Temporary Paint Job - Vintage Mustang Forums
 20Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Temporary Paint Job

Hello all,

Here is my scenario. I have a 1967 fastback that has been primed and in pieces for 15+ years. I also have a beater, rusty, 68 coupe that I picked up just because it could run and drive (though the electrical is hoaky at best). I've been upgrading the drivetrain on the coupe in hopes to swap that over to the fastback at a later date.

Now, the second big factor is that I am a high school shop teacher. And one thing that I've learned is that kids break stuff, scratch stuff, and care very little for other people's things. So, I'd love to bring my fastback to the shop, finally paint it, and start putting it back together again, but I know that it'd get all scratched up before it ever got finished.

My new plan/idea- What if I just got a quick single stage paint coat on the fastback so that I could get it it on the road again? It's been primed and in a garage for 15 years. If I build the car the way that I have dreamed, it'll take me 5 more years before I'm done. But if I could get it driving, that'd be awesome. I don't know... I'm kind of just thinking out loud. But I could get it driveable within a year. But then I don't want to be driving in the weather with just primer. Yet I don't want to paint it if we are going to be swapping motors, replacing the interior, etc.

If you were going to do a protective coat of paint, what color would you do? Just the same color as the final color? My main concern is something that is cheap (Since it is temporary) and also easy to sand and scuff for when I'm ready to go back and finally paint it.

I'm open to all other ideas too. That car has just sat too long. I'd like to get it on the road, but I just don't want to 1) do a great paint job and have it ruined. And 2) don't want to drive it primed and have it rust.

As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

See my Christian T Shirts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM

I like your idea of a quick single stage paint job for now and a final paint when finished. Heck I think even I could put a decent enough single stage to get me through a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
Paint it and swap the drivetrain while the kids are out of school?
Vinyl wrap?
An expoxy primer?
A light color base coat if final is dark, a dark color if final is light?

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Epoxy primers are generally not uv resistance I believe. At least Eastwood’s is not.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:36 PM

I say do whatever you need/can to get it on the road ASAP. It’s tragic to have such a car just sitting in pieces; and if you wait until you can do it perfect the first time, and I say this from experience (20 years of sitting), it will never happen! Unless of course you have unlimited time and unlimited money...

Try to resolve any rust if you can, but get it running! Plus, you will be way more juiced to keep working on it once it’s running - and you’ll be the cool teacher with a ‘68 fastback...

gijoe985 and 2nd 66 like this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:45 PM

Garage
I'd say get a Maaco paint job for it. They are cheap and do a fair job at painting. I'd say get one for your fastback as a temporary paint job before you get a better and more professional done one.
Huskinhano and vegasloki like this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:04 PM

I think the Maaco or other cheap job is the best bet. An inexpensive acrylic enamel is still going to be $150 or so in materials even if you can reduce it. Then there is masking, solvents, consumables. Here a respray job at Maaco starts at about $400. If you count your time and all the materials you'll be at or over $400. As noted above with the Maaco job you could drive it for a while probably even the 5 years you're planning on the build.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:20 PM

I believe the color my 67 vert was purchased with was known as "rattle can white" . It was used to cover the vintage burgundy.
Whatever works....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.JPG (60.1 KB, 6 views)

21 YEARS AND COUNTING
67 Convertible 289/C4
Originally Vintage Burgandy
Now Porsche Iris Blue Metallic
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:29 PM

Garage
Another option that you could do is to paint it yourself. If you do this though, you may need to practice on something and gain a bit more experience. Wouldn't fully recommend doing this though.

The more you work on something, the more familiar you become with it.

1970 Ford Mustang Grande 302 V8

"Lil' Red"

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:32 PM

The problem with using rattle can is that when it comes time for the good paint job it's all going to have to come off. As long as his current primer job is still good (unknown after 15 years) the AE job from Maaco can be used as substrate with proper prep. The rattle can has to come all the way off because you can't top auto paint over it. If he's planning on driving it for 5 years while he's building on it a rattle can job isn't going to last particularly if it sees much time in the sun.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Dimples

Garage
An ugly car that runs and you can enjoy will always be more beautiful than the pretty one (or eventual pretty one) that never leaves the garage. Throw a cheap paint job at it and enjoy.
Huskinhano, 2nd 66 and vegasloki like this.

The anvil of reality.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:46 PM

Second or third the "maaco" job. You'll literally have your car back in days. All they do is tape and spray. You'll clearly see where any imperfections are so you can knock them out before you do the final job someday.

The pain in the ***... you'll have to take the car apart again to do it all right. All trim, bumpers, emblems, lights, door handles, mirrors, etc.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
To be honest, my Mustang has an ok paint job. The paint is a bit fading in places and chipping near the broken bucket and bent part of the fender, but it does look ok and gives it a bit of character.

"Lil' Red"

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

SO, I never mentioned that I was painting it myself. (That said, Maaco still doesn't sound like all that bad of an idea.) I've painted a few cars....

Whether Maaco or not, what are your thoughts on door jams, under the fenders (below windshield) etc. If I assembly the car, then I'd have to pull things off to paint those again.

The fastback is actually 67. I'd like to paint it with the 68 highland green. (Bullitt). It has deluxe interior. My long term goal is basically making a car like the gt500cr, but with Bullitt styling. That's my dream at least.

What can Maaco do as far as colors goes? Otherwise I just paint it myself. I did all the bodywork 15 years ago...

As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

See my Christian T Shirts!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
You could do the door jams and fenders yourself. Knowing that they are parts that are sort of hidden from view, means that they won't be that much of an essential thing to get professionally painted at the moment. I say you could get the Maaco paint job for the body panels, etc, and then paint the fender underside, door jams, and other small parts that are not in view by yourself.

"Lil' Red"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page