Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Let's talk Shocks for a 68' Coupe!

5K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  jsbenami 
#1 · (Edited)
My research on VMF and the net surprised me that there is such a huge swing in prices for shocks. Read on here that Bilsteins are one of the best for our cars but very expensive. Any other mid-range options that are as good or better? This is for a semi daily but mostly weekend driver. If I want to sport drive like I'm running from someone I use my other car ;)

Doing rear Leafs on the car soon, and figured I'd do all 4 shocks while she's up on our nice lifts at the Army base :) Current shocks are dated to about 2004 or earlier. The shocks on there now are the white 'gas-a-just-shock' type.

Seeing Bilsteins in only a few places such as this site. They are 200$ a pair plus shipping.

https://opentrackerracing.com/product/bilstein-front-shocks-street-valve-1967-1970/

What do you recommend based on experience? Rear leafs will be 114 and fronts are nice and new springs but no idea what spring rate. Rides nice up front...in back not so much. Can't wait to get the saggy, squeaky work springs swapped out.

#3 ·
Yes please, let's do. I'm in the shock buying mood right now (springs too). I'm looking mid range, couple hundredish a pair. Koni seems promising. I'm street valving. Last two race cars had Bilstein racing shocks. Street cars have been all stock. I've got 20-30 year old Monroes on the Mustang now. At least I think they are Monroes as they are blue. But I know it was the 90s when they were last changed. You can push on any corner and it flops like a fish.

#4 ·
I have QA1 single adjustable shocks, on a 68 coupe. Really love em, and I can dial it up or back depending on the situation (getting under the car sucks, but having adjustability is nice nonetheless).

Even for a car that is a cruiser, having good shocks really makes a huge difference. If you don’t go the adjustable route, Bilsteins, IMO, are really the way to go. Don’t have to go crazy, but I also wouldn’t recommend skimping on this area, if at all possible.

Also, based on your location, I am assuming the Army base you’re referring to is Ft Belvoir? They have lifts? That’s pretty sweet. I need to look that up myself!

#5 ·
Bilstein, Koni, Viking, QA1, Penske, Ohlins (probably the last two would be custom and very expensive).

ALL ELSE = JUNK.

And if you're insistent on buying junk, just get the auto parts store or Monroe, don't waste your money on KYB.

Reactions: Huskinhano
#6 ·
I put Bilstein street valving on both my 68 convertible and the 65 Fastback I am working on. Absolutely love them. Yes they cost a fair bit more then the cheap crap, but they are worth every penny and compared to most mods they are still cheap.

The 68 vert wallowed and drove like crap with it likely original suspension. All is perfect done so is the shocks, Monte Carlo bar and export brace. Just those changes made a world of difference. The drive is smooth and it glides over bumps.

The 65 got the full treatment. GT springs all around, bilsteins, Arning drop, new control arms (open tracker Blue printed uppers) GT sway bar, ZRay crossmember, MC bar, export brace, and welded in the shock tower supports. Also rebuilt steering box from Chock, complete new steering parts with roller idler, and original style Disk brakes from Chock.

The car drives smooth and firm but comfortable. Cornering is a joy. It still belongs to the original owner, and he was blown away by how good it drives. Far better than ever before.

#8 ·
The Bilsteins and Koni's are going to be a bit costly. There are no "good" midrange priced shocks. That's just the way it is. I prefer the Koni's for several reasons, but if you're concerned about the price, just remember that they are rebuildable. I think you would have to drive the heck out of your car to wear them out enough to need a rebuild. I drove my GT-350 over 80,000 miles on a set of restored Koni's, and they were showing no signs of wear.

Z

#10 ·
So thanks for the feedback. This helps narrow options down. From the prices and the feedback....other threads I've read we know KYB is not great. So I've got old junk in there :) The all new front feels good..... Back is wollowy and springs are low and shot. Getting those replaced.

I have read some comments from people that shocks made their cars ride high up front. Dont' see how that is possible since that is a function of spring height. Did I miss something?

