Tire and Wheel Questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By cmefly
  • 1 Post By Hemikiller

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire and Wheel Questions

I have discovered that the current tires on my car are from 2005!! I wonder how my relative managed to drive around on them for that long! Anyways, I need to get new tires and was wondering what are the best tires or tires? The tire size on my car is 235 60 15 and I am looking for tires that are great for the road, able to be used year around, and have a classic look. I know I could use coker tires, but I want to weigh out my other options too. Recently, I noticed that the center caps on my wheels are a bit rusty. How would you guys recommend getting the rust off? There are specks of it on the cap itself that don't seem to be affecting the structure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190521_145259.jpg (376.4 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 PM

Cooper Cobra comes in a 235-60-15
Huntingky and myfirstcar66 like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
Cooper Cobra comes in a 235-60-15
Is it a bit better than BF Goodrich? I looked at theres and it looks like something I could get also. Do you have any other options? I want to see what else I could use for my car.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:33 PM

The tires I just took off my car had been on since 1992. Cooper cobras are a good tire, as good or better than bfgs. For your center caps wad up some aluminum foil and dip it in water and scrub away.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
The tires I just took off my car had been on since 1992. Cooper cobras are a good tire, as good or better than bfgs. For your center caps wad up some aluminum foil and dip it in water and scrub away.
Yeah, I've seen coopers on most cars. I will think about it some more. Was going to get Michelins, but they don't have a tire of my size. By the way, thanks for the center cap trick! I will try it when I get home soon!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Garage
You're pretty much stuck with BFG Radial TA, Mickey Thompson Radial S/T or Cooper Cobras. The tire store brands are usually made by Cooper, as are the MTs. IMO, the BFGs are not worth the $50 price premium over the Cobras.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 AM

Garage
Just bought Cooper Cobra Gts for my 66 and so far so good. They actually have a tread wear warranty and the more expensive BFGs do not. You can turn white letters out or black walls out. I turned the black walls out and I like the cobra pattern. Have gotten a few compliments on that haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190513_161858.jpg (398.5 KB, 7 views)

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM

Does where they're made make a difference? Do you have to have raised white letters? Walmart shows the best retail price that also installs for the Coopers. You don't have that many choices for 235/60R in 15" rims.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 AM

I think you mentioned in another post that you have some rubbing? You might use this opportunity to make sure your wheels have the right backspacing and that the tire size you go with works on your car. The size you have now may not be the best option.

1965 C-code Coupe - 289 w/ C4. 9" w/ 3.25 LSD, 4 wheel Street or Track discs, GT350 coils w/ Arning drop, 4.5" mideyes, Cal-Tracs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire Rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
I think you mentioned in another post that you have some rubbing? You might use this opportunity to make sure your wheels have the right backspacing and that the tire size you go with works on your car. The size you have now may not be the best option.
Stang, this rubbing only affects the right wheel when I turn left. I plan to have it aligned on Saturday or Sunday after my car gets insured on Friday. The same day, I plan to try and get my carburetor tuned.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank You All!

By the way, thank you all for your suggestions! I wanted to see what other tires were out there like BF or Cooper since I wasn't sure which one was better. I see most of you recommend Cooper. I plan to get the Cooper tires later in the future since I believe my tires could last a little bit longer and I don't have much money for them at the moment. Probably in a few weeks when I get some more money, I will get them. Fortunately, I am going to get an alignment to fix the contact between the right tire and the fender when I turn left.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Is it driving nice and not wearing the tires oddly now?
Thats about max on tire size for the fronts and some can't even take that much so i wouldn't sacrifice good alignment specs for a few 10 or 20 MMs of width. You can save that $100 cost of an alignment and put it to tires that are slightly smaller and likely fix the rubbing. You should find a place that will give a free or 1/2 price alignment with new tires. You can try the 235's on the front with modern alignment specs and if they rub put them on the back and get a smaller pair for the fronts.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGrande302 View Post
By the way, thank you all for your suggestions! I wanted to see what other tires were out there like BF or Cooper since I wasn't sure which one was better. I see most of you recommend Cooper. I plan to get the Cooper tires later in the future since I believe my tires could last a little bit longer and I don't have much money for them at the moment. Probably in a few weeks when I get some more money, I will get them. Fortunately, I am going to get an alignment to fix the contact between the right tire and the fender when I turn left.
Most places I only saw BGF and Cooper in your size. Tirerack also has Pirelli in 235/60R15 but at a much larger price. Still Walmart has the best prices I've seen for the Cooper and BFGs.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 AM

I’m using Milestar tires, made by Cooper. You’re not going to go wrong with Coopers

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page