Trunk Separator Panel - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 36Likes

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:14 PM

You know, if we get rear-ended hard enough, our heads will be in the backseat anyway.

So maybe we'll just consider it a free cremation if the fire comes with it.
Feethurt likes this.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellis View Post
Well this is what happens when I read the forum late at night, but hereís a crazy idea... is there any reason you couldnít mount the tank from underneath? Without going out and looking at the car, Iím thinking maybe you could widen the mounting holes, add some rivnuts, lift the tank up from below and bolt it in from below, add some safety straps like the GM geniuses, and then weld a plate of metal over the top in your floor... creating a level trunk floor (no more spare I guess).

Ok, let me have it, feel free to tell me all the reasons this wonít work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I think that is a good idea. Just for simplicity sake I would just cut a 10 or 11 gauge panel that is the same template as the tank. Drill the holes in the same places and bolt through the floor and the panel. Then add a couple of straps front to back, also through original holes and that potential issue is solved. Thanks for the idea. I will be making this modification to my 67.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
If I was going to try an re-engineer the fuel tank mounting on an early Mustang I'd buy 2 tanks, cut the top off one tank and WELD it in place in the trunk floor, fully enclose and WELD in the filler neck area, then mount the new, complete, tank underneath with straps.

Of course, who's to say whether, in a rear-end collision, that THIS type of mounting might not perform as well as the way the factory intended? Sort of like the same issue I have on re-engineering seat belts to add a shoulder harness. Since the cars weren't made with them and the roof anchor points not engineered into the vehicle, would they perform as intended? Would they strangle the occupant if the car was hit in a certain way? Who knows unless NHTSA goes out, builds and tests a bunch of old Mustangs, which you know they ain't gonna do.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackelbarry View Post
Personally, I think that is a good idea. Just for simplicity sake I would just cut a 10 or 11 gauge panel that is the same template as the tank. Drill the holes in the same places and bolt through the floor and the panel. Then add a couple of straps front to back, also through original holes and that potential issue is solved. Thanks for the idea. I will be making this modification to my 67.

Make sure to post it when you do the mod! And for legal disclaimers: I am not an engineer and am in no way responsible for anything that may go wrong

Good luck!

post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 AM

If you're worried about it enough to do a trunk panel, tank armor, and re-hanging the tank, go ahead and install an actual racing fuel cell.
dobrostang and QuietChris like this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
If you're worried about it enough to do a trunk panel, tank armor, and re-hanging the tank, go ahead and install an actual racing fuel cell.

Agreed

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellis View Post
Make sure to post it when you do the mod! And for legal disclaimers: I am not an engineer and am in no way responsible for anything that may go wrong

Good luck!

Actually, I had not thought of it until it was brought up here. Also, there is no engineering involved as anyone who does this is only copying the method that is used on almost every current vehicle. For anyone that has even the most basic skills this is a 2-3 hour project and your car will still basically look stock. I just thought it was a good idea.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
Am I missing something? Maybe I misread or missed a reply but I donít recall anyone saying they were worried. I along with a few others like updating our cars while trying to keep the stock look. This is an easy mod that would copy the gas tank mounting system that is used in almost all current vehicles. YMMV.
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Ahhhhh......the internet........ A sure way to over engineer the simplest project.

The current tank spreads the weight along the entire perimeter of the trunk floor.

The straps concentrate the weight to four attachment points.

A popular mod is a bigger tank, which is just more fuel.

Another popular mod is relocating the battery to the trunk, which just adds a source of ignition to the fuel.

I for one am scared, I think I will sell everything and stay home. Amazon and Uber will deliver everything I need.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Ahhhhh......the internet........ A sure way to over engineer the simplest project.

The current tank spreads the weight along the entire perimeter of the trunk floor.

The straps concentrate the weight to four attachment points.

A popular mod is a bigger tank, which is just more fuel.

Another popular mod is relocating the battery to the trunk, which just adds a source of ignition to the fuel.

I for one am scared, I think I will sell everything and stay home. Amazon and Uber will deliver everything I need.

But can you really trust those Uber and amazon drivers to come to your home...

If one relocated the battery to the trunk, should they consider relocating the full tank to the engine compartment? That way it is completely safe from rear end collisions... also reduces the amount of fuel line you need to run!

vegasloki and Tackelbarry like this.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:52 PM

For those that might be concerned about an exploding tank this is about the only thing you can do. It's even specific for classic Mustangs. FIA spec, bladder and foam.

https://fuelsafe.com/early-mustang-c...l-enduro-cell/

68Ghost likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:02 PM

If your car gets gobsmacked in the back end, and intrusion is severe enough to rupture/puncture the tank, I don't think it matters whether it's strapped or bolted in. This would seem a moot point to me.

Perhaps the straps would snap after it's ruptured, and allow the tank to go skidding merrily down the highway throwing sparks as it barbecues the underside of your car?

Point being: I would not spend a lot of time and trouble changing everything about how the tank is mounted, for a very dubious return on 'safety'. For those saying "well, this is how modern carmakers do it!" you have to also consider how the frame of the car is designed to protect the tank. That's where the 'safety' comes in. The straps are typically for ease of installation/removal, especially since a lot of cars require you to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump.

If you think the straps are a big safety feature I think you're mistaken. Not saying it's worse than screwing it into the trunk floor. It's just different. For a Mustang or Cougar, I think it would be pointless. I am pretty sure a fuel cell would be a much smarter way to go, whether it's just a drop in like the original, or a strapped-in version that took you a month of Sundays to engineer and put in, along with tank armor, etc.

And putting your tank in the engine compartment next to all the moving high-temperature parts, high-voltage sparks, and combustion? genius! The only thing better that I can think of would be putting the tank in place of the passenger seat to ensure its protection from rear-end AND front-end collisions. *wry grin*

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:27 PM

Certainly the fuel cell is a great solution, as long as you donít mind spending a couple grand on a gas tank... if thatís not an option in the budget, then I think thereís nothing wrong with some interesting discussion exploring various options.

I think the consensus seems to be that, while this is a potential danger that has been identified, it doesnít seem to be very likely. With that said, I agree with an earlier comment that I will do anything/everything possible to make my car a little bit safer - acknowledging that it will obviously never be as safe as a new car, but thatís not a reason not to do whatever I can.

The idea behind the ďstrappedĒ suggestion above was to allow a solid plate to be welded in the trunk floor, thereby truly placing the tank on the outside of the vehicle. The straps may/may not be helpful, but if the tank does rupture it would remain outside the vehicle and wouldnít send fuel or fire into the passenger area.

After saying all that, this is probably just academic for me as I will likely never do more than the metal plate behind the rear seat... but itís fun to think about with a group of people so well acquainted with these cars!

Tackelbarry and Grimbrand like this.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Woodchuck;10168272] Would they strangle the occupant if the car was hit in a certain way? Who knows.../QUOTE]

SOMEbody is feeling rather dark at 12:33 am ;o)

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

WOW this became a popular thread. Thanks for all the replies guys, very interesting.

@Woodchuck this trunk separator panel has been objectively shown to significantly improve torsional rigidity. I'm sure a roll cage as you suggested would do more, but that's much more difficult, time-consuming, expensive, and intrusive. A trunk separator is a quick and easy installation that has almost no impact on the usability of the car.
Cars may not be popping rear glass, but improving the torsional rigidity can still improve handling and potentially even reduce strain/ metal fatigue in the unibody.
Grimbrand likes this.

Last edited by Feethurt; 05-29-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page