351 Cleveland Value - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
351 Cleveland Value

I am kind of thinking of buying a 351C I know about, and am just curious what a reasonable value would be, because it isn't something I have to buy. I am positive this is a 4V head, 4-bolt engine, and it is complete from the factory 4V (cast iron) intake manifold to the exhaust manifolds (no factory carb however). I do not know if they are open chamber 4V heads, or closed chamber 4V heads, so I will assume they are open chamber to stay on the safe side.

I have seen it running, and it doesn't show any problems, or signs of burning oil. I don't know what compression ratio it has in it, however it does have a very mild cam that isn't a good fit for what the Cleveland was designed for, and I know it has been rebuilt before so it probably has a .03 overbore, or something close. If I bought it, I would do so with the thought of going through it, or at minimum, put a different cam in it. Is $500-$1000 a reasonable value for something like this, or ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Any Cleveland block can be converted to 4 bolt mains. The open chamber 4V heads are just about worthless- nobody wants them. It has a worthless camshaft and cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds. How much did you say the guy is going to pay you to haul it out of his shop?
mqu02 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Any Cleveland block can be converted to 4 bolt mains. The open chamber 4V heads are just about worthless- nobody wants them. It has a worthless camshaft and cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds. How much did you say the guy is going to pay you to haul it out of his shop?

I wondered about this same thing, which is one of the reasons I asked on here. Very good point.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 PM

If you need one then pay whatever. If its 30 over minus %50, if more that 30 over minus %90.
I would pay $300-$500 Canadian if it has 4v closed, mains are mute point.
mqu02 likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:55 PM

Obviously you guys aren't around here.
A bare 351C block and crank (nothing else) goes for over $500. A complete running engine at least $1200. The 4V heads alone would go for $300 -500 for open chamber.

What year is this engine? Will help determine what it has.

For $500, I will pay you an extra $500 to deliver it to Phoenix. No joke.

Russ
mqu02 likes this.

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Obviously you guys aren't around here.
A bare 351C block and crank (nothing else) goes for over $500. A complete running engine at least $1200. The 4V heads alone would go for $300 -500 for open chamber.

What year is this engine? Will help determine what it has.

For $500, I will pay you an extra $500 to deliver it to Phoenix. No joke.

Russ
Interesting, and I am very unfamiliar with the values on these engines, which is why I asked. Iím sure I can get some date codes and additional info on this, but if my memory is correct, I seem to remember this as being a Ď71 engine - but I didnít write it down.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 AM

Value is very much location driven.
As far as the year, it would let you look up the engine to see what it came with from the factory, compression, cam, pistons, 4bolt (factory or not), etc.
Might be a help for you to decide.
Obviously, I would buy it in a second if it was local to me and I had the cash. Cause around here that engine would not be for sale for long at all.
Russ
mqu02 likes this.

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 AM

When I bought a '73 Torino with a 351C, a good friend who owns a garage and used to drag race told me the engine was worth as much as the rest of the car. Of course, due to emissions, it had been detuned to a shell of its former glory. A stock '71 would have been much better than my '73. But as has been said, the block is what the racing folks were looking for at the time.
mqu02 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Garage
I'd be happy to pay under a G-note for a complete, good running 351C-4V engine that is a gasket set away from dropping into a car. If you don't plan on using the factory intake or exhasut manifolds, there are plenty of people that are looking for those items in good condition for stock restorations.
mqu02 likes this.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
I dont believe what im reading here. worthless, no one wants it, take it for free. junk it. wtf

I do agree the heads are a bit of a dog for the streets and wont really kick in to about 3500 RPM even witha decent cam set up. yes exhaust manis are lacking potential

2v is better and are about the same size as 4V chevy SB heads of the day

but both the 2V and 4V C heads are some of the best stock production units ever to come out of Detroit

a modern day variation of them are still used today in NASCAR.

the only draw back to stock C heads are the 2 piece valves
mqu02 likes this.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.

Last edited by Blues Power; 05-20-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
For what it's worth I see a 351C with a C6 and 650cfm Edelbrock for $1500 here in SoCal, no idea on mileage. A pair of heads is about $400.
mqu02 likes this.

___
JeffH

66 Coupe, 302-4V, SROD
(had to create new username when I changed email address)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM

- Good Cleveland blocks are getting hard to find.

- The 4-bolt main thing is no big deal. Cleveland 2-bolt mains are plenty beefy. As mentioned, they can easily be converted to 4-bolt mains if you want to go crazy. Of course, if it already has 4-bolt mains, it doesn't hurt.

- Open chamber 4V Cleveland heads are very useful. You can mill them and combine them with a decked block to boost compression. What's that? You can't do this because they will detonate? That applies to wedge heads and not Cleveland heads. Many racers do this with open chamber Cleveland 2V and 4V heads. (The whole thing about "quench" is mostly nonsense.)

- The cam is indeed critical to Cleveland performance. Back in the 70s and 80s, a lot of people installed whatever cam they had sitting on the shelf at the local speed shop. Those cams typically had a profile designed for a small block Chevrolet which doesn't work well for a Cleveland. This is one of the reasons you used to hear about 4V Clevelands being a dog on the street. They had the wrong cam (in addition to other wrongs).

- Yeah, the original 4V heads had 2-piece valves which were prone to random failure. Definitely check, but it's highly unlikely for a running Cleveland to still have the factory valves.

- If you do buy that Cleveland, I would suggest you do a lot of research before modifying it. Clevelands are great engines, but they are unique; even downright weird. Build carefully and you'll be thrilled.

Have fun!

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
For somebody that WANTS a correct (and serviceable) 351C block & heads with date-coding a plus then maybe it's worth it but then think about it....

It's got the same 4 inch bore and 3.5 inch stroke as a Windsor. The bore spacing is the same, it's the same 90* between banks... Because of the additional .3 inch deck, the Windsor runs a longer rod and it also has beefier main and rod journals. They are balanced the same at 28 oz/in imbalance. The Windsor's oiling system is superior.

In essence, it's all about the heads, or should I say "head design". Just like aluminum aftermarket heads for Windsor's there are choices in Cleveland heads for 351C blocks or for use with 8.2 & 9.5 inch Windsor blocks and a "Clevor" intake. However, if you're going to go through the expense of building a killer 351W-based motor, wouldn't it look (and run) sweet with some Hammerhead HEMI heads?
mqu02 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
However, if you're going to go through the expense of building a killer 351W-based motor, wouldn't it look (and run) sweet with some Hammerhead HEMI heads?
Spending his money, are we?

Allen
mqu02 and Woodchuck like this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for the replies, and they help me out a lot. This wouldn't be a high-budget build regardless, and like I said, it isn't anything I have to buy. The person that has it for sale is out for a few days, but from what I am getting from everyone, I shouldn't get too hurt on it spending a maximum of $500, or ideally even less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page