HEDMAN HEADERS or DOUGS HEADERS? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By patrickstapler
  • 1 Post By blueovalfan68

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
HEDMAN HEADERS or DOUGS HEADERS?

Does anyone know if the steering box and long shaft will need to be removed in order to install headers and then reinstalled? Also has anyone with a 302 Stroker motor in a 64-1/2 Coupe used Dougs headers with success?

64-1/2 MUSTANG RESTOMOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 PM

I have long tube hedman headers and there worked just fine with the stock steering in my 66. I later went with borgeson power and it they worked ok with that too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
I had Hedman long tubes on my 66 Mustang with the only issue being a lowered car and speed bumps .
I much prefer my current Hedman shorties.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
^^^^I second this recommendation. Awesome fit and finish.
66stangFb likes this.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I appreciate the recommendation guys but my other question is if the steering box and shaft are in the way of installing the headers? Are the FPA headers pricey? Thanks!

64-1/2 MUSTANG RESTOMOD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
I'd put a recommendation to FPA or Accufab.

Although i have a set of Dougs on the convertible and didnt have interference issues other than with the spark plugs. I had to dimple it on the #5 to clear the plug if I remember right.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEHABUR View Post
I appreciate the recommendation guys but my other question is if the steering box and shaft are in the way of installing the headers? Are the FPA headers pricey? Thanks!
I have been able to install long tube headers with the steering box and steering shaft in place. It’s a PITA, but doable.

The FPA recommendation is out there cause their headers fit really well.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:01 PM

Yes, the Hedman Headers go in with the box and shaft in place. I believe you will find it easier to fish them up from below, rather than try to stuff them in from above. Ramps on the front wheels should do the trick.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
$1000...6-8 week lead time. Theyíre that good. Other than valve train, it will probably be my next purchase. My boss has them on his Ď66. They have clearance everywhere...and plenty of it.

Regards,
Patrick
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if the steering box and long shaft will need to be removed in order to install headers and then reinstalled? Also has anyone with a 302 Stroker motor in a 64-1/2 Coupe used Dougs headers with success?

No and Yes. Caveat...I used Dougs Tri Ys on a 65 and not a 64.5, but is there a difference as far as this goes?

Tracy Blackford
65 Mustang FB, 331 built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.89 9" TL rear. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

Daily Driver - 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collectors Edition

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
$1000...6-8 week lead time. Theyíre that good. Other than valve train, it will probably be my next purchase. My boss has them on his Ď66. They have clearance everywhere...and plenty of it.
Your assessment is spot on. I spoke with Stan from FPA yesterday and he told me the exact same thing. Sounds as if they may be the best in the industry but they are big time back logged. They, like everyone across the country are having a tough time hiring fabricators and/or people that want to work with their hands... Such a shame. The product photos on their website look fantastic. Thanks for all the insight!

64-1/2 MUSTANG RESTOMOD
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Thumbs Up Itís not that long

Quote:
Your assessment is spot on. I spoke with Stan from FPA yesterday and he told me the exact same thing. Sounds as if they may be the best in the industry but they are big time back logged. They, like everyone across the country are having a tough time hiring fabricators and/or people that want to work with their hands... Such a shame. The product photos on their website look fantastic. Thanks for all the insight!
I know waiting six to eight weeks seems like forever, but youíll likely have your headers for the life of owning the Mustang. Iíve used several types of headers on my two Ď66 and there was always one side (usually left) that had a super tight fit. Iím using the FPA step header, with no HP loss as proven on a chassis dyno, and the clearance is helpful when plucking and installing the motor. The step header is also a good choice for street use (mine is racing). Iím also using the Total Control rack and pinion so I canít help with your actual question, but I do think the wait is worth it for the FPA.

Darrell George
'66 Fastback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page