66 Door Weatherstrip - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

66 Door Weatherstrip

Are there any videos or photos of the '66 door weather strip? There is a YouTube video, but he doesn't show the front or rear being installed. I'm using Steele products and they came with the pins. The door is a repro, and it only has the pin hole at the rear of the door. Should I wait until I hang the door to install the weatherstrip, or do it now? Also, how far up does the front of the weatherstrip go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! After doing some more searching, I found two other photos. Steele should make a video (hint, hint).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguy59 View Post
Thanks! After doing some more searching, I found two other photos. Steele should make a video (hint, hint).
I'm hoping to replacing mine shortly too.. any info you could share here would help myself and many in the future..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I decided to put mine on before I mounted the doors just to make it easier. If your doors are on, it just means kneeling down to get the bottom in.

1 - Wipe down the weatherstrip where the adhesive goes with alcohol to remove any grease, wax, etc. that might affect the adhesive. Wipe off the door area too.

2 - Apply the adhesive to the weatherstrip first, to give it more time than the door to dry. Lay out the weatherstrip on a long table to make it easier to apply the adhesive.
3 - Apply the adhesive to the door. Don't get carried away and slop it all over, as it will show. I used a small acid brush with the bristles cut back to about 1/2" to apply the adhesive.
4 - Begin installing the weatherstrip at either the front or rear of the door. Once you get about 6 or 8 inches installed, put some tape over it to hold it in place. The front and rear have small plastic pins that fit into a hole in the door. Install it right after you get it started. My one repro door did not have the hole at the front of the door. Check this before you start if you have repro doors.

5 - Now go to the other end of the door and begin installing the weatherstrip there. Make sure all of the kinks and curves are out of the weatherstrip. What you are doing, is working your way to the middle so that you don't end up short at the end. I did it this way to make sure I didn't screw up.

6 - Put the plastic pin in the weatherstrip and use some tape to hold it in place.
7 - Now start pressing the weatherstrip into place doing a little at the back, and moving to do a little at the front, working towards the middle.
8 - When you get to the bottom of the door, you might have to use a small putty knife to make sure that the weatherstrip is seated square in the channel. it doesn't take much force to seat it.

Most of this you already know, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Use quality weatherstripping. I used Steele, and it is perfect. If you do a search, there are a few pictures of the front and rear portions of the '66 weatherstrip. If you can't find them, I'll scan the B&W photos and post them.
Don't let the number of steps scare you, it's a lot easier than it seems.

Last edited by Wiseguy59; 06-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:23 PM

good job, nice heads up
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Nice write up, cheers.
Pics of the front and rear sections might be good to keep as a record for the future in this thread.?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Door weather stripping is literally a joke... The easiest way to avoid headaches is just secure the weatherstrip (while it dries) with the 3m Blue Painter's Tape..and use a good amount of tape in small 3" strips...

Also when applying the adhesive.. rub the adhesive on with your index finger and let it get tacky for a minute...then apply it to the door. Don't just put the adhesive on the rubber and put it on the door... Lastly, Before you do anything...Make sure the surface is clean and wipe down with some 90% rubbing alcohol.. then you're good to apply the weather stripping with the adhesive..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page