"high quality" Fuel Sending Unit with Foam Float - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes
  • 6 Post By LeeFred
  • 1 Post By cougar70

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Unhappy "high quality" Fuel Sending Unit with Foam Float

Summer of 2016 my Ford OEM fuel tank sending unit failed so I replaced it with this "improved" version that is stainless steel and corrosion resistance. Well, I guess they forgot to focus much attention on the simplest of items, the rubber seal between the metal body and the plastic signal connector, which is riveted to the body. This seal cracked yesterday and started dripping so I'll be heading to the Mustang parts house tomorrow to buy another sender. This sender was very accurate, as I tested it, but having to drain the fuel and replace it every couple years is disappointing.

Additionally, the foam float began cracking so not sure how long it would actually last. I tested it and it still floats well but it wasn't cracked when I installed it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/FSU1/p/FSU1/

Any recommendations for sending units that last?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-05-19 17.13.18.jpg (261.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-05-19 17.12.13.jpg (438.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-05-19 17.11.59.jpg (306.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-05-19 17.11.37.jpg (255.1 KB, 8 views)

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:02 PM

Here's my thought on current fuel sending units:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angry Mob Meme.jpg (109.6 KB, 8 views)
gwstang, zray, Brent and 3 others like this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
I've been through a few sending units, and have 2 sitting it the garage that only sorta worked. A friend replaced it in his '65 with one from NAPA and he says it works fine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I've been through a few sending units, and have 2 sitting it the garage that only sorta worked. A friend replaced it in his '65 with one from NAPA and he says it works fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked NAPA and while they have a sending unit for the '66 Mustang in stock, it's double the price ($80) of most Mustang houses and it's made by Spectra Premium.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/STPFG86A

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't consider Spectra Premium products to be high quality. It's the cheapest, barely adequate new stuff money can buy. There's a good chance the sender isn't compatible with the fuel gauge. And just because NAPA charges double the price for their part doesn't make it any better either.

rockauto.com/.../ford,1966,mustang,4.7l+289cid+v8,,fuel+sending+uni t.

.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-FG86A-
GypsyR likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
I wouldn't consider Spectra Premium products to be high quality. It's the cheapest, barely adequate new stuff money can buy. There's a good chance the sender isn't compatible with the fuel gauge. And just because NAPA charges double the price for their part doesn't make it any better either.

rockauto.com/.../ford,1966,mustang,4.7l+289cid+v8,,fuel+sending+uni t.

.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-FG86A-
Agreed. I didn't clearly communicate that in my post but the price coupled with the lesser quality of Spectra Premium is a huge downside. I just ended up finding a Scott Drake sender locally.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Agreed. I didn't clearly communicate that in my post but the price coupled with the lesser quality of Spectra Premium is a huge downside. I just ended up finding a Scott Drake sender locally.
At least one of the ones sitting in my garage is a Scott Drake. The other one may be as well, but I don't remember. The one in the car is from NPD. If I could combine the 2, it would work great. The Drake goes to full when full, but reads empty when it's still about half full, as I discovered when I filled it up and put 8 gallons in a 16 gallon tank. The NPD almost goes to half when full, but empty is really empty. I keep wondering if it's the gauge, but based on that it seems like the gauge works, but the input to it isn't completely accurate.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Well I thought I was getting a SD sending unit but when I arrived at my local Mustang parts house they only had one type in stock, the same "modern, high quality" version I've had in my '66 the last couple years. Not sure who makes it but this modern design version is supposedly the best on the market. I went ahead and bought it because I tested it the last time I installed it and the readings are very accurate. I'll test it again when I install the new one this weekend and share my findings.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Supporting Member

OK, I know everyone is sick and tired of hearing this (from me):

the best sending units I've EVER used have come out of pathetic rusty Mustangs that were sitting in a junkyard for 10 to 20+ years. They were 50+ year old Ford parts that somehow still performed better than the reproduction parts.

Is there a limited number of these original sending units ? Sure. So you better start looking now.

tracking down a Mustang boneyard and pulling parts may not be as easy as shopping online, but it sure is more satisfying to get a part that still works as it should.

Z

PS most, if not all, successful Mustang and Shelby repair and restoration shops have their own private Mustang boneyard. If you cultivate a relationship with these owners, you too will have some access to these great treasure troves of GOOD used parts. And it's not just for sending units either. I use these private boneyards for good used Ford rear end gears. Which have ALWAYS performed better for me than anyones new production parts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
OK, I know everyone is sick and tired of hearing this (from me):

the best sending units I've EVER used have come out of pathetic rusty Mustangs that were sitting in a junkyard for 10 to 20+ years. They were 50+ year old Ford parts that somehow still performed better than the reproduction parts.

Is there a limited number of these original sending units ? Sure. So you better start looking now.

tracking down a Mustang boneyard and pulling parts may not be as easy as shopping online, but it sure is more satisfying to get a part that still works as it should.

Z

PS most, if not all, successful Mustang and Shelby repair and restoration shops have their own private Mustang boneyard. If you cultivate a relationship with these owners, you too will have some access to these great treasure troves of GOOD used parts. And it's not just for sending units either. I use these private boneyards for good used Ford rear end gears. Which have ALWAYS performed better for me than anyones new production parts.
Had I known the problems with the sending units, I woulda saved my old one and found someone to rebuild it, but it was pretty rusty and the float was actually bent up (no idea how it got bent up inside the tank), so it got tossed with the old rust-filled tank.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I kept having float issues on my truck with dual tanks. I even got genuine Ford brass floats and they would still give up about a year later. IE, develop a pinhole and sink. Bumbling around the junkyard I happened to notice later models had a foam "fudgsicle" looking float. They had a couple of "bad" pumps that I gave next to nothing for just to get the floats. The arms were radically different though. But I wrangled them around until I got the wire rebent, configured, and attached to my fuel pump assemblies. That was like ten years ago now.

There ARE NO senders out there for my VW truck. I ended getting one for a different model and transplanting ALL the parts over to my base. Re-riveting the sender wire and all. Pain. The needle only goes up to 3/4 since but otherwise works fine. I've no interest in revisiting THAT one.

And now you guys are telling I need to gird up my loins for battle with Mustang senders. Even though I can just buy a new one off the shelf. OK. I do appreciate the heads up and certainly won't be tossing my originals out of hand.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I wonder what the quality and "adaptability" is for the ones that Holley is selling?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-161
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:39 AM

A unit like this will correct most inaccurate senders: MeterMatch
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
I wonder what the quality and "adaptability" is for the ones that Holley is selling?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-161
I'm currently using a holley 12-305 pump and sending unit. So far the sending unit has been pretty much dead on. Just my experience, YMMV.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page