Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'66 Coupe Shell - Value?

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Steven Ramage 
#1 · (Edited)
Ran across a bare bones shell locally from someone that lost interest in a project. It needs EVERYTHING, but the metal looks solid. Doors and front fenders included. What would something like this be worth?

Looks like he has the rest of the metal pieces (trunk lid, fenders, doors), the glass, and front suspension parts. Also the original inline 6.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It would be worth a lot of time, money, headache, misery, and joy if you ever got to complete it.
It would be one hell of a lot of work.
Might be better to team it up with a rust bucket with decent drive train to make a 2 for 1.
My buddy just bought this car in Texas and it runs and drives for $4500. It has a rowdy small block, roll cage, autometer guages etc.

I can’t imagine that shell bring worth more than $1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
It would be worth a lot of time, money, headache, misery, and joy if you ever got to complete it.
It would be one hell of a lot of work.
Might be better to team it up with a rust bucket with decent drive train to make a 2 for 1.
My buddy just bought this car in Texas and it runs and drives for $4500. It has a rowdy small block, roll cage, autometer guages etc.

I can’t imagine that shell bring worth more than $1500

Wow! Been looking and can't get close to that. Let me know if you see another!

#7 ·
5 cents a pound.

Any good parts not shown: Value of the parts.

Rest of car: Run Forest Run.

I did sell some coupe bodies, looking "equipped" as what is in that picture (cannot tell about rust or bondo).

These were rust free, dent free, shells from the Dallas Area. 3 or so went to people who had a restored car, and wrecked it so bad they needed a unibody, and the others went up to the Buffalo New York area to fix total rust buckets. I sold them for about $300 each. This was all gravy as the parts that came with the cars were worth more than what I paid for the car, and getting rid of the unibody just kept my yard clear of a mosquito trap.

#8 ·
In that state usually $300-$500. However remember that most mustangs are going to need all those missing sheet metal parts replaced anyway along with the quarters and floor and and and. So basically they already got rid of the garbage and got you where you need to be to start building the car.
It's like buying a house to remodel that someone else has already done the demo..

Drivetrain is cheap just get a donor Explorer and there is your engine, trans and rear end all in one package. I do see bodies like that from time to time in the $400 range and if I had room I would pick them up because to me it's where I will end up after I toss most of the bad parts.

#9 ·
A lot of it depends on location. If it's a solid start, and has a good title, it's probably worth about a grand here. Titles are a real issue here, as it's almost impossible (and prohibitively expensive) to deal with a lost title. I love the idea of throwing it together from cheap parts and a donor car and driving the crap out of it. Given a little luck, great timing, and a good network of gearheads, this could be a cheap beater project.

#10 ·
Very true. Here in TX it's pretty easy to get a title. You can get a bonded title which the bond will usually be for a value well in excess of the cars value cause the state has a minimum value that's way too high. But once you have the bonded title in hand you are relatively Ok then after 3 years you will get a regular title. Just the fee of the bond and wait 3 years.

#20 ·
I bet if Steve talked to the guys neighbors they would be happy to take up a collection to get the car out of the guys driveway! He might get payed to take the car.

#23 ·
Circling back to this, I actually decided to pass on the vehicle. Seller originally was interested in a trade that would have me in the ballpark of what everyone considered as value, but then bought a new car and wanted $1000 cash. After a lot of conversations, it sounded like it may have needed quite a bit more repair than originally thought as well.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to pass on the contact info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.