Any battery manufactures still making forms with side feet / hold downs? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjz30075 View Post
I just bought an Interstate 24F two months ago, with the feet, from NTB. There were
5 other 24Fs there without the feet, so they're disappearing fast.
What/Who is NTB?

As for the Exide posts. I have used their find a retailer page and it is seriously lacking. The vendors that they say carry their batteries are either severely limited or no longer exist/carry the batteries.

Just a side note: when putting in 1965 Ford Mustang into Exide's battery finder it recommended a 26F not the 24F that I see many here recommending/using.

What is the main difference other than size? Looks like from Exide the CCA maxes out around mid-500's for the 26F. Is it just a smaller slightly weaker battery and many decide to 'upgrade' to 24F instead?

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red
289ci V8, 4-speed Toploader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:46 PM

Google would have told you NTB stands for National Tire & Battery -- Dean

'66 Sprint 200 deluxe interior hardtop ( not a coupe ), owned since '84 as first car
'66 factory GT A code 4 speed ( now T5 ) fastback
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint200 View Post
Google would have told you NTB stands for National Tire & Battery -- Dean
Thanks I was hoping not to get called out on that

Looks like NTB is not in the Florida region

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
When I look up locations here in Miami, it gives me locations of Tire Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tire_and_Battery

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
When I look up locations here in Miami, it gives me locations of Tire Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tire_and_Battery
I noticed the same thing. When I called a few of the Tire Kingdom's around me they told me their 24F's were flat (aka missing the hold downs) on the sides.

I already have the 67 hold down kit. So if I can't find a battery to fit the old style hold down, I'll go back to using this.

Is there any truth to getting a lower CCA battery like the previous post had mentioned? Here in Florida, I think I'd rather go with a sealed battery (aka maintenance free). The two that I mentioned originally are the Exide Classic 585 CCA 24F and the Interstate MT 24F with 600 CCA.

I'll give this hunt probably till the end of the week and then pull the trigger on something.

Is there a way to test a battery on the shelf for being 'good' or 'old'

EDIT: Seems like this old post came up while I was digging: https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...oup-24f-2.html

Within that post above there is a link to Pep Boys: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/166261/00048

When clicking on the Pep Boys link it actually still works. Does anyone know if the statement is still true that the Bosch are Exide's with a different label?

Here is the direct link to what I found on Pep Boys when putting in 1965 Mustang V8 through their 'compatibility checker': https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-premiu...MUSTANG/V8-289

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red

Last edited by ricer333; 05-28-2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Adding some new findings from an older post
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Most batteries have a date code stamped into the case so you can check to see how "fresh" they are.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quick Update - More details to follow

Before the long update, can anyone offer anything negative/positive against the ACDelco 24FA battery? Seems like it may have what I am looking for: side hold down lug rails & a smooth top to use the Autolite battery covers. I haven't seen it in person... yet... but the sales person said the top is a bit more 'rounded' then the other batteries. Not sure if that will be a problem for the covers.

Please post back with any comments/suggestions around the above ^^^ because I will be going down later this afternoon to look at it in person.

Thank you! Now on to the good stuff

My Findings / Update -

Exide is no longer making the battery form factors that several VMF members recommended.
This information comes straight from the source. The 24F with side rails is just not desirable as it once was. Apparently this form factor goes to power a lot of gasoline golf carts and it was decided that the side hold down rails would be done away with.

So what Exide models did have the side hold down lugs? I found that the Exide 24FS and 24FX were what consistently came up. There is a caveat around the 24FX, however. The 'Master Number' (etched on the back side / opposite side of the front label) must be 24F800MOW. This number signifies a 800CCA with the MOW being the model of the case. That case model, I was told, had the side hold down lug rails (aka "feet"). Apparently there may be some of these batteries in the Dallas, TX area but beware, they are probably 8-12 months old.

As for the 24FS, this was the battery that had the NASCAR sponsorship all over it. I found one locally but it had a Manufacture date of 3/18 and a ship date of 1/19. When we tested it (thank goodness I did before handing over my credit card) the battery tested bad. Now, I could have probably bought it, opened up the tubes, topped to 1/16" over the metal plates with distilled water, charged and everything would have been alright, but why risk all that to end up in the same predicament if the battery truly was bad. Besides, it appeared to have been serviced at least once before, the left cap was discolored.

