AAW - a hit and a miss - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By j persons
  • 1 Post By ajzride
  • 1 Post By deltadude
  • 1 Post By JeffH13

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

AAW - a hit and a miss

66 project. Still no engine or transmission in car. I got a good deal on an AAW complete wiring kit so I tore out all the old wiring and went to work. Yesterday I stuck the battery wire from the ignition bundle on the positive post and jury rigged a ground using vice grips and some romex. To my surprise when I opened the door, the courtesy lights came on. Feeling good, I turned the key and my new Marshall gauges did their samurai sword swing. I then tried the headlight switch and, success, head and tail lights. Feeling even better, I tried the turn signals, only the fronts worked, neither of the rears did. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM

That's a good start. With a new wiring system, I always test it using a 12V lantern battery. There's enough current to check continuity, but not enough amps to let the smoke out.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
That's a good start. With a new wiring system, I always test it using a 12V lantern battery. There's enough current to check continuity, but not enough amps to let the smoke out.

You can also find small 12V power supplies from miscellaneous electronics. I one from a wireless router that is [email protected] Works perfect for testing car electrical circuits.
mikec35 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:15 PM

Those are both great ideas. Going to be wiring my Pinto (wtf did he say?)and that will be a big help.
Thanks,
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351C from my soon to be scrapped Ranchero. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold. Or it may become a Pinchero. We'll see after the 79 is done.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Dez

I had the same issue when I wired my '67 last year with the same kit. Felt really stupid after spending way too much time troubleshooting before I realized that I had put the bulbs in the wrong way. There are two small posts on the bulb that hold them in the socket but they are at different heights on the bulb. If they are not lined up the right way in the socket it will apparently make them not work. My advice is start small and simple. If everything else you did works fine then the wiring aspect is probably fine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM

Hey are you interested in selling the factory harness you removed? I'm looking for one for a project.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I won't sell it to you but I'll give it to you. Let me know where.
Dez - thanks for the tip about the bulbs, I'll try that.
Grabber70Mach likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Grounds, grounds, grounds-always look at these- that being said I also had an issue with AAW on tailights- turns out it was a bad (misshapen) bulb socket (which really wasn't AAW but aftermarket "pigtail" to connect the tailights- Once I got another new pigtail it worked perfectly.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Sent you a pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:01 AM

The taillights do ground through the metal bucket to the frame. So if you don't actually have them installed in the car and they are just hanging loose, they won't work.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

The tail lights do work. Just the rear turn signals don't.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:45 AM

Garage
I didn't have blinkers when I installed the AAW in my 66. Turned out that the tabs in the tail light buckets were grounding against each other - I filed one down with a dremel and it worked so my local supplier let me exchange them. I also ran dedicated grounds from the buckets over to the frame around the fuel tank inlet. Too many years and paint jobs diminish the ability to get a good ground.
deltadude likes this.

___
JeffH

66 Coupe, 302-4V, SROD
(had to create new username when I changed email address)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:18 PM

I just finished my wiring on my 69. I was having issues as well with blowing fuses when I turned on my signals. Come to find out, when I installed the doors, I pinched a wire that ran to the curtesy lights on the passenger side. Once that was fixed, everything worked as it should. That made me super happy from the standpoint of knowing that other than that one issue, I did everything else right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page