Anyhow.....these guys are selling bilsteins for 200 front & 200 back plus shipping. So 400-ish.

https://opentrackerracing.com/product/bilstein-rear-shocks-1965-1966/

These guys...the CJ Pony people are selling an entire set of Koni STR.T for $259 + shipping it would seem like a great deal of these aren't on the 'junk' side of things.

I've seen the QA1's on NPD are about as much as the Bilsteins if not more.

Koni Classic are a bit more than the Bilsteins. So far I've read rave reviews aplenty about Bilsteins. All in all sounds like I'm out of another 400 :p

Anyone do business with the "Opentrackerracing" outfit?

#11 ·
Yes, I and many others here have done business with Opentracker. They are absolutely some of the best people to work with, and their products are some of the best in the business. Over the winter I bought all four bilsteins from them, among other things, and its probably the best $400 I've spent on the car. Seriously, if you get 4 street valved bilsteins from them I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed.

#12 ·
I installed a Street or Track coil over system with their street valved Bilstein shocks and their Bilstein rears in my car, a 73 Mach 1, and could not be happier. Just firm enough but a very pleasant driver. No track work here so just a perfect match for me. My car had KYB GA shocks via the previous owner and they flatazz sucked.

#15 ·
I forgot about the QA1. Good shock. We (as in most of the field) used their cheater "stock appearing" adjustable shock when I ran the hobby stock. Well we did until they instituted a claimer rule at $100 a set (the QA1 was about a buck and a half each) and the track claimed all of our QA1s one night. That was about a $500 loss per car.

#16 · (Edited)
Anybody have opinions on Gabriel Stryder adjustable?
It's ok. Go ahead. I can take it...
I have four original 3-way adjustable ones.
Heard they were pretty desirable in the Shelby world.

#17 ·
No matter what, avoid the White KYBs. The silver GR-1 version is acceptable but not as good as the bilsteins....

#20 ·
No Comparison at all. I had the grey KYB on my 68. Replaced them with Bilsteins, the difference was night and day.

#18 ·
I have "junk" shocks on my 65 and 67.

It rides just like I expect it to and rides just like my moms 67 did when it was new.

Somehow those "junk" shocks seem to haul my butt to and from cruise ins, restaurants and Sunday drives down country roads.

$120 for a set of 4 KYB KG4517/KG5517 is fine for our driving.

#19 · (Edited)
^ some folks like $12 a piece shocks. And that's what you're dealing
with on the KYBs, if you take it down to the acquisition point at the
Jobber/WD level.
Tires and shocks "make" massive differences in ride. Tire construction
and pressure and also shock valving characterize what you're going to
feel dynamically.
It's a real subjective topic, but there is a massive difference in the
ride characteristics that cannot be denied.
I've never been impressed with nitrogen-filled shocks on vintage
Mustangs, as a general rule. I like the regular Koni units, not the "price
line" SRT.T items.
Vikings are good too.... those are getting up in price as well though.
(I've got 4 of them on my otherwise stock '48 Ford truck. Awesome.)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: dobrostang and zray
#21 ·
Well.....I've decided on the Billsteins from Open Tracker. So what it's a 150-200 more than the entry level Konis. I've already sank crazy money on this car. I do not fancy taking shocks off to adjust them either so I think the Bilsteins are going to be perfect. Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback. Will stick em' on all 4 corners when I rip out and replace the rear leafs in a couple of weeks. Very much looking forward to this as I am now in the 'improve stuff' phase rather than the 'does stuff run and how will I make it run' phase :p

#22 ·
You have chosen wisely!

#23 ·
Need good suspension here. The D.C. area roads are vicious....Hot summer & cold winters plus cheap wad State and Federal repaving cycles make for some pretty vicious roads here. I live in VA which has the better roads but drive to MD for work/family/friends. Buckled and potholed roads everywhere. Stop and go traffic like a MoFo. Horrible, and jerk drivers galore. Maryland especially.

#24 ·
They have car-eating potholes north of Kentucky and the Carolinas. Down here, they just bend wheels and cause a blow out or bend a tie rod, lose a hubcap if you're lucky. Last time I went to Pennsylvania I hit a pothole and a search party of Reserve cops and Boy Scouts came looking for us.

