I6 200ci to a V8 302ci in a 1966 mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
 24Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I6 200ci to a V8 302ci in a 1966 mustang

I’m still running the original engine from the factory in my mustang but since October when I got the car it kinda got boring. The car has a brand new C-4 transmission and I want to buy this crate engine with 245 HP/ 325 TQ. I’m only 18 and this is my first engine swap. My budget is around $3,000. Can someone give me some knowledge before I jump into it? Is this the engine I should go with? I was also looking at a 351 stroker. Here’s some photos of my car for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3847DA30-7019-470C-8D6D-9E33FAF3A66D_1560353908538.jpg (357.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg 886F2B78-F1D6-4A0F-A314-6486449153E5_1560353941806.jpeg (193.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Kidthekidd; 06-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Dimples

Garage
You need a bigger budget. Not only can a motor swap cost you in ways that are hard to account for in advance (like fluids, exhaust work, etc), but you haven't mentioned anything about the suspension, brake and rear end upgrades that MUST be a part of the swap.

You've got a nice looking car there, and I get wanting more power (I've literally been right where you are now, with a 6cyl coupe in high school, wishing for more power), but an upgrade to a V8 takes so much more than just adding two cylinders. It's so involved, it is a legit consideration to maybe sell your car and use your $3,000 budget to buy a V8 car. That, or save more money and prepare for a much more involved process.

The search feature is your friend here.

The anvil of reality.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Another option is to build up your 6 cylinder engine. There are many ways to do that and several members here have done it. coupster, datac and Varilux come to mind as being 6 cylinder gurus. To whet your appetite here is a thread by Varilux:

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...step-step.html
myfirstcar66 likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Another option is to build up your 6 cylinder engine. There are many ways to do that and several members here have done it. coupster, datac and Varilux come to mind as being 6 cylinder gurus. To whet your appetite here is a thread by Varilux:

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...step-step.html
While I am a fan of modded 6's just because they're unusual, that is an expensive endeavor and usually doesn't yield much performance increase. Couple that with the C4 in the Kidd's car... I just think you'd have to really be into the uniqueness of the setup and look, rather than performance to justify that kind of expense.

The anvil of reality.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Right now I’m running coil overs all the way around and dis breaks up front with drum brakes in the back. With 1968 master break cylinder and a brake booster. Since my budget is so small is there anything you recommend to get some more power out of her. I love the car to much to let it go. It was the first thing I saved up for and bought. I’ve already put to much time and money into her to let someone else drive her.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member

What brand suspension did you use? If you've already got custom suspension I'm assuming you didn't put the stock 4 lug rear axle back in and must have used late model front spindles?

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Dimples

Garage
What are the specs on your upgrades? Still have that 6cyl rear end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidthekidd View Post
I love the car to much to let it go. It was the first thing I saved up for and bought. I’ve already put to much time and money into her to let someone else drive her.
Totally get that. Hang onto it man.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I used SSBC front disk brake conversion kit, 8” rear coil over conversion kit, and global west coil over conversion kit for the front. All from Dallas Mustang and CJ ponyparts. I am running the original 6cyl rear end. I’m 18 and deliver pizzas to afford this habit so I can’t afford all the late module or new parts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM

Garage
Here is what you can do with a straight 6. This is a Buddies Falcon. Slightly modified 250 cid, very large turbo, aluminum head with fuel injection. At one point it was putting out 650 hp and ran a 10.4 in the 1/4. He has de-tuned it, kept burning the number 6 cylinder when he was running a carb. I wouldn't even want to guess what they have into the motor. But a lot more than 3K...

There is a large following for the ford straight 6's. If you want to modify that motor, there are options. If you want I can ask him what he recommends for your budget. He used to have some of the aluminum heads that can be wet up for what ever direction you want to go, but not sure if he has anymore for sale. The head seems to be the biggest limiting factor on those motors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03721.jpg (327.4 KB, 4 views)

Steve

Current Stable: 1966 A-code Fastback (302 Ford Crate motor, T-5)
2008 Shelby GT Convertible

Former Mustangs: 1967 A-Code Fastback (sold to buy the ‘66 Fastback 33 years ago)

‘66 A-Code Fastback (owned it from 1986 to 1999, sold it to a friend, who sold it to another fellow Mustanger. I just repurchase the car in Mar. 2019...)

‘95 GT Convertible

‘14 MCA Edition (Mustang Club of America) with Performance Pack
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidthekidd View Post
I used SSBC front disk brake conversion kit, 8” rear coil over conversion kit, and global west coil over conversion kit for the front. All from Dallas Mustang and CJ ponyparts. I am running the original 6cyl rear end. I’m 18 and deliver pizzas to afford this habit so I can’t afford all the late module or new parts.
Sounds like you’re most of the way there.

I wouldn’t consider the 6cyl rear dangerous, but it’s not going to last long behind a V8.

It just occurred to me that we haven’t done much to answer the original question.... get a used Explorer 5.0. Best bang for the buck ever. You can always throw a crate engine at it later if you want to.
2nd 66 and Grimbrand like this.

The anvil of reality.

