Re-issued VIN and its depreciation - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Re-issued VIN and its depreciation

If a car has a re-issued VIN, what is it's value depreciation?

I am not sure why the VIN was re-issued. The Pa. title states VIN re-issue and antique, but it doesn't state theft recovery or reconstruction.

I can see the original VIN too.

Has anyone bought a car with a re-issued vin?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Just some legal mumbo jumbo for a car that needed some hocus pocus to make legal. At least someone took the steps needed to make it legit. It could be as simple as it had a lien on it and no other paperwork. To me it would just boil down to having a non-standard tag on it somewhere which pales in comparison to all the other variables that goes into value.
I would call it value added compared to a no paperwork car.
66ryan likes this.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Garage
Sounds kind of like a salvage title issued by some states. Check that state's department of revenue website or call in to learn more. I don't think it adds or subtracts value as long as the VIN is intact and a prospective buyer doesn't hafta jump through flaming hoops to register it in their name in that state or any other.

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
•Original Styled Steel Wheels
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console
...son's first car

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Supporting Member

If it's not a rare high end car, k code, Shelby, gt etc. It should have little impact on the value.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:18 PM

I would think that if you have some documents or other proof that that the VINs stamped on the car are correct it shouldn't affect the value.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM

If there are two identical cars, one with perfectly clean documents and the other not perfect in any way, who would not choose the perfect one? If the imperfect one is cheaper, now that might be enough to make the switch
daves67ss and 4ocious like this.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWS View Post
Maybe a whole lot, maybe none at all. It depends on the car in question and it's desirability market-wise. On a decrepit hulk of no particular uniqueness it wouldn't matter at all, same for a highly modified custom so nice it wouldn't matter either. In between those extremes is where a re-issued VIN could be a valuation factor. For one thing some folk wouldn't even consider such a car for purchase just out of hand, thereby limiting the number of souls who'd be interested otherwise. A re-issued VIN could easily be used as a negotiating tactic for a lowered price as well. Again, it depends on the car in question.
daves67ss likes this.

I reconfigured a base '68 coupe a little bit...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:02 PM

This is an interesting question as it may affect my car. What bugs me the most is that the issue is a result of a cowl repair, nothing else. The car started life a a lower end 1970 Mach 1 that I am restomoding. The lower cowl was swiss cheese and needed to be replaced. I contacted the AZ MVD local enforcement officer to discuss the process in advance of removing the original cowl sheet metal. What I was told was that when the car is completed, I have to file paperwork to document the removal and reinstallation of the VIN tag. A AZ VIN tag will be created with the same VIN as original and attached to the car somewhere. I can only hope when I am done, the procedure has changed and the AZ VIN tag is deemed unnecessary. Given the crime of VIN tampering is a felony, I did not want to do anything that could be found to be VIN tampering. I am about 2 years away from finishing the car, when done I will share my final story.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Depends on the buyer. I would want a steep discount or reason to consider it, otherwise I doubt I would even look at it if I could find another just as good in the same price range. I would figure it was stolen or in an accident or flooded at some point. Don’t want to have issues selling it to someone who thinks similarly. I would try to reverse the process, tell them you were misinformed, the vin is not stamped on the cowl as the bozo you talked to thought, unless 69s are different than my 66. Maybe take it to a friendlier state.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 06-11-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
This is an interesting question as it may affect my car. What bugs me the most is that the issue is a result of a cowl repair, nothing else. The car started life a a lower end 1970 Mach 1 that I am restomoding. The lower cowl was swiss cheese and needed to be replaced. I contacted the AZ MVD local enforcement officer to discuss the process in advance of removing the original cowl sheet metal. What I was told was that when the car is completed, I have to file paperwork to document the removal and reinstallation of the VIN tag. A AZ VIN tag will be created with the same VIN as original and attached to the car somewhere. I can only hope when I am done, the procedure has changed and the AZ VIN tag is deemed unnecessary. Given the crime of VIN tampering is a felony, I did not want to do anything that could be found to be VIN tampering. I am about 2 years away from finishing the car, when done I will share my final story.
Screw that. Moving a tag to fix a rusty cowl isn’t VIN tampering. This is a classic case of ask forgiveness not permission. Nobody would ever know and you’re not pulling a fast one, so who cares?
rpm likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWS View Post

I am not sure why the VIN was re-issued. The Pa. title states VIN re-issue and antique, but it doesn't state theft recovery or reconstruction.

I can see the original VIN too.

Has anyone bought a car with a re-issued vin?
My wife's 65 Vert had a reissued VIN from Connecticut but when it was retitled in FL the DMV actually inspected the car and put the VIN that is on the apron under the hood on the FL Title. There is still a metal sticker cemented to the driver's door that with the Connecticut VIN on it.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:40 PM

^^^^ Thats an interesting point, is it a new version of the old VIN with an updated number of characters to fit into the computer system or a completely new set of numbers? Did the car in question even get a new tag or is it a simple notation on the title? Re-issued seems different from State issued. Even a salvage car can still carry the same # on the title, different from a re-constructed in TX.

For sure as a buyer try and use it as an advantage but to try and say that other one across the country for comparison? Frankly because of the desire and demand for a higher end car i think it would matter less as a % since there are only so many for sale anyway.

I think I'd just cover the new state tag with an oil change sticker on a Shelby

Verbose Vocabularian
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
^^^^ Thats an interesting point, is it a new version of the old VIN with an updated number of characters to fit into the computer system or a completely new set of numbers? Did the car in question even get a new tag or is it a simple notation on the title? Re-issued seems different from State issued. Even a salvage car can still carry the same # on the title, different from a re-constructed in TX.

For sure as a buyer try and use it as an advantage but to try and say that other one across the country for comparison? Frankly because of the desire and demand for a higher end car i think it would matter less as a % since there are only so many for sale anyway.

I think I'd just cover the new state tag with an oil change sticker on a Shelby
I'd have to look to seE if the sequence number is the same on my wife's Vert on the Connecticut VIN. In know the 5F08T wasn't included in the Conn reissued VIN, I'll see the car on Saturday and take a look.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
I'd have to look to seE if the sequence number is the same on my wife's Vert on the Connecticut VIN. In know the 5F08T wasn't included in the Conn reissued VIN, I'll see the car on Saturday and take a look.
I was slow and actually meant that for Boss5Oh but its about the same case.
Like did Vito Andolini becoming Vito Corleone because of a bureaucratic pencil pusher change who he really was?

Verbose Vocabularian
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 PM
rpm

Drill out the rivits, replace the cowl, install vin plate. I R&I'd mine when I had the body blasted. Non issue.
BlakeTX likes this.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page