Turn Signals Won't Cancel w/ New Steering Wheel - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By capemustang

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Turn Signals Won't Cancel w/ New Steering Wheel

I need a little help please with my turn signal cancellation issue. I recently installed a new steering wheel on my 1969. The new steering while is a Volante 9 bolt steering wheel (steering wheel and adaptor). After the installation, the turn signals would still cancel although not as good as before the new steering wheel. After two days, they will not cancel at all unless I manually cancel both turn signals (right and left). I have removed the new steering wheel to check the turn signal cancel cam. It is intact and appears to function. I think I have the steering lined up properly but the signal won't cancel. I am not sure what I else I need to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1969 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Who is the manufacturer of the steering wheel hub/installation kit you used?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Volante is the manufacturer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volanteadaptor.jpg (177.3 KB, 4 views)

1969 Mustang Convertible

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 PM

A little reading. https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...kes-again.html Different year but probably the same thing only different. All the hubs are the same China manufacture in different boxes best as I can tell.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I did a quick scan of the thread. Very informative. Do you know where you can purchase the cancelling clip that you mention in your 5/17/19 post? Thank you again for your help.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Cancelling clip would not work. Do a more thorough reading of the thread for the solution.

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 AM

What is the gap between the column and the wheel adapter like? As part of a whole change over where I had to replace my steering box (worn out) and wheel (cracked and mangled around the horn contacts) I had to deal with the column height and the gap between the column and wheel. Initially I shoved the column all the way down against the steering box. The old wheel was missing the finger that trips the canceling pawl. When that backordered part showed up and I installed it, the horn didn't work reliably and the turn signals didn't cancel in spite of the new wheel having the little finger. A bit of research and I found that the column doesn't necessarily go all the way down. There isn't quite enough travel in the underdash bracket to close the gap to factory (column overlaps a step in the wheel hub), getting it close got everything back to working correctly.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Cancelling clip would not work. Do a more thorough reading of the thread for the solution.
Thank you. I did not read the second page of the thread that you had sent. It appears that my roll pins are too short. I have a second set that i am going to install to see if that will work. Thank you very much for the information and help. I do appreciate it. I learned something new!
Nailbender likes this.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues66 View Post
What is the gap between the column and the wheel adapter like? As part of a whole change over where I had to replace my steering box (worn out) and wheel (cracked and mangled around the horn contacts) I had to deal with the column height and the gap between the column and wheel. Initially I shoved the column all the way down against the steering box. The old wheel was missing the finger that trips the canceling pawl. When that backordered part showed up and I installed it, the horn didn't work reliably and the turn signals didn't cancel in spite of the new wheel having the little finger. A bit of research and I found that the column doesn't necessarily go all the way down. There isn't quite enough travel in the underdash bracket to close the gap to factory (column overlaps a step in the wheel hub), getting it close got everything back to working correctly.
Thank you. I will take a look at the gap when I work on it tomorrow. I think it is the roll pins, but it could be the gap issue as well. I am missing a roll pin and the remaining one might be too short. I have a pair that i am going to try. Thank you for your help.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues66 View Post
Thank you for your question about the gap. Your question and Nailbender's suggestions and earlier thread helped so much. There is an approximate Ĺ inch gap with the new steering wheel vs a ⅛-ľ inch gap with the previous steering wheel. I believe this is the cause of the turn signals not canceling. I just installed two roll pins and it now works! Thank you for your help.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Thank you again for your help. Your earlier thread/posts were very helpful. The gap with the new steering wheel hub (approximately Ĺ inch vs. ⅛-ľ inch (older steering wheel) made it necessary to install the two roll pins. Now, the turn signals cancel quite well. I really appreciate your help.Thank you very much.

1969 Mustang Convertible
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM

No problem!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page