7Likes
  • 1 Post By Knapper
  • 3 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By Hemikiller
  • 1 Post By BradAlbrecht
  • 1 Post By 69bossnine

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

NPD Torque Box ?

Rick, I see a lot of different torque boxes made and prices seem to be from $60 to just over $100. The left side on the one I got with my car does not fit the firewall at all and it will take a lot of work to get it to fit. So Iím asking whats a better fit as NPD also lists a couple different ones..
Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Although Rick is pretty good about getting back to people on the forum, he does get busy...you might have better luck calling NPD directly.

I will be interested in the answer, as I will be doing this eventually.
Israel likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 AM

I did my 66 last year. After doing it I realized what the issue is. Besides 50 years of road use and iffy build quality itís that what the factory did and what we do are two different things. We buy either the 1 piece or 2 piece boxes. As built from the factory we would be just using half of the torque box, only the outer wheel side. When we use the whole box from the kit, the inner toe board is actually meant to be the toe board inside the car. How ever we are doubling up on the toe board or putting 6 pounds into a 5 pound bag. I elected to double up with the idea that it may help strengthen it up. On the inner toe board section from the kit, itís intended to weld inside the car and cut a slit through the existing toe board. I folded the flange 180* so I didnít have to cut the toe board and weld everything from the wheel well side. Hereís my installation. Iím not saying I did it the best way just simply what I did to see basically how itís done.

Structurally my car is in excellent shape to begin with. No rust, accidents or abuse. It was tight to begin with. The car was pretty quiet anyway but once done with the boxes it seemed to be very quiet. Iím not hearing any squeaks or groans. Itís not so much what you notice but what you donít.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...-box-time.html
Huntingky, Caper50 and Rowdy like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
What would be ideal is for them to offer a "retrofit" torque box intended for cars that originally didn't have them.
John_Del likes this.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
What would be ideal is for them to offer a "retrofit" torque box intended for cars that originally didn't have them.
Rust

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys but I would like to here as other said also what Rick has to say about them as they offer a couple different ones..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
Personally, I am now avoiding the Canadian made parts listed on NPD, as those are Spectra Premium (to my experience). I have not found their sheet metal to either be complete, or fit well. While it is a thicker steel, it seems to be built for you to complete and work in. For example, the passenger rear skirt (behind the shock tower) did not have all the holes of an original. The wheel wells were not formed correctly, etc. Also, for the front torque box, get the two piece. That should cut back on the options quite a bit. I will have to do some digging to get you a part number for mine (one came with the car, other from NPD) but they went in well on my 65. I may be avoiding some of the issues Tom ran into since its all new metal in that area.
Huntingky likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAlbrecht View Post
Personally, I am now avoiding the Canadian made parts listed on NPD, as those are Spectra Premium (to my experience). I have not found their sheet metal to either be complete, or fit well. While it is a thicker steel, it seems to be built for you to complete and work in. For example, the passenger rear skirt (behind the shock tower) did not have all the holes of an original. The wheel wells were not formed correctly, etc. Also, for the front torque box, get the two piece. That should cut back on the options quite a bit. I will have to do some digging to get you a part number for mine (one came with the car, other from NPD) but they went in well on my 65. I may be avoiding some of the issues Tom ran into since its all new metal in that area.
Yeah, I fell for the "Premium" label several times and not a single Spectra item, torque boxes included, fit without a lot of work.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
I just purchased the 1 piece units from CJPP and have been studying the assembly manual, it appears that the fire wall portion (inner panel/toe board?) is spot welded to the original fire wall/toe board? That's easy to do before the a-pillar and rockers are welded on, so I plan on drilling plug weld holes in the TB to weld to the toe board. I don't know that it will make any difference, but I'm replacing the floor panels at the same time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sorry, I was travelling all weekend and yesterday...

The pros/cons between our Spectra and our imported torque boxes, and how they might apply to a 1966 installation, is not something that I have any real experience with. I must defer to Scott Halseth, who is our Mustang Project Manager. Please email him at [email protected] . Or call 1-800-521-6104, and ask for him directly.

Rick
NPD
Huskinhano likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Thatís customer service ^^^^

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page