factory air. So value wise is it best to keep it stock? Is factory air in 67 Mustangs rare? Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Keep it stock or not?

Hello new to the forum after buying my first Mustang today. It's a 67 C code from San Jose, light blue with factory air. The car has been sitting for approx 20 years but very little rust with a straight body.

Value wise should I keep it stock or change the color and bigger motor. Is factory air common?

Thanks!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:20 AM

A C code Hardtop, even with factory air, is not at all rare. Modify it to your heart's desire.
2nd 66 and Woodchuck like this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Perfect thank you.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 AM

Garage
Factory air is not common on the ones I've seen but maybe a little more common in Cali. How was the car otherwise originally equipped? There may be more options or accessories that escape the untrained eye. I suggest getting a Marti report, researching the car's history, consider what condition it is currently in and what you are willing to invest, (time money and sweat equity) and think of what you want to do with the car. Do you want to drive it on pretty days and the occasional Cruise? Do you want to make it a daily driver? Do you want to turn it into a drag, track, or autocross car? Do you want to turn it into a show and museum piece? Consider whether you want to sell the car to make a substantial profit, which is highly unlikely given what it takes to restore one, or if you would like to hold on to it for fifty years and pass it down to a child or grandchild. Post pictures, and let us see what you have to work with.
2nd 66 likes this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
You should first off order up a Marti Report, get the deluxe level one. Then get an official Ford Shop Manual for 1967. Don't waste any money on the Chiltons or Haynes versions, they are next to worthless. Depending on what you find when you've stripped the thing down you may need some or all of the Jim Osborn Productions factory diagram manuals too.

One topic of late around here has been if a $20K value coupe exists or not. Well, they do but few and far between. And those are really, really nice ones. The fact is you're looking at spending far more than that even if you do most of the work yourself just to make it presentable and a good driver.

The V8 is a plus and so is the A/C, but neither are rare.

You should get a good grasp of the condition of the unibody structure, the subframes, rockers, shock towers, cowl, really all of it. See what you're facing there first. Bag and tag absolutely everything you take off AND DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY, no matter how bad and decrepit. You'll find out why later.

Oh yeah, welcome to VMF!

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:46 AM

I have a 67 San Jose C code. Love it. But if you bought yours as an investment you're already behind the 8 ball. Like he said the Marti report will tell you how rare it is but having factory A/C isn't going to make what was otherwise at the time a mass produced coupe. I'm keeping mine as a time capsule. My feeling is why have an old car if it's not going to drive like an old car. I get the resto-mod thing but for this project it's not for me.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:32 AM

Garage
If you dropped a stroker in it and did all the other necessary upgrades it would improve the value and there is no harm in doing it unless this is an all original, low mileage car with some options that might be considered rare for the car. Still, changing all that stuff will cost more than you will get back unless you have Foose or the Ring Brothers or somebody like that re-build the car. Even their cars will often go at auction for less than they have invested. I saw one recently that a professional restoration shop had 100 grand in and they got 60 back at auction. The car was very well done too.

Generally, the days of buying one of these cars cheap, fluffing it up a bit and flipping it and making money are gone. You wind up paying too much just to get the project to begin with.
Mustang4SF and vegasloki like this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 AM

Garage
$1500 ain't bad, especially in California dollars, unless it's a rust-bucket.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgunfighter View Post
Hello, new to the forum after picking up my first Mustang 1967 C code San Jose with factory air. Before I do anything stupid I wanted to know if I should keep this new project stock or change the color and bigger motor. This one has the original 289, light blue, with factory air. So value wise is it best to keep it stock? Is factory air in 67 Mustangs rare? Thanks for any advise.
Also tell us if it's Coupe, conv, or FB??
Once restored, do you plan to keep for awhile?
Drive it daily? Or just drive weekends?

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM

For less then $1000, you can upgrade that C code engine to 320 hp. That was racing engine power in the 60's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002big.jpg (173.8 KB, 14 views)

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

Last edited by 22GT; 05-17-2019 at 06:46 AM.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 AM

Welcome to VMF.

The question is what do you want as far as performance goes? Personally, I would keep it stock looking! Keep the original color if you like it. Change the internals to the engine, mild cam, new intake with a 4V carb or EFI, upgrade to a 302 internally by getting a 302 rotating assembly, change the pistons to either hypertheretic (sp) coated flat top pistons or even go further with forged pistons or you could stoke it to a 331 or 347. Also have the stock heads ported to get the engine to breathe better at a minimum and dual exhaust. I prefer the stock look but a sleeper in disguise. That's what I did. Look under my hood and it looks like it did when it rolled off the assembly line. All the upgrades are internal to the engine except for the Edlebrock intake. I would keep the AC. My car is in FL and right now the only opportunity to drive her is during the summer. I'm seriously considering a modern air upgrade.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevenGTconv View Post
Also tell us if it's Coupe, conv, or FB??

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/n...here-i-am.html
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:58 AM

That is a car you can build as you want it. Go stock if you like stock, go restomod if you want performance. I did a little of both, kept the body and interior stock (except seats and steering wheel), pumped the drive train, wheels and suspension. Either way, if done tastefully it will bring about the same amount of money which undoubtedly will be half of what you invest if you do the full monte. If however you just drop in a used explorer motor with some light "smiling" and a T5, go through the suspension and steering and just clean it and drive it as a rat (the route many of us go), you can have a blast and likely get your money out if you play your cards right. Buy right at swap meets with used aluminum wheels etc... Check out 2nd66 and Huskinhano's approach, your car is perfect for that angle assuming rust is not overwhelming. Tall grass and no coverage is death to cars, I expect you will find seriously rusted floorboards, pouring water down the cowl in front of the window will likely end up on the carpet. But if the frame rails are good, you can still have some fun with it...

Rebuilt motor, paint and interior will get you the car you want but not your money back.
rpm and 2nd 66 like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 AM

I'd build it the way you want. I personally don't care about the value of the car. no fun if your always worrying about ruining the value.
rpm, 2nd 66 and Crank_It_Up like this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page