MMI vs SoT front coilover - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

MMI vs SoT front coilover

Hey everyone,

I think I have my front coilover decision narrowed down to two options, but there are some fundamental differences and I am hoping for some useful thoughts from the community. I think I have narrowed it down to Mike Maier Inc and Street or Track systems. Obviously, the MMI system is a little more expensive (about $500 once you add the front sway bar to SoT) - but I am curious about thoughts on some of the other fundamental differences.

Both systems include upper and lower arms, coilovers with quality shocks, new strut rods, etc. Some of the primary differences I have noticed are:

- MMI upper control arms are offset, SoT are symmetrical
- MMI coilover lower mount is on the upper arm, SoT is on the lower arm.
- MMI uses JRI shocks, SoT uses Bilstein (I am sure both are great)

Can anyone provide some thoughts on the reason and impact of these differences?

Almost forgot some info I know will be asked: The car is a 66 coupe with a well built 302, possible 347 in the future. I don't intend to track the car, it is primarily an aggressive driver with occasional autoX a possibility. Wheels are currently 17, considering 18 once I flare the fenders and need wider tires.

Look fowrard to your comments (most of them)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM

I'm a bit biased as I have the SoT setup on the front of my car. Both Mike and Shaun are awesome to deal with. Shaun for me has been a wealth of knowledge, responds quickly and helpfully to all of my little and sometimes ridiculous questions. Truly a standup human bean.

The coilover mount on the lower arm allows for more travel and a longer shock assembly which can help. There is a lot of theory and discussion as to why that I don't have in front of me.

JRI and Bilstein are both a quality shock. I've also always been more of a bilstein fan, from the days of me having classic BMWs. I like the valving thats in mine as a street car. Its stiff but not obnoxious or rough. The car is well planted.

I'm not 100% sure on the reasoning for the offset upper arms. I know SoT's comes with the template and instructions for the Arning drop. I haven't looked THAT closely at the MMI setup.

Both good choices.

My only regret? That I didn't get SoT's 3 link rear at the same time. haha
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellis View Post
Hey everyone,

I think I have my front coilover decision narrowed down to two options, but there are some fundamental differences and I am hoping for some useful thoughts from the community. I think I have narrowed it down to Mike Maier Inc and Street or Track systems. Obviously, the MMI system is a little more expensive (about $500 once you add the front sway bar to SoT) - but I am curious about thoughts on some of the other fundamental differences.

Both systems include upper and lower arms, coilovers with quality shocks, new strut rods, etc. Some of the primary differences I have noticed are:

- MMI upper control arms are offset, SoT are symmetrical
- MMI coilover lower mount is on the upper arm, SoT is on the lower arm.
- MMI uses JRI shocks, SoT uses Bilstein (I am sure both are great)

Can anyone provide some thoughts on the reason and impact of these differences?

Almost forgot some info I know will be asked: The car is a 66 coupe with a well built 302, possible 347 in the future. I don't intend to track the car, it is primarily an aggressive driver with occasional autoX a possibility. Wheels are currently 17, considering 18 once I flare the fenders and need wider tires.

Look fowrard to your comments (most of them)...
Thank you for giving us a look!

Just for clarification, our upper arms ARE offset. The frame's are symmetrical but when we put them together the front bearing is farther out than the rear inducing approximately 3 degrees of positive caster just in the arm.

Looks like we need to raise our pricing as I see almost a $700 difference in the non-adjustable shock setup.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Grabber70Mach and Grimbrand like this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:16 PM

Im also biased since I have SoT. Honestly both guys make cream of the crop parts. As Shaun said his arms are offset via the adjustable rod ends. This is exactly why I bought SoT. I was originally looking at GW parts. At the time GW did not have their +3 arms on the market. When I saw SoT press release on their soon to be released upper control arms and seeing them in person at Carlisle I knew they were the parts for me. A big advantage of the SoT upper arms if they ever need to be rebuilt, they can with readily available off the shelf parts.

Even with my mediocre driving skills I can easily outdrive my tires grip. No matter whos suspension you go with the limiting factors are going to be your driving skills, your tires and how well you set your suspension up.
2nd 66 and Rowdy like this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 PM

Another vote for Shaun!

I installed a lot of his stuff on my '69 Cougar recently.
Huskinhano and Shaun like this.

1969 Cougar convertible restomod
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM

I think the coilover mounted to the LCA is a superior setup. It puts the instant center at a lower angle. It is similar to some modern suspensions.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Thank you for giving us a look!

Just for clarification, our upper arms ARE offset. The frame's are symmetrical but when we put them together the front bearing is farther out than the rear inducing approximately 3 degrees of positive caster just in the arm.

Looks like we need to raise our pricing as I see almost a $700 difference in the non-adjustable shock setup.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Shaun - Thanks for the clarification! I will call you with additional questions.

Also, Don't raise your prices, I am afraid I might get banned from the forum...

Ian
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 PM

Shameless self promoting photo

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member

Anyone know why the MMI lower coilover mount is on the upper arm? Has anyone ever heard Mike’s reasoning on this?

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
A big advantage of the SoT upper arms if they ever need to be rebuilt, they can with readily available off the shelf parts
Can you explain a little more on this statement

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Can you explain a little more on this statement
The ball joints are screw in Moog pieces (or you could opt for his primo ones) and the spherical joints are also off the shelf parts. Making them easily rebuildable.
Huskinhano and Grabber70Mach like this.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder17 View Post
Anyone know why the MMI lower coilover mount is on the upper arm? Has anyone ever heard Mike’s reasoning on this?
I haven’t heard anything on why he mounted the coilover to the upper arm, but I do know that the mounting point is moved closer to the ball joint to improve motion ratio. Not sure if the motion ratio is equivalent to that of a LCA mount.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Shameless self promoting photo

What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quicksilver66 likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianellis View Post
What is that on the track behind you?! Looks like a mid-sized sedan with a couple on their way to the grocery store!
OUCH!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
OUCH!

Not meant as an insult, just a funny picture...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page