All of Exide's new lines start with a 'S' that stands for Sprinter. None of these 24F batteries have side lug hold down rails. Also, the official retailers for Exide are as follows (again straight from the source): Home Depot, Auto Plus, Parts Authority, STS/Mavis Tires and Atwoods

So you can check those retailers above for the older FX and FS batteries but beware the manufacture date and make sure to test the battery before going to much further.

Lastly, the Bosch batteries that Pep Boys sells, that some claimed to be Exide batteries but just relabeled. Well, they too have gone to a new form factor. Even though the website shows the old picture with the side rails (the Bosch battery part number is 24F700B) the new form factor goes to a sealed top (aka maintenance free) with the side rails removed (aka smooth sides).

So it does seem that this form factor is quickly going the way of the DoDo. Please chime in with any of your thoughts.

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Here's my thought:

65-66 BATTERY TRAY KIT WITH TOP HOLDDOWN CLAMP AND HOLDDOWN BOLTS

For <$25 the point becomes moot. Obviously works fine for the 67+ guys so...

1965 Mustang
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Here's my thought:

65-66 BATTERY TRAY KIT WITH TOP HOLDDOWN CLAMP AND HOLDDOWN BOLTS

For <$25 the point becomes moot. Obviously works fine for the 67+ guys so...
Thanks. Just FYI, I actually have the battery hold down. I just wanted to go back to a 65 style setup (if possible). Any thoughts on the ACDelco 24FA battery?

I just decided to post my findings here in hopes that it helps someone else in the future. This subject seems to be littered with a lot of 'older' information. I just wanted to add my experiences to it.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:53 PM

Thanks ricer and I agree. An earlier poster used the term unicorn in the fruitless search for the footed battery. So until someone reproduces a footed battery that fits the 65 tray the modified 67 is the only practical route left. Brian

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conway View Post
Thanks ricer and I agree. An earlier poster used the term unicorn in the fruitless search for the footed battery. So until someone reproduces a footed battery that fits the 65 tray the modified 67 is the only practical route left. Brian
Actually, this is the battery that I picked up today. I can confirm that it has the side hold down lug rails (aka feet) as shown in the picture.

I do not know how it fits the battery toppers yet but I will be ordering one in (or if a VMF user has one laying around, I'm all ears).

Here's the link to ACDelco's Battery Catalog: ACDelco Catalogs

Simply type in 24FA to the part number search text field to see what I am referring to.

It cost me just under $100. It's an 18 month warrenty. 600 CCA. It is maintenance free, not sure if that is pro or con yet.

What I do know is, it sure beats the reproduction Autolite at nearly $400 I'm not going to win (or even try) for any Concourse trophy's but do like to try and keep it original as much as possible.

Last edited by ricer333; 05-30-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:03 AM

Ricer333, where did you purchase your AC battery ? My battery died in my '66 hardtop last summer & have been sharing the battery from my '66 fastback. Thanks, Dean

'66 Sprint 200 deluxe interior hardtop ( not a coupe ), owned since '84 as first car
'66 factory GT A code 4 speed ( now T5 ) fastback
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:55 PM

Hello -- I recently purchased an AC Delco 24FA battery that has the plastic cleats on either side for battery hold down. Menards carries these. Since it took some time for me to locate the right battery, I also bought a Battery Tender Jr which I hope will help the battery last.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...8999327082.htm

Hope this helps!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint200 View Post
Ricer333, where did you purchase your AC battery ? My battery died in my '66 hardtop last summer & have been sharing the battery from my '66 fastback. Thanks, Dean
This is a link to ACDelco's Locate a Retailer page: https://www.acdelco.com/service-parts-locator.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang3201 View Post
Hello -- I recently purchased an AC Delco 24FA battery that has the plastic cleats on either side for battery hold down. Menards carries these. Since it took some time for me to locate the right battery, I also bought a Battery Tender Jr which I hope will help the battery last.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...8999327082.htm

Hope this helps!
I too just invested in the Battery Tender Plus. I like the idea of it monitoring the battery and then maintaining it. I figured $40 is worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1965 Fastback Mustang
Rangoon Red
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"ACDelco 24FA battery? "

AC-DELCO Batteries are garbage....

Had three within the last couple years.....Neither went 2.5 years....total garbage.

Stupidly bought a third (because of a sale)...and installed it was dead on arrival from the get-go...got no refund either!

Total junk. All were 24F size too..

Look elsewhere...Have found best batteries made are Interstate.....Will easily last 6-7 years without replacement. Exides are good too, will usually go 5-6 years..

Optimum Dry cells are good too...will last about 6 years..

Those are my "Real-Life" findings!.... No BS!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page