Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Vintage Mustang Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/)
-   -   I'm building a console (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1157570-im-building-console.html)

New2me 05-19-2019 10:07 PM

I'm building a console

6 Attachment(s)
I'm no carpenter. I'm much more comfortable with a wrench in my hand than a saw, but for various reasons I decided that I needed a custom console. After looking around at consoles made by TMI and MTF and seeing how expensive even an unmodified unit is, I decided to try making one myself.

I had no idea about how to go about it, so I figured that I'd start by mocking one up out of some cardboard.

I have no idea how to flip the pictures around.

ianellis 05-19-2019 10:17 PM

Iím looking forward to seeing this progress! I have been considering doing the same. I love the MTF console, but cost is a bit high for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New2me 05-19-2019 10:31 PM

7 Attachment(s)
After getting the mock up done it was time to shop. I got some nice 1/2" plywood from Lowe's. Its not taken quite a half a sheet. Then it was time to start measuring, cutting, fitting, cussing, trying to remember long forgotten geometry lessons, and a bit more cussing.

The rats nest of wire you see is the excess wire for the transmission controller. I had decided to integrate the controller into the console and I've since shortened the wires up to the length they need to be.

New2me 05-19-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianellis (Post 10163834)
Iím looking forward to seeing this progress! I have been considering doing the same. I love the MTF console, but cost is a bit high for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point I've got about $50 into it. I plan to have it upholstered, so I know the end cost will go up.

New2me 05-19-2019 10:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A bit more progress over the weekend. I still need to get a couple of new a/c vents to put in above the controller and I need to find some cup holder inserts that are big enough to hold a pop bottle and find someone in the area that does custom upholstery.

jgrote 05-19-2019 10:47 PM

It looks really good. I'd guess you're looking at a couple hundred bucks to get it upholstered to the same quality as the rest of your interior. My car has a factory console, which I like the look of, but I'd really like cup holders.

New2me 05-22-2019 03:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my new a/c vents, cup holders, and shift boot today. Its beginning to look like it belongs in the car, at least I think so. I guess the next step is to find an upholstery shop and buy some vinyl.

MustangGrande302 05-22-2019 04:03 PM

If you can't find an upholstery shop nearby, go to a car interiors shop or someplace where you can find material. For your car, I would say doing a white on red console to match the red and white theme you have going on. Red for primary, white for the small trim and stuff. I may be able to help you with some other question if you have any.

MikeG69 05-22-2019 04:10 PM

I am also building a custom console for my 69 Coupe, & I did the same thing by mocking it up with cardboard first to see if I would like it.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...0-1496-1-a.jpg

BlakeTX 05-22-2019 04:31 PM

This is looking great! Keep us posted on progress. I love this kind of project because it's pretty do-able for most hobbyists and everybody adds their own unique details to it.

New2me 05-22-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangGrande302 (Post 10165430)
If you can't find an upholstery shop nearby, go to a car interiors shop or someplace where you can find material. For your car, I would say doing a white on red console to match the red and white theme you have going on. Red for primary, white for the small trim and stuff. I may be able to help you with some other question if you have any.

I intend to have the center section, from the dash to the cup holder panel, be white and the rest red. I'm just not sure if I want that section upholstered or if I want to bend some aluminum to fit that section and paint it white.

The seat upholstery is TMI and I see they sell the vinyl by the yard. I also see that NPD stocks TMI vinyl. That should get me the same color and grain as the seats.

New2me 05-22-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakeTX (Post 10165452)
This is looking great! Keep us posted on progress. I love this kind of project because it's pretty do-able for most hobbyists and everybody adds their own unique details to it.

Thanks Blake, and yes its pretty do-able even with basic tools. I've used a circular saw, 3/8 drill, sabre saw, and a cheap hand mitre saw on a portable bench made of two sawhorses and an old door. Believe me, if I can do this, then pretty much anyone can.

Seabseattle 05-24-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2me (Post 10163846)
After getting the mock up done it was time to shop. I got some nice 1/2" plywood from Lowe's. Its not taken quite a half a sheet. Then it was time to start measuring, cutting, fitting, cussing, trying to remember long forgotten geometry lessons, and a bit more cussing.

The rats nest of wire you see is the excess wire for the transmission controller. I had decided to integrate the controller into the console and I've since shortened the wires up to the length they need to be.

This looks great so far. Want to build me one! Ha.

DrHawkeye 05-24-2019 11:25 AM

Doing that with a 3D printer would be bad-***.

Boss5Oh 05-24-2019 12:49 PM

Thanks for sharing your progress on this. My trans tunnel will be modified with a Lokar shifter, so I need a custom console in mine. I like seeing the process you have gone through going from cardboard to wood. I will be watching your progress and likely following in your footsteps.