Hood-Fender-Headlight Door alignment - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Hood-Fender-Headlight Door alignment

There have been a few posts on this forum regarding hood-fender-headlight door alignment. I have mentioned that it kills it for me when I see an otherwise nice car with poor alignment in this area. Some have tried to pass off poor alignment as "these cars were thrown together in a hurry" and panel alignment was of little concern to Ford.

This 1970 Boss 429 was used as an answer to a question in another thread regarding parking brake cables and I can't pass up "eye candy" such as a B1, B2, B9 or M1. The first thing that caught my eye was the poor hood-fender-headlight door alignment. Although the high bid on this auction was "only" $190K the car has apparently been listed for sale at $225K. I would think that somebody trying to sell a car for $225K would spend a little time and perhaps a few dollars to get these panels properly aligned. I seriously doubt the car looked like this when it left Ford and went to KK. I am confident that KK removed the hood to install the B9 engine and I doubt that they kicked it out the door looking like these photos. I assume the hood was removed in the 2012 restoration and little effort was made to align it properly.

Photo 1 is the "premier" photo in the ad. The right side hood-headlight door misalignment immediately got my attention. Photo 2 is another of the many photos in the ad. Come on guys, is it really difficult to do this correctly?
What do you guys think about this?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...tang-boss-429/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Boss 429 1.jpg (101.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1970 Boss 429 2.jpg (290.7 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM

Garage
For a driver (mine) I can overlook it because other issues have more priority. For $200K, there shouldn't be ANY issues. Seeing that misalignment makes me think the rebuilders had skill along my levels, not craftsmen. If they pay so little attention to obvious areas, it would cause me concern in the not-so-obvious areas.

Whew, good thing I don't have a spare quarter mil sitting around!

Sorta puts another slant on "bring a trailer". I always thought it meant "it ran when I parked it." Looks like it means "trailer queen" in this example. What a shame.

Bill

6F07C
Color: Y
Trim: 22
Axle: 6
Trans: 6
Build Date: July 18, 1966

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:00 PM

That got put together in a hurry.....

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Garage
Maybe they were going for as Ford installed them originally.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM

I think it depends on the approach when restoring the car. Make the gaps perfect, or leave it as ford delivered it? I have a neighbor who has a Grabber Orange '70 Boss 302 he bought brand new, it has original paint and has never been apart or even had the paint touched up and I can attest that his panel fit is worse than this car.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Sad!
Make it a bash BAT cars thread! (jealousy for me) But WTF. Wash the danged blue stuff off the tires, and for that matter BFGs on a Shelby! Dollars and cents instead of dollars and sense.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 AM

My '70 fb had pretty bad hood to headlight fitment. Similar to what you see on the Boss 429 car above. The only way I could get the '70 hood to match the curvature of the headlight once the hood was aligned with the fender was to take a die grinder with a cut off blade and make a cut thru the underside of the hood support framework right where the hood needed to make a sharper curvature to match that of the headlight. After making the cut I was able to push it down and tac weld it to verify its fitment. Once I got the correct shape I welded the cut closed. The total weld length was only about 2 1/2" on each side. I know this was pretty dramatic but I could not figure out any other method to get all three in alignment. It appeared to me that the curvature of the hood or the curvature of the headlight was off from the factory. I tended to think it was the 70's headlight that was off because I looked at a lot of 69's and it didn't appear that that year of car had as big of a mismatch problem as the 70's did and the hood is the same for the 69 and 70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page