428 CJ value - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By awhtx

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

428 CJ value

What is it worth? I have a guy wants to buy it for his 69 Shelby.

Or as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. I bought with the trans and shaker back in the 70’s from an ad in the penny pincher for a ‘blown 428 engine and trans”. At the time I wanted the trans for my 57 T-bird project I gave up on since. When I got there the guy had everything in his basement and the engine was dissembled down to nuts and bolts. I wiggled the trans input - but it did not even wiggle and bought the pile on the spot. I wondered around his basement looking at all the 428 parts expecting to see a broken rod and a block with the side punched out. Everything looked spotless and clean except for that POS cam gear with nylon teeth they used. It was missing a few teeth. The valves looked straight and the pistons showed no signs of being tagged. I asked the guy what was blown and he said he did not know he bought it from another guy that said it was blown and now he needed the money to pay the dentist – he had all his teeth pulled- and yes he did. Now there is a redneck joke here about missing teeth – cam gear and guy! I suspect it was from my friends 428 CJ Mach I he sold with 13 or 15,000 miles on it to an idiot who said he blew the engine. My guess he took it for a spin and nailed it and the gear teeth ripped off and the engine went goofy and for $10 at the time could have fixed it. I loaded all the parts in my E250 and headed home. I have boxes with valves and springs, bolts, pistons & rods. I covered everything in oil and “reassembled” sort of using rags for main bearings – he threw away all the bearings. A few bolts to hold on the heads, oil pan, and intake and stuck it in the back of my garage where it has become surrounded with junk. My freaking garage is so full of “stuff” I don’t have room to get out the engine and lay out the pieces to photo right now. The date code is “9H7” - makes sense for an early 70 car my friend owned. So that is the engine story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Are the block and transmission stamped with at least a partial VIN? Assuming the car still exists the current owner should be willing to pay a premium to get his original engine and trans back.
Huskinhano likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM

FE Forum or the CJ Forum might be a place to check for the buyer your looking for ? Brian

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:51 PM

You should post the vin number that is stamped on block. Value is really wide range. Engine will have to be rebuilt so my guess is 2-3k but to the right person, might be worth more.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

He says he has a buyer.
Yeah, couple of thousand or so probably.
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:18 AM

I think more than a couple. Standard block and crank? I’d say 3-4K for all of it. Block and heads are where most of the money is.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 AM

I’m thinking you should list it on eBay. You’ll likely get it’s real value for it minus the fees. If you have all the pieces it’s a real valuable piece. Original pieces to complete the engine will drive the price up imo. Brackets, carb, exhaust, distributor, pulleys and such are expensive. Nice original shakers are going for 2k or more. My guess is you have 6-12k depending on the smalls you may or may not have and provided the engine castings are good. I’d even consider having it checked for cracks and provide documentation to interested buyers. I know of one recent sale of a newly rebuilt/not fired CJ that sold for 12k on day 1 with no smalls, oil pan to intake.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Original car VIN

If this engine came from the car I think it did - that beauty went to the junk yard back in the 70's unfortunately.
I have the exhaust manifolds and distributor, aluminum valve covers, bulge bell housing, flywheel - everything but the carb.
And the RUG-AZ trans in perfect condition with shifter mounting plate.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 PM

I paid $1800 for a bare CJ block threee years ago. First: identify what you have...exactly. IF it is true CJ at least 5K because you have date matching everything.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page