Let's talk Shocks for a 68' Coupe! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 23Likes

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Let's talk Shocks for a 68' Coupe!

My research on VMF and the net surprised me that there is such a huge swing in prices for shocks. Read on here that Bilsteins are one of the best for our cars but very expensive. Any other mid-range options that are as good or better? This is for a semi daily but mostly weekend driver. If I want to sport drive like I'm running from someone I use my other car

Doing rear Leafs on the car soon, and figured I'd do all 4 shocks while she's up on our nice lifts at the Army base Current shocks are dated to about 2004 or earlier. The shocks on there now are the white 'gas-a-just-shock' type.

Seeing Bilsteins in only a few places such as this site. They are 200$ a pair plus shipping.

https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...lve-1967-1970/

What do you recommend based on experience? Rear leafs will be 114 and fronts are nice and new springs but no idea what spring rate. Rides nice up front...in back not so much. Can't wait to get the saggy, squeaky work springs swapped out.

Last edited by jsbenami; 05-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
I run Koni classics on my car. All the performance and comfort of modern shocks but the looks and fir of an original shock.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Yes please, let's do. I'm in the shock buying mood right now (springs too). I'm looking mid range, couple hundredish a pair. Koni seems promising. I'm street valving. Last two race cars had Bilstein racing shocks. Street cars have been all stock. I've got 20-30 year old Monroes on the Mustang now. At least I think they are Monroes as they are blue. But I know it was the 90s when they were last changed. You can push on any corner and it flops like a fish.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Garage
I have QA1 single adjustable shocks, on a 68 coupe. Really love em, and I can dial it up or back depending on the situation (getting under the car sucks, but having adjustability is nice nonetheless).

Even for a car that is a cruiser, having good shocks really makes a huge difference. If you don’t go the adjustable route, Bilsteins, IMO, are really the way to go. Don’t have to go crazy, but I also wouldn’t recommend skimping on this area, if at all possible.

Also, based on your location, I am assuming the Army base you’re referring to is Ft Belvoir? They have lifts? That’s pretty sweet. I need to look that up myself!

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:03 PM

Bilstein, Koni, Viking, QA1, Penske, Ohlins (probably the last two would be custom and very expensive).

ALL ELSE = JUNK.

And if you're insistent on buying junk, just get the auto parts store or Monroe, don't waste your money on KYB.
Huskinhano likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 PM

I put Bilstein street valving on both my 68 convertible and the 65 Fastback I am working on. Absolutely love them. Yes they cost a fair bit more then the cheap crap, but they are worth every penny and compared to most mods they are still cheap.

The 68 vert wallowed and drove like crap with it likely original suspension. All is perfect done so is the shocks, Monte Carlo bar and export brace. Just those changes made a world of difference. The drive is smooth and it glides over bumps.

The 65 got the full treatment. GT springs all around, bilsteins, Arning drop, new control arms (open tracker Blue printed uppers) GT sway bar, ZRay crossmember, MC bar, export brace, and welded in the shock tower supports. Also rebuilt steering box from Chock, complete new steering parts with roller idler, and original style Disk brakes from Chock.

The car drives smooth and firm but comfortable. Cornering is a joy. It still belongs to the original owner, and he was blown away by how good it drives. Far better than ever before.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Bilstein, Koni, Viking, QA1, Penske, Ohlins (probably the last two would be custom and very expensive).

ALL ELSE = JUNK.

And if you're insistent on buying junk, just get the auto parts store or Monroe, don't waste your money on KYB.
Varishocks are also quality shocks available as single or double adjustable versions and are able to be rebuilt.

I fully agree with you on the KYB's though.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 PM
Supporting Member

The Bilsteins and Koni's are going to be a bit costly. There are no "good" midrange priced shocks. That's just the way it is. I prefer the Koni's for several reasons, but if you're concerned about the price, just remember that they are rebuildable. I think you would have to drive the heck out of your car to wear them out enough to need a rebuild. I drove my GT-350 over 80,000 miles on a set of restored Koni's, and they were showing no signs of wear.

Z

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post

ALL ELSE = JUNK.

10000% spot on. Buy nice, not twice!
Huskinhano likes this.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So thanks for the feedback. This helps narrow options down. From the prices and the feedback....other threads I've read we know KYB is not great. So I've got old junk in there The all new front feels good..... Back is wollowy and springs are low and shot. Getting those replaced.

I have read some comments from people that shocks made their cars ride high up front. Dont' see how that is possible since that is a function of spring height. Did I miss something?

Anyhow.....these guys are selling bilsteins for 200 front & 200 back plus shipping. So 400-ish.

https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...cks-1965-1966/

These guys...the CJ Pony people are selling an entire set of Koni STR.T for $259 + shipping it would seem like a great deal of these aren't on the 'junk' side of things.

I've seen the QA1's on NPD are about as much as the Bilsteins if not more.

Koni Classic are a bit more than the Bilsteins. So far I've read rave reviews aplenty about Bilsteins. All in all sounds like I'm out of another 400

Anyone do business with the "Opentrackerracing" outfit?
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbenami View Post
So thanks for the feedback. This helps narrow options down. From the prices and the feedback....other threads I've read we know KYB is not great. So I've got old junk in there The all new front feels good..... Back is wollowy and springs are low and shot. Getting those replaced.

I have read some comments from people that shocks made their cars ride high up front. Dont' see how that is possible since that is a function of spring height. Did I miss something?

Anyhow.....these guys are selling bilsteins for 200 front & 200 back plus shipping. So 400-ish.

https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...cks-1965-1966/

These guys...the CJ Pony people are selling an entire set of Koni STR.T for $259 + shipping it would seem like a great deal of these aren't on the 'junk' side of things.

I've seen the QA1's on NPD are about as much as the Bilsteins if not more.

Koni Classic are a bit more than the Bilsteins. So far I've read rave reviews aplenty about Bilsteins. All in all sounds like I'm out of another 400

Anyone do business with the "Opentrackerracing" outfit?
Yes, I and many others here have done business with Opentracker. They are absolutely some of the best people to work with, and their products are some of the best in the business. Over the winter I bought all four bilsteins from them, among other things, and its probably the best $400 I've spent on the car. Seriously, if you get 4 street valved bilsteins from them I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I installed a Street or Track coil over system with their street valved Bilstein shocks and their Bilstein rears in my car, a 73 Mach 1, and could not be happier. Just firm enough but a very pleasant driver. No track work here so just a perfect match for me. My car had KYB GA shocks via the previous owner and they flatazz sucked.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:57 PM

I have Bilsteins on my fastback and Konis on my coupe. Both are great shocks and were a noticeable improvement over my old KYBs. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Konis might be more period correct.
zray likes this.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Miguelito2.0......what kind of Koni's do you have on there? I see the Koni Classic's are about as expensive as the Bilstein. But then there is the much lower priced Koni SRT.T package. Do you know anything of the SRT.T?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/koni-sho...-1970/p/KONI7/
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:20 AM

I forgot about the QA1. Good shock. We (as in most of the field) used their cheater "stock appearing" adjustable shock when I ran the hobby stock. Well we did until they instituted a claimer rule at $100 a set (the QA1 was about a buck and a half each) and the track claimed all of our QA1s one night. That was about a $500 loss per car.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page