Help please. I have a 1965 Mustang with a 4-speed - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Help please. I have a 1965 Mustang with a 4-speed

manual transmission. The previous owner installed a hurst shifter and apparently did a crappy job. The top bolt wasnít long enough and came loose. Also, it gets stuck and I canít get it to shift in to gear if I previously put on the emergency brake. So...I disconnected the linkage, and dropped the unit down so I could get a longer bolt in the top through the plate. I didnít take a picture and now it is frozen and wonít move at all. I have searched but canít find a video or instructions on the install or linkage anywhere. I would appreciate any videos or links to instructions. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 PM

Get the shifter mounted and don't install the linkage onto the transmission yet. Get the linkage adjustment tool, or just about any 1/4" rod and put it through the holes on the shift levers at the bottom of the shifter while it's in the neutral position. Then attach the linkage onto the transmission, adjusting as necessary. Do make sure the transmission is in neutral also. Lots of "how to" online on adjusting a Hurst shifter. As for the trouble while the parking brake is engaged, make sure the cable, lever, spring are not up against the bottom of the shifter. This happened to me.
Huskinhano likes this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Get the shifter mounted and don't install the linkage onto the transmission yet. Get the linkage adjustment tool, or just about any 1/4" rod and put it through the holes on the shift levers at the bottom of the shifter while it's in the neutral position. Then attach the linkage onto the transmission, adjusting as necessary. Do make sure the transmission is in neutral also. Lots of "how to" online on adjusting a Hurst shifter. As for the trouble while the parking brake is engaged, make sure the cable, lever, spring are not up against the bottom of the shifter. This happened to me.
It was already installed. When I took the linkage off it was in first gear on jack stands. Maybe I put in the wrong words but I cannot find anything on line. Any links, pictures, or pics with instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Tackelbarry; 06-16-2019 at 09:14 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackelbarry View Post
Maybe I put in the wrong words but I cannot find anything on line. Any links, pictures, or pics with instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Here you go...

https://www.shifterdoc.com/3737637_Install.PDF
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Just for clarification, both of the bolts that attach the shifter go in to the plate only and not in to the side of the transmission. The plate is attached to the transmission by the three shorter bolts?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Just for clarification, both of the bolts that attach the shifter go in to the plate only and not in to the side of the transmission. The plate is attached to the transmission by the three shorter bolts?
Correct. And apply blue or red loctite to those two bolts holding the shifter because they can back out at the most inopportune time....

I attached two photos of my Hurst linkage. Unfortunately, I couldn't find better photos of the entire linkage but these photos coupled with the diagram posted above should get you there.

In these photos you can see where I ended up having to grind off the ends of the threaded rods to prevent them from hitting each other and binding. You may not have to do this, but if you do only do it after everything is adjusted properly. Also, those aggravating spring clips may pop off when you're least expecting it, rendering your car stuck in gear; after I took these photos, I had these spring clips pop off twice and finally replaced them all with cotter pins and washers (to take up the slack). No issues since!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen 2019-06-16 at 10.51.13 PM.png (315.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-11-23 12.34.50.jpg (232.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-11-23 12.34.59.jpg (407.8 KB, 4 views)

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!

Last edited by Brent; 06-17-2019 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Add photos
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Correct. And