Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Maintenance/Upgrade Time

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dobrostang 
#1 ·
Went to the storage room today and took out the 65 for a Sunday breakfast cruise. As I pulled in the driveway to pickup the misses I see coolant on the passenger floor mat. I popped the hood to bypass the heater core an see fuel on the intake manifold.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-Im in the middle of a heater core/heater box rebuild on the 67.....among other things.

I bought the 65 to be a driver, so Im going to do a bunch of stuff to make it a reliable driver.

Im going to replace the heater core but not hook it up. I think down here I can get away without heat/defrost.

Summit 500cfm carb and Weiand Street Warrior manifold.

Aluminum H2O pump.

Upgrade the AC to R134.

Recommendations:

Which aluminum H2O pump with passenger side outlet?

R12 to R134 upgrade kit? Any one better or worse?

Im also trying to lighten up the front end. When I do this work I will also install a PS pump bracket.

See less See more
#3 ·
I drive mine year round (beauty of living in the South) and, heck yeah, ya need heat in these cars. I used mine less than a week ago with that little cool snap that came through to take the boys to school and that Ford MagicAire heater sure felt good. You could put in a manual heater control valve, and kinda hide it if you wanted, if you want to remove most of the flow of heat to the interior during the summer. I just open the floor vents and windows, and cruuuuuuise.

Edelbrock had a good Hi Perf alum water pump at one time, and there may be something better out there. I think Weiand makes one also.

I want to keep the stock look of the Dealer Air in the Emberglo 66 and considering a R134a update that would be invisible except to an MCA judge.

#4 ·
As far as heat, we have coats.

I would like to add a fan clutch but dont want to add the weight.

Im making a list. Lots of odds and ends, thermostat & housing, gaskets, hoses, belts, fuel filter, carb studs.

#5 ·
I’m using a PRW aluminum pump. Basically a Chinese copy of the Edelbrock pump. When I bought it I thought it was a open box or returned unit without a box as the specs and photos looked exactly like a Edelbrock. I thought maybe they weren’t allowed to mention Edelbrock since it was less money. It wasn’t until I received it I realized it wasn’t what I thought. I thought it was a bait and switch. I was going to file a complaint with eBay until I realized it was my fault. With that great disappointment I must say it’s made very nicely and I’ve had no issues at all with it. No complaints

#6 ·
I want to keep my stock air cleaner. Did Ford ever make a snorkel that does not have a heat riser?

#8 ·
What a PITA.

I ordered an engine assembly manual over a month ago, its still on back order.

I want to install the PS pump bracket and replace the non-PS pulleys with the correct PS & AC pulleys.

I cant figure out what pulleys I need. Ford did us no favors. Almost makes me want to install a SBC.....well maybe not. But its still a PITA.

#9 ·
There are a few things you just have to address if you want a dependable car. Heater core is a big one, its gonna go and once replaced, your good for another 50 years. A/C is another big one, replace it all and be done with it or expect "issues". Same with radiator/ cooling system, alternator/regulator and fuel pump. Along with hoses, belts and battery - Just get it all over with once and for all. Then go driving, OR go driving and do them on the side of the road or after a flatbed event...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.