Maintenance/Upgrade Time - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Maintenance/Upgrade Time

Went to the storage room today and took out the 65 for a Sunday breakfast cruise. As I pulled in the driveway to pickup the misses I see coolant on the passenger floor mat. I popped the hood to bypass the heater core an see fuel on the intake manifold.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-Im in the middle of a heater core/heater box rebuild on the 67.....among other things.

I bought the 65 to be a driver, so Im going to do a bunch of stuff to make it a reliable driver.

Im going to replace the heater core but not hook it up. I think down here I can get away without heat/defrost.

Summit 500cfm carb and Weiand Street Warrior manifold.

Aluminum H2O pump.

Upgrade the AC to R134.

Recommendations:

Which aluminum H2O pump with passenger side outlet?

R12 to R134 upgrade kit? Any one better or worse?

Im also trying to lighten up the front end. When I do this work I will also install a PS pump bracket.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Do a heater delete Less to leak and lightens the car all in one shot. I'm just using a parts store special water pump
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...231364_0_25998

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...eVehicle=false

Brad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Garage
I drive mine year round (beauty of living in the South) and, heck yeah, ya need heat in these cars. I used mine less than a week ago with that little cool snap that came through to take the boys to school and that Ford MagicAire heater sure felt good. You could put in a manual heater control valve, and kinda hide it if you wanted, if you want to remove most of the flow of heat to the interior during the summer. I just open the floor vents and windows, and cruuuuuuise.

Edelbrock had a good Hi Perf alum water pump at one time, and there may be something better out there. I think Weiand makes one also.

I want to keep the stock look of the Dealer Air in the Emberglo 66 and considering a R134a update that would be invisible except to an MCA judge.

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
•Original Styled Steel Wheels
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console
...son's first car

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

As far as heat, we have coats.

I would like to add a fan clutch but dont want to add the weight.

Im making a list. Lots of odds and ends, thermostat & housing, gaskets, hoses, belts, fuel filter, carb studs.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM

I’m using a PRW aluminum pump. Basically a Chinese copy of the Edelbrock pump. When I bought it I thought it was a open box or returned unit without a box as the specs and photos looked exactly like a Edelbrock. I thought maybe they weren’t allowed to mention Edelbrock since it was less money. It wasn’t until I received it I realized it wasn’t what I thought. I thought it was a bait and switch. I was going to file a complaint with eBay until I realized it was my fault. With that great disappointment I must say it’s made very nicely and I’ve had no issues at all with it. No complaints

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I want to keep my stock air cleaner. Did Ford ever make a snorkel that does not have a heat riser?

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Which aluminum H2O pump with passenger side outlet?
I think you mean passenger side inlet.

Quote:
Im also trying to lighten up the front end. When I do this work I will also install a PS pump bracket.
PS will increase the weight of the front end even with all of those aluminum parts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

What a PITA.

I ordered an engine assembly manual over a month ago, its still on back order.

I want to install the PS pump bracket and replace the non-PS pulleys with the correct PS & AC pulleys.

I cant figure out what pulleys I need. Ford did us no favors. Almost makes me want to install a SBC.....well maybe not. But its still a PITA.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:47 PM

There are a few things you just have to address if you want a dependable car. Heater core is a big one, its gonna go and once replaced, your good for another 50 years. A/C is another big one, replace it all and be done with it or expect "issues". Same with radiator/ cooling system, alternator/regulator and fuel pump. Along with hoses, belts and battery - Just get it all over with once and for all. Then go driving, OR go driving and do them on the side of the road or after a flatbed event...

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page