Performer Manifolds - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Performer Manifolds

A local guy is selling an Edelbrock Manifold. From the pic it appears to be a older Performer 302.

What are the differences between a Performer 302, Performer 289, Performer RPM? The only obvious difference I see is the 302 has a water crossover at the back edge.

Iím looking for a good manifold to use on my 68 289. Iíd love a Cob4a manifold, but as they are too pricy Iím looking for a more reasonably priced alternative that still looks period correct. The engine is stock, except for 66 289 heads, 4100 carb and planned Tri y headers/ dual exhaust.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM

I bought a vintage Edelbrock F4b. Nice high rise Alloy manifold. Looks like the cobra without the extreme price tag. Looks period correct under an Autolite Carb.

Everybody has to start some place
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 PM

Performer = doorstop
Edelbrock's Performer RPM is really the base upgrade for a SBF.
Performance-wise there isn't much practical difference between the RPM and the old COBRA manifold.

F4B and COBRA manifolds (particularly the really old ones) generally need a plate to adapt a 4100 to the
carb-mounting pedestal to avoid vacuum leaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0925_.jpg (45.0 KB, 12 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 06-08-2019 at 06:37 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Flade, for the most part, all the base Performer manifolds are close, whether it's Performer 302, 289, or just Performer. The Performer RPM is a different beast, well suited to engines with a few mods like headers, better heads, and a cam. RPM Air Gap is even slightly more performance oriented, but can sometimes cause trouble in very cold environments due to its raised plenum and complete lack of exhaust heating.

Performer RPM and Air Gap are both considered some of the finest dual plane intakes available, comparable to the Weiand Stealth.

Original style Performer manifolds are an excellent choice for engines that keep under 5500. They are common as grains of sand on the beach, due to their low pricing and good performance. One of the first upgrades most guys seek when they want to get rid of their old 2-barrel carb and get a 4V - and for good reason.

The RPM and Air Gap version are good to about 6500, which is where roller hydraulic lifters sign off anyway. Beyond that, you're in the range of solid lifters and single-plane stuff, generally.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with GT289, because he's not wrong! The Air Gap and RPM are more expensive, but they're excellent - if you have the room under your hood and in your wallet. The Weiand Stealth is also fantastic.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Grimbrand; 06-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 PM

The Performer 302 is basically a Performer 289 with EGR.

I think it was Fairoaks whoís son works at a well know engine shop. He had posted dyno specs of a motor his son had worked on for a customer. IIRC it was a 331 built for a Sunbeam Tiger. Originally tested with a Performer RPM then with a Performer 289 for final tune as only the Performer 289 would fit under the stock hood. I honestly donít remember how much the motor made with the RPM but the Performer 289 did give up power but it still was respectable power. I think it gave up about 25 hp.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
The Performer 302 is basically a Performer 289 with EGR.

I think it was Fairoaks whoís son works at a well know engine shop. He had posted dyno specs of a motor his son had worked on for a customer. IIRC it was a 331 built for a Sunbeam Tiger. Originally tested with a Performer RPM then with a Performer 289 for final tune as only the Performer 289 would fit under the stock hood. I honestly donít remember how much the motor made with the RPM but the Performer 289 did give up power but it still was respectable power. I think it gave up about 25 hp.
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...m-air-gap.html I'm currently running the Performer 289 manifold on my 331 and have been doing some reading lately.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...m-air-gap.html I'm currently running the Performer 289 manifold on my 331 and have been doing some reading lately.
Thanks for posting that. While a 28 hp loss is not insignificant but that was on a built 347. On a mild 289 or 302 Iím sure itís safe to say itís going to be quite a bit less.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Thanks for posting that. While a 28 hp loss is not insignificant but that was on a built 347. On a mild 289 or 302 Iím sure itís safe to say itís going to be quite a bit less.

Indeed. The performer 289 does quite well on my 331. Being a very vocal "buy American" type of guy, the thing that I HATE about my Performer 289 manifold is the flat section cast into the number 5 runner to accommodate the Made in America label. It totally kills the vintage look. Removing the label only makes it worse.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 7.23.09 PM.png (238.9 KB, 12 views)
Huskinhano likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
Performer saves you 30+ pounds, thatís about all.

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 PM

A torquey motor like a 351W, that rarely revs above 5500 rpm, would probably do great with a performer intake.
If the valve train of a 289/302 can’t handle 6000 or greater rpm, then the performer rpm may not provide much benefit.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

Is $100 a decent price for this manifold?

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/pts/...883978302.html

It seems to be an older version of the Performer 302. The markings are in a different location and there is no made in America marking

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
Thanks guys,

Is $100 a decent price for this manifold?

https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/pts/...883978302.html

It seems to be an older version of the Performer 302. The markings are in a different location and there is no made in America marking
as long as it's clean and straight and your not expecting big numbers

Brad
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
as long as it's clean and straight and your not expecting big numbers
No just looking for a few more horses. The engine with its current 68 low compression heads is a dog. I am hoping some minor updates with 66 higher compression heads, headers, dual exhaust and better manifold will help.

Flade
66 200 coupe Blue

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:57 AM

$100 is a very typical price for an Edelbrock Performer manifold.

I'm very curious though: In 1968, I thought the only 302 put in Mustangs was the J-Code 4V? Those were NOT low compression. They were 10.0:1. Did this engine come out of something else? Is it already a 4V? I think you'd find that the Performer is not much of an upgrade from the stock cast iron 4V manifold, though of course it's much lighter. By itself, I would be surprised to see more than a 10 HP difference. If you're going from a 2V F-code 302 though, it'd be worth doing.

If you're really wanting to improve performance, you might want to consider putting some GT40P heads on, if you can find them cheap in good condition. In Explorers and Mountaineers, they were paired with a rather wimpy roller cam, and it's possible that even the stock spring rates might be fine for a mild flat-tappet performance cam. That would really wake up your car! Their only real drawback is the revised spark plug angle, which can interfere with some exhaust setups. If you have dished pistons, you would also want to check your compression ratio before deciding. Anything between 9 and 10:1 would be ideal, especially with flattops.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 AM

IF your looking for some bling, go for it, bead blast first, but if you are looking for performance, probably not a lot to be gained. You may notice a slight bump but within an hour you will quickly get used to it and no longer notice it. I would put the money in a cookie jar with another hundred dollar bill and hope they have babies so you can buy a matched set of intake, cam, heads and headers and exhaust designed for the type of driving you will do 90% of the time. Then you would be cooking with gas unless your short block is old. It will then stress the shortblock and quickly start smoking etc.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page