Mustang Frame Repair (Please help!) - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mustang Frame Repair (Please help!)

Today, my Dad took my car to get tuned and aligned. It nows purs like a kitten he told me. Unfortunately, when it got aligned it set the whole car into wack. The shop says that the frame is broken in the front. It drove fine before so I am really sad. Does anyone know a frame repair shop in the San Fernando Valley? I know no shops in Santa Clarita do frame repair. I really want to get my car back on the road near the end of school.

The more you work on something, the more familiar you become with it.

1970 Ford Mustang Grande 302 V8

"Lil' Red"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM

Was your dad shown where the "frame" is broken? The term "broken" is pretty open ended. It could be as simple as cracked weld, or as severe as a critical bracket or mount torn loose from the front end. Without knowing the extent of the damage, it's tough to make a recommendation. I'm from your area and know several shops that might help, or at least steer you in the right direction.
Huntingky likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 PM
Dimples

Garage
Hate to hear that, but listen to rhutt. “Broken frame” isn’t a very technical prognosis. Could mean many things. I would want to hear from the alignment shop a more specific definition, as well as them showing what they mean. A second opinion is always good too.

In the mean time, you could go crawl around it and see if you can see anything weird.

The anvil of reality.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 PM

I am betting one of the Shock towers is cracked. We need pics t9 be sure. There are lots of Mustang shops in your area that can easily fix the problem.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGrande302 View Post
The shop says that the frame is broken in the front.

A shop that would talk about a Mustang's frame obviously knows nothing about a Mustang. I wouldn't take my Mustang anywhere near that shop.
Huntingky, Caper50 and BlakeTX like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:27 PM

So, I'm assuming your dad is the one who drove the car back from the shop, told you the engine was running nicely, but it didn't drive well because of the issue with the "broken frame"?
If the issue is "in the front", first thing I'd check would be the strut brackets. My guess is, during the alignment, one of them may have come loose from the frame rail.
There are a number of things it might be, but if it was in for an alignment, the majority of other alignment and steering related brackets are bolted on. The strut brackets are welded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StrutBrackets.jpg (311.7 KB, 26 views)
Mustmatt likes this.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:24 PM

I took the time to view the photos you uploaded when you established a garage here on VMF. The drivers side front end was crumpled pretty good! Was the "broken" frame associated with the collision that caused this external damage? If so, you are definitely going to need a good frame shop to measure the structure to ensure it is straight before addressing any of the body work.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 PM

From the pictures, it's very likely that something important might be bent or broken in the front. Check the driver side first. https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/g...ehicle_id=9886

Mustmatt likes this.

Last edited by cougar70; 05-24-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 AM

Why speculate what it might be? Call the shop and ask them where the crack is or better yet, take the car back amd have them show you where the crack is. After all.......they found it.
Mustmatt likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:27 AM

Yeah, it could be anything. If you're not able to get more help from the shop and figure out where the crack is, then post a video on Youtube for us of the inner and outter frame area, strut brackets, shock towers all the way back to the firewall. I bet it's somewhere on the LEFT side where the impact was. Probably not a huge deal.

It's a good learning situation, if anything. Don't get too down on your luck.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
If it "drove fine before" and now it doesn't, what did the shop screw up?

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGrande302 View Post
The shop says that the frame is broken in the front.
A shop that would talk about a Mustang's frame obviously knows nothing about a Mustang. I wouldn't take my Mustang anywhere near that shop.
True. Mustangs are unibody. Strictly speaking, they don't have a frame. They are 'dumbing down' their description because they think you are uninformed, or stupid. They are either condescending, or worse.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Time to get to know your car. Get your phone or camera out and take some pics under the hood. Take a pic that shows the gap between the drivers fender and door. Remove the front drivers side wheel and snap a couple pics of the fender apron and shock tower. Make sure there is some lighting so the pics will have clarity. Under the hood get pics of the shock tower and frame rail. Upload your pics here.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 AM

My advice is to call your (or your dad's) insurance agent. They tend to know all the body shops in the area and can tell you who the good shops are from any number of angles e.g. price, workmanship, timely return of the car. THey deal with them on a regular basis.

Also, its not exactly easy to find a shop that can do a Mustang alignment correctly. Since tires have changed dramatically in 50 years, you do not want to use the factory alignment specs from Ford. Folks can point you to modern alignment specs...

If you want to take some photos of the frame we may be able to help with repair thoughts. By the way, have you ever poured water into the cowl openings at the bottom of the front window. Be interesting to know if water shows up in the carpet or comes out only behind the front wheels. It would tell us a little about the state of the car...

Good luck...
Huskinhano and 2nd 66 like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So sorry if I haven't responded! I haven't been able to get online for some time! My dad had to get a taxi back to the house and go back to work after he got it aligned and tuned earlier that day. When he came home, he told me he was unable to drive the car home and we need to call a tow truck to get it from the shop. He also told me that the front right part of the frame is cracked. When it was aligned, I think something started to lean up against the cracked frame. When they took it to drive, the wheels did funky things and they stopped after driving it 10 ft. I don't have any pictures and am unable to get under the car for a picture myself. I will get some pictures later today and post them.

The more you work on something, the more familiar you become with it.

1970 Ford Mustang Grande 302 V8

"Lil' Red"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page