Reactions: dobrostang and zray
#25 ·
They have car-eating potholes north of Kentucky and the Carolinas. Down here, they just bend wheels and cause a blow out or bend a tie rod, lose a hubcap if you're lucky....."
I hope the chatter coming out of the Federal government about a massive infrastructure legislation bill has some truth to it. It's the one thing that the Democratic and Republican parties are in agreement on, so please please please get it done. Our roads and bridges in EVERY state are deteriorating , and have deteriorated, faster than the local, county, state, and federal governments can fix them.

We have many national disgraces, but this is one that everyone can relate to. Especially with the trend to the low profile tires we are getting more and more tire, more wheel, and more suspension damage. I like to recreationally drive to neighboring states, and also take numerous drives in my own state on roads that are unknown to me quality-wise. It's hard to enjoy the stunning beauty of our countryside when you have to dodge potholes all the time. And even a careful driver can't see all of them in time to avoid them. It's been a while since I've been to Central and South American, but even 10 and 20 years ago relatively poor countries were seeing the economic benefits of having a well maintained road system. I saw many roads in poor countries that were in better shape than the ones we were driving on up here in the good ol' USA. Shame on us.

For this guy, I don't care about 99% of the issues that politicians are using to divide our country, and wish they would just shut the F*** up. Please DC, and state captitols, just get this ONE thing done that EVERYONE agrees on.

Z

#26 ·
I know from experience in the 1990s that Euopean roads still weren't great, and that is why the "export brace" and the Monte Carlo bar were so good to strengthen a chassis on a T-5 or a Shelby in the 60s. I've never had spiffy wheels or rims with low profile tires. I still have stock 16 inch wheels on my F-250, only have had 14 inch stock with hubcaps then 14 inch chrome then 14 inch Styled Steel wheels on my Mustang. I've only gotten as low profile as a 225 65 14 I think haha. Rides better. Handles fine.

#30 ·
Was under the car again today at the lift shop....just to check on the dribbly rebuilt C4 tranny leaks and put about 70 miles on the new engine on such a nice day!

My current shocks aren't what I thought they were previously. They are 'grab-a-trak'. Look pretty old and two fronts are leaking fluid up top. Front springs, control arms and probably the reast of the front minus the steering box are all new also Grab-a-trak stuff. I believe the guy got them at Mustangs Plus and there were few if any miles on this front end before I dropped the 302 in.

I'm going to do the 4 shocks when I do the rear springs int the next couple of weeks. GOTTA go and start a new thread for what are hopefully minor tranny issues though :) This Forum rocks...I am always impressed.

#31 ·
I bought a set of Konis way back when you could buy them from your Ford dealer. Ran them for many years and was always very happy with them. One of them froze up on me so I looked into having the set rebuilt. A new set of Bilsteins was a whole lot less expensive. The rebuilder told me that unless you are either building a race car or doing a concours restoration that rebuilding isn't cost effective. In my case it wasn't.

#32 ·
I've used every shock they sell at parts stores and have never been happy with any of them except the Koni Str.t and bilsteins. Nothing Monroe or Gabriel makes seems any better than the 15 dollar no name jobbers. If you just need to hang some part to keep it together then get the 15 dollar shocks.

The Str.t's are fine for your daily driver VW or whatever. If you want it to ride like it has some purpose in life then you need the Bilstein's or better. I know they are 100 bucks a stick, but it's better to spend 400 and be happy than to spend 200 and feel like you wasted 200.

#38 ·
The Str.t's are fine for your daily driver VW or whatever. If you want it to ride like it has some purpose in life then you need the Bilstein's or better. I know they are 100 bucks a stick, but it's better to spend 400 and be happy than to spend 200 and feel like you wasted 200.
In the premium parts business this is our mantra.....

Attachments

#33 ·
My philosphy exactly copracr.....I didn't spend thousands on this car and months of backbreaking work just to not use quality stuff. One of the things I love about this Forum.

New Radiator and fan/clutch go in tomorrow. The rear leafs and 4 Bilstein shocks will be next weekend. But they are now here.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.