Speakers in a 66 vert - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
I built a console that has a radio/cassette player (in the center covered) and speakers on the sides. (This was 40 years ago.)

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i, Front Disc , Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tachometer, Cruise Control, Factory Style Luggage Rack, and a Glass Rear Window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSHarvey View Post
I built a console that has a radio/cassette player (in the center covered) and speakers on the sides. (This was 40 years ago.)

I have a console and AC so that's out. I'm looking at kick panel or door speakers and my doors don't have holes for speakers. Not sure I want to cut up my doors.

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM

they made a speaker pod for cougars that actually stuck out into the front fenders, cut a hole through the sheet metal behind the kick panels, and were able to mount speakers that didn't stick out into the footwell. I have thought about it, and discarded it.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM

Garage
The speaker pods suggested by Jedi when coupled with a kick panel with built in flush speaker grills from someone like Rhino Fabrication provide a very stealthy installation. While the factory Fairlane ones I had in my '67 Ranchero would not be a direct fit with a '66 Mustang, the concept does apply and might provide some guidance for a custom installation.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbosDad View Post
I've got a pair of Bose 101's on the back floor. Sound decent and don't have to cut anything.
That's an idea. Nobody ever sits back there anyway. But aren't Bose 101s 8 ohm speakers? I have a pair of Bose PA outdoor speaks in a aluminum case that sound great but they're in the trunk of my wife's 65 Vert. You can hear them fine when the top is up but hardly at all when the top is down. I may move the trunk speakers to the rear floor. She also has kick panel speakers that I added and a dual speaker dash speaker, which I believe are on the same channel as the speakers in the trunk.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
That's an idea. Nobody ever sits back there anyway. But aren't Bose 101s 8 ohm speakers? I have a pair of Bose PA outdoor speaks in a aluminum case that sound great but they're in the trunk of my wife's 65 Vert. You can hear them fine when the top is up but hardly at all when the top is down. I may move the trunk speakers to the rear floor. She also has kick panel speakers that I added and a dual speaker dash speaker, which I believe are on the same channel as the speakers in the trunk.

Tom,

How does it sound with the kick panel and the dash speaker? My car came with a cheap CustomAuto sound radio and Ken Harrison dual voice dash speaker.......not very impressed. I like listening to music when I drive. A little Red Barchetta with the top down puts a smile on my face every time!

Did a bit of research last night. Retro Sound does make some flush mounted speaker cones, but they stick out 3 inches and I wouldn't be able to use my high beams if I mounted them on the kick panels. Also they wouldn't fit if I put them on the rear seat quarter trim. So thinking unless I cut into my doors, kick panels and good dual voice dash are the way to go.

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophthos View Post
Tom,
So thinking unless I cut into my doors, kick panels and good dual voice dash are the way to go.
Yeah I can't bring myself to cut my good doors even to install factory or dealer correct speaker grilles and the best speakers on the planet. I am considering some Bose or other high-end speakers just under the back edge of the front seats and / or concealed under the edge of the lower dash. I have a pair of mediocre 6x9s on the package tray and a dual voice coil pair in the original top front dash.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophthos View Post
Tom,

How does it sound with the kick panel and the dash speaker? My car came with a cheap CustomAuto sound radio and Ken Harrison dual voice dash speaker.......not very impressed. I like listening to music when I drive. A little Red Barchetta with the top down puts a smile on my face every time!

Did a bit of research last night. Retro Sound does make some flush mounted speaker cones, but they stick out 3 inches and I wouldn't be able to use my high beams if I mounted them on the kick panels. Also they wouldn't fit if I put them on the rear seat quarter trim. So thinking unless I cut into my doors, kick panels and good dual voice dash are the way to go.
The Pioneer speakers that I put in the kick panels sound great. At first they sounded tinny. I took the panels back off and put some fiberglass insulation behind the speakers in the dead space and they really sound fuller. I'm sure there are better speakers out there for a higher price. The Pioneers I used are rater at 100 watts and I think the Retro Sound radio in my wife's 65 Vert is probably rated at 100 watts total, 25 watts per channel.
ophthos likes this.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Garage
I have these up front and can access the Hi/Lo beam switch easily...... I forget where I purchased them, it's been so long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1196.jpg (345.2 KB, 5 views)

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by kenash; 06-11-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: forgot pic
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
Yeah I can't bring myself to cut my good doors even to install factory or dealer correct speaker grilles and the best speakers on the planet. I am considering some Bose or other high-end speakers just under the back edge of the front seats and / or concealed under the edge of the lower dash. I have a pair of mediocre 6x9s on the package tray and a dual voice coil pair in the original top front dash.
I've looked before and have never found Bose speakers that were for an auto application. I saw some rear speaker mounted inside the rear seat back of a 66 or 67 Falcon. Could that be done in a Mustang Convertible?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
I have these up front and can access the Hi/Lo beam switch easily...... I forget where I purchased them, it's been so long.
They stick out a bit further. I put the kick panels with the speaker holes and bought the speakers separately for my wife's 65 Vert. https://www.cjponyparts.com/kick-pan...-1966/p/SPK21/
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
I've looked before and have never found Bose speakers that were for an auto application. I saw some rear speaker mounted inside the rear seat back of a 66 or 67 Falcon. Could that be done in a Mustang Convertible?

Tom, if you go back through these posts, you'll see where I posted a pic of installing speakers inside the CVT rear quarter panels. I used a bone yard set, so as, to not have my OEMs.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Tom
The Bose 101's I have are 4 ohm. Bought off craigslist and work great. Durable box that takes a beating from a 7 year old in the back
W
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbosDad View Post
Tom
The Bose 101's I have are 4 ohm. Bought off craigslist and work great. Durable box that takes a beating from a 7 year old in the back
W
I have several sets of the Bose cube surround sound speakers. I'll try those. They're 1/4 the size of the 101s and put out amazing sound in the house. If they sound great, they're cheap on eBay. They're small enough to fit under the front seat facing rearward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page