Vintage Mustang Forums banner

The big sign on the gate says "No Alcohol In Pits"

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  stephen_wilson 
#1 ·
Happened by Orange County Speedway (a paved circle track) outside little ol' Roxboro NC this morning and drove up to what must be the racer's entrance.
So I guess the moonshine has to be kept up in the stands these days..."Dammit Bubba, I said only turn left!" :yoho::wink:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hah! :laugh:
I was at a wedding reception hereabouts after moving down from Michigan twenty-some odd years ago. One of the groomsmen was from the mountains and brought along a few jars of real deal homemade corn liquor. Whew. If you've never had the experience I'll try to describe it for you. First, you are very hesitant, or at least I was. After all this is for all intents and purposes poisonous stuff unapproved by the FDA or ATF or ABC and never mind the County Sheriff. But no way I wasn't gonna try it. Take a belt and it's smooth as heck right up until it hits the top back of your throat. Fire. Then you can actually feel it settling in your gut. Momentary fear of nausea. Then your whole body tingles warmly and life is good. Party on! Then you wake up the next morning, shake your head and say whew.
I suspect this thread could take a disturbing turn left now. :smile2:

#3 ·
back in the late 1970's, or very early 1980's, I went to a SCCA race at Hallett Raceway (outside Tulsa Oklahoma). They hadn't been open very many years at that point. My brother was working one of corners and invited me along. We camped out in the adjacent woods, as did many of the local SCCA guys who were also volunteering to work the course during the weekend of races.

One of attractions that year was going to be the appearance of Paul Neuman, if I have to explain who he was, I just can't..... Anyway, he was racing one of his team Datsuns. IIRC if it was one of the coupes, or one of the 240z cars.

Before the big finals on Sunday, very late Saturday night, I mean really late, like all-of-bars-had-closed type late, we were sleeping out under the stars when all hell broke loose and all of us who were camping out came wide awake in a flash, and ran over to track to see what the h*ll was going on.

What happened was that Paul Neuman and his racing buddies had gotten stinking drunk back at their hotel and decided that it would be a VERY GOOD idea to break into the track and start racing in the wee hours of the morning. They knew they were way too drunk to do any regular racing, so as drunks often do, they had the brilliant idea to still race, but only in REVERSE. So that's what we saw, about 12 cars all running without lights weaving around the Hallett race course, in reverse, at maybe 15-20 mph and still ending up running into every hay bale in sight.

We finally got the drivers out of the cars and loaded into van which took them back to the hotel. The next day no one said a word about it, but most of the drivers were looking more than a little worse for wear when the flag dropped

Z

#6 ·
A friend moved to Monroe, NC in his mid twenties and stayed there for about ten years. He happened to be friendly with the locals as he had a small hobby farm. Came home one year for Christmas and had smuggled about a gallon of genuine backwoods shine packed in his luggage in shampoo bottles. We had a gathering at my apartment and he brought out the goods. Now, many of our stories can start with "this one time, when we were drinking" and this was no exception. I've never blacked out before, but I didn't and still do not, have a clue what went down that night after the shine started flowing.

#7 · (Edited)
When I first moved to upstate NY for a job, I lived in a motorhome for 3 months while the kids finished school. At a car show in the park next to the MH site there was a bluegrass band where I learned about a small bluegrass festival outside of town. So I packed up the MH and headed to the Owego NY fairgrounds and played till 2:30am moving from campsite to campsite jamming with different groups of wonderful players - then headed for the MH. I heard some kickass playing behind the MH and joined in for a "few minutes". Then the mason "jar" got pointed at me...

Like WC says, smooth till it hits your throat then you know exactly where it is in your body from then on. Tingly is a good expression along with a shot of energy. I then woke up on the floor of the MH about 3pm with a world class hurt and a memory of us watching the sunrise as we played but otherwise just a blurrrr... good times - good times...

#8 ·
And that, gentlemen, is why it is called White Lightning.

My grandfather made it during Prohibition and some of his clientele were cops, a judge, and the Colonel of a local military base. His policy was "drink the best and burn the rest". It was used as fuel for some of his farm equipment.
Dad still has some of "the best" (circa 1940s) in big glass Coca Cola bottles. We don't dare drink it, though.

They never raced but my Uncle Harold did, and he once finished a race upside down. There may have been alcohol involved.

#11 ·
In HS I worked at a pharmacy and the “Friday night” pharmacist was always drunk. One night I walked back and asked what he was drinking and he shows me a bottle of 100 proof pharmaceutical grade grain alcohol he used for compounding I think. I asked if I could try some and he said to go get a cup. I went to the coffee machine and returned with a styrofoam coffee cup. He laughed. Pours a little in and it eats right through the bottom of the cup. Of course this is the stuff that belongs in my stomach, so I find a porcelain coffe cup and come back for another go. Wowzers! That was some awful stuff! My stomach was jacked for day or two.

#14 ·
I don't know if my wife would know if I used deodorant or not since she says I smell like "outside" when I come in. I think it's a combination of diesel fuel, gasoline, car exhaust, mix fuel, cut grass, grease, differential gear oil, transmission fluid, dust, old cars, spray paint, hot metal, gun powder, solvent, gun oil, sawdust, firewood, and whatever the dog has been rolling in. THAT'S what I call a day OFF ! It's my own special blend and if I were to bottle that, it would be called something like "Garage" or "Tool".
It definitely ain't B.O...I do bathe and use deodorant, I just don't think it really matters after a little while.

#16 ·
My old neighbor Vern lived up to his name. In HS his buddy was Junie Donlavey of NASCAR fame. Junie and Vern use to run moonshine shine for Junie’s uncle until Vern got caught by the Woods brother’s uncle who was a sheriff.

Vern ran the camera crews for WABC TV for the Wide World of Sports as well as NASCAR races. Vern was the guy who put cameras in the cars in the 80’s.

Anyway Vern was telling me about a road trip in Mexico where he ended up being the high lighted performer at a brothal show. He was too drunk to “perform” he told me.

#17 ·
Huh, deodorant is Not a turn I expected to take .....

You don't have to travel to get moonshine, I've had several friends and co-workers with stills!

PS I think if you do it wrong, you can get some hazardous chemicals. Not sure about Glycol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.