Last edited by BlakeTX; 06-12-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Before you change the engine, you really need to upgrade the rear axle. If your tires hook, and you're running a v8, you will find out why only the 6 cyl engines got 7" rear axles. Better to plan things ahead, and do the axle first. An 8" would be fine even for a pretty hot V8, unless you try running slicks.

Additionally, the slightly increased weight (and far improved power output) of a V8 will overstress your small 6 cyl front wheel bearings if you drive in a spirited fashion. If you change the spindles to fix that problem, then you'll need to change the tie rods, drag link, idler and Pitman arms as well.

The standard radiator for an I6 is inadequate for even a mild V8. You will need a good 3 row brass, or 2 row aluminum radiator.

In the interest of safety and reliabilty, I would really recommend you address these issues before you put in a V8.

Personally, I have not experienced any joy with crate engines. All that I have seen from mass producers have serious problems, despite their typical "line bored" ".030 bore, honed with torque plates" '100k mile' warranties, etc. My last one had trouble right from the start, and was barely past 5k miles - but showing serious bearing trouble, scuffed piston skirts when I was forced to tear it down after an engine fire (that was my fault). I would trust a junkyard '97-01 Explorer/Mountaineer motor far more, especially after a quick inspection and cylinder hone (if it's even needed).

Edit: DOH! Sounds like you nailed most of the important things I mentioned! Well done, Kidd. Carry on, sir! I still think you'd be a lot happier with a $300 junkyard 5.0 of any kind, Weiand Stealth intake, Summit M-series 500 CFM carb (or 600, if you intend to push things past 300 honest horsepower), cam upgrade, and spend the extra money on heads.
2nd 66 and BlakeTX like this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Grimbrand; 06-12-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 PM

So, you have a $3k budget for a a V8 swap. Is it possible? Yes. Most definitely. But as some have already said, stay away from crate motors. Here is how I see it from where you are right now

8" rear end $400
JY V8 $400
used intake and carb $300
Rebuild kit for carb $50
Dizzzy $75
Coil, plugs, wires, etc. $150
mounts $100
exhaust $250
Radiator, fan etc $400

That's $2125 for all the big parts. There will be some wiring, fluids, and problems that will arise. However, this is very do-able from where you're at. If you have the time, you could do this for even cheaper. Buy a 98-01 Explorer with a bad transmission for $800. Part it out and recoup most of your money. Then watch the videos out there about shortening an 8.8" for your rear.

What you're talking about doing is your introduction into hot-rodding. You're also a broke 18yo. Get off the websites that want to sell you pretty, expensive things. Start learning how hot-rodding has been done for the last 70+ years. It's fun to buy pretty parts, but it's not necessary. When most of us got into this, the internet wasn't a thing. You at least have the luxury of finding info easily. However, it doesn't make it any less work. You can do this! You just need to change your thinking a little bit. Build it as good as you can with what you can afford now. Build it again when you have a better budget. Hot-rodding is about the experience, not the finished product.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 PM

On my 67 I swapped from 4 to 5 lug for less than $500, that included new drum brakes on all four corners. It takes time, alot of time to track down the parts, but enough guys are doing upgrades to their V8 cars that the necessary 5 lug parts show up fairly regularly.

There are many threads on 6 to 8 swaps detailing what you need. Just to bolt the tranny to the engine you will need a bell housing, block plate, torque converter and starter.

I recommend that you first swap to 5 lugs and V8 suspension and steering. While this is going on start shopping the net for all the swap parts you will need.

I found my bell, block plate and starter used for $150, engine mounts for $25. Im still looking for a torque converter.

When shopping used, its a long process, but it saves a bunch of money over buying new.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank y’all for the help. I’ll definitely start checking the junk/scrap yards around here (there must be some good stuff in DFW). I’ve never had anything more then 250 hp and I’m just trying to make something fast that scares me a little. For the radiator I was able to find an aluminum 3 row radiator from a 302ci a couple months back off Craigslist I got for $60. No leaks, it looks like it was barely used if not at all. Seems to be working great with the 200ci. Do y’all know any good second hand part website? I pretty much only use Craigslist, Dallas Mustang, and CJ ponyparts to find the parts for my car.
myfirstcar66 and Grimbrand like this.

Last edited by Kidthekidd; 06-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 PM

FB marketplace, swap meets, word of mouth.

Do you belong to a local Mustang club? When I was in my early 20s I hooked up with some guys in a car club, they were older and had shops, lifts, parts, knowledge and skills. I hated it when I moved away, those guys taught me a ton about cars and they were all willing to help out a kid.

Go to cruise-ins and talk to car owners, its amazing what people have tucked in their attics and basements.

I was at a show once and was admiring a 69 Dart GTS, told the owner I conned my dad into letting me buy one when I was 17. Dad thought I was getting a slant 6. The guy says to me yeah, every kid had one of these, I dont suppose you still have the 383 exhaust manifolds. Well, as a matter of fact, I did still have those manifolds, a 17 year old kid in the 70s had to have headers and a chrome air cleaner, so I swapped them out. They sat in my parents attic for over 20 years.
jgrote likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium

Last edited by bmcgc; 06-12-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page