How can I attach remote GT mirror? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

How can I attach remote GT mirror?

Hi Friends

I am attempting to mount a remote GT mirror in my fastback. The mirror is mounted to the car body and I see the half dollar size hole where the toggle and wires will pass thru the door skin. But my standard door panels have no cut out or indication where to mount.

Can anyone provide any tips ? I;m guessing just, make a cardboard template transfer hole to back of press board panel and use chrome plate to mark drill holes on the back side.

then the agony on how to figure the three cable moment. Hope I still have that diagram somewhere............

66 Fastback

289 Auto C4 "C" code with added 4 bbl

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:42 AM

When I ordered my replacement mirror, it came with instructions that listed mounting dimensions on the door, and on the inner door panel. They might be available online.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Here's a copy of the mirror placement instruction sheet from Ford. When I bought my new SD Repro GT Mirror it came with a similar paper template. I'll have to look to see if I still have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror-Placement.JPG (91.6 KB, 8 views)

69 Cutlass Convertible

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Once you locate it on the door, and before you drill, make sure your vent window will still swing open and clear it.

pollock

Go Mean Green!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock View Post
Once you locate it on the door, and before you drill, make sure your vent window will still swing open and clear it.
thanks All ready done and fine!

66 Fastback

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
Here's a copy of the mirror placement instruction sheet from Ford. When I bought my new SD Repro GT Mirror it came with a similar paper template. I'll have to look to see if I still have it.
Thanks Garth

I see that a 1 and 3/8 inch hole is not dimensioned from edges of each of the panels edges . I should just make a template on the metal door and transfer to the back of the panel. That would be my estimated area for drilling a tiny hole.

66 Fastback

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Garage
My reproduction door panels had a round hole scored for knockout on the back side and you would just make an X incision then trim around the vinyl leaving a little at the edges for the remote

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
•Original Styled Steel Wheels
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console
...son's first car

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 AM

Anyone have pictures of this mod?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Attached are several pictures of copies of my original Ford Instruction Sheets to which I added dimensions a couple years ago in answering a similar question.

As far as pictures, there should be a lot "out there" as this was a very common Accessory item in 1965 and 1966, as well as the Driver's side Remote Mirror being part of the "Visibility Group" Factory Option in 1966.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5ZZ-17696-A07 08 - WITH DIMENSIONS - NOTE.jpg (393.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg C5ZZ-17696-A07 08 - WITH DIMENSIONS.jpg (117.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg C5ZZ-17696-A07 09 - Copy.jpg (128.7 KB, 6 views)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
It should look like this when you are done...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965-1966 Remote Mirror inside mounting.jpg (303.4 KB, 2 views)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Curious, what is a remote "GT Mirror"?

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196667Bob View Post
Attached are several pictures of copies of my original Ford Instruction Sheets to which I added dimensions a couple years ago in answering a similar question.

As far as pictures, there should be a lot "out there" as this was a very common Accessory item in 1965 and 1966, as well as the Driver's side Remote Mirror being part of the "Visibility Group" Factory Option in 1966.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thank you Bob

your drawings help a great deal. I did make a template , transfer it and cut a hole using a hole saw bit. Did all that before I saw your drawings DOH! Then noting that its just not a small toggle that will poke thru the door panel its a approx 1" hole to make room for the barrel....... I thought the chrome cover was a just a cover plate when I looked closer and found otherwise.

Your dims show that there is a forward lean to the screw holes I have not yet cut.

But my next question would anyone know what end is up? I note the cable design is a three cable system. One of the cable posts welds on one of the plates long ends....the other two cables weld into the opposite long end.

Does the single cable mount sky upwards? I have removed and reattached the cables log ago. The colors are lost on the cables. So no matter how I move this toggle in some direction... the reaction is illogical.

66 Fastback

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
It should look like this when you are done...

Hey Tony!

thanks for the photo. !

But my next question would anyone know what end is up? I note the cable design is a three cable system. One of the cable posts welds on one of the plates long ends....the other two cables weld into the opposite long end.

66 Fastback

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malstrom View Post
Thank you Bob

your drawings help a great deal. I did make a template , transfer it and cut a hole using a hole saw bit. Did all that before I saw your drawings DOH! Then noting that its just not a small toggle that will poke thru the door panel its a approx 1" hole to make room for the barrel....... I thought the chrome cover was a just a cover plate when I looked closer and found otherwise.

Your dims show that there is a forward lean to the screw holes I have not yet cut.

Does the single cable mount sky upwards? I have removed and reattached the cables log ago. The colors are lost on the cables. So no matter how I move this toggle in some direction... the reaction is illogical.
SDee if the attached might help.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5ZZ-17696-A0001.jpg (344.3 KB, 4 views)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196667Bob View Post
SDee if the attached might help.

Bob
Thanks again Bob .. It just says attach with control assembly "top"? so Funny so un specific. I will just try single cable on top and guess it ~

Thx!

66 Fastback

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page