MMI vs SoT front coilover - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellis View Post
Not meant as an insult, just a funny picture...
I'm still getting killed by a late 90's Towncar "good driver" at autocross by 2+ seconds . The car following Tom appears to be fueled by rice which is often worse. We either make $250K a year or do it for fun!
2nd 66 likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how about this one

Pic taken at WGI during opening weekend, technically paced at 55 mph however we hit north of 100 on a couple section of track. It depends on the group you go with and the pace driver

Brad
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!

One of those turbo Focus. He was pretty fast. I don’t know if he was stock but he was a PIA. We weren’t allowed to pass. On longer runs he would hold back then do a high speed charge, again not allowed and as I’d come up on a RH turn, he’d be on my RH side as though he was going to pass me on the right. We’d be doing around 80 mph
2nd 66 likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
I think the coilover mounted to the LCA is a superior setup. It puts the instant center at a lower angle. It is similar to some modern suspensions.
How does where a shock mounts effect instant center?
From talking to both Mike and Shaun, I believe the geometry of both setups is very similar.
I suspect the results might be similar too.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
Quote:
I think the coilover mounted to the LCA is a superior setup. It puts the instant center at a lower angle. It is similar to some modern suspensions.
From talking to both Mike and Shaun, I believe the geometry of both setups is very similar.
From what I recall, the mounting spot for the shocks on the MMI setup was so someone could go with their coil over set up without requiring a change to the lower control arm.

I’ll be going with MMI within the next year for my car due to this reason, as well as other reasons.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1rebel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
From what I recall, the mounting spot for the shocks on the MMI setup was so someone could go with their coil over set up without requiring a change to the lower control arm.

I’ll be going with MMI within the next year for my car due to this reason, as well as other reasons.
What other reasons are you referring to?

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 PM

Cant speak for MMI, but the SOT front suspension completely transformed my car. One of the best mods Ive done.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
It doesn't, except for strut suspensions. It does affect the Motion Ratio, or how much the spring/shock travels compared the the actual wheel travel.
green1965 likes this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:35 AM

While I haven't worked out the math myself, Mike claims a motion ratio of 1.7 which is similar to Shaun's I believe. The lower shock mounting point on the MMI is sort of under the ball joint if you look closely.
Mike touts the superior JRi shock. I am not sure it is superior to Shauns Bilstein. At the end of the day, it's all about valving.
Comparing Mikes Mod 1 to Shaun's (having never driven neither - I have Global West) I think they are similar.
MMI- Mike is a world class driver and you get that experience. He's also not afraid to think out of the box.
SoT - better value and great support customer service.
If I were comparing the MMI Mod 1 to SOT to purchase, I would likely buy the SOT due to price.
If I had unlimited money and fab skills, I would buy the MMI Mod 2 setup.
2nd 66 likes this.

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:

It least it wasn't a Ford Transit van........

2nd 66 and Nailbender like this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Supporting Member

We have plenty of VMF members with Shaun’s coilover setup but I don’t know of any with Mike’s. It’s hard to get a good feel for the differences between the two when there is no one (at least no one chiming in) that has experience with both setups

Work in progress
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 AM

There is a long time member here with a red mustang that has the MMI front suspension.
Heís also a MCA judge I believe?

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
There is a long time member here with a red mustang that has the MMI front suspension.
He’s also a MCA judge I believe?
Do you know who? I’d be interested to hear from this member if still active on this site

Work in progress
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:30 AM

I think Trkpny2 is the member with the MMI front suspension.

1969 coupe
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:21 PM

BTW Chuck (Trkpny2) in an old post claims 6 - 8 seconds gain at Sears Point with the MMI suspension compared to what he had before. I don't know what his previous setup was however. Maybe it was worn out bone stock stuff....

1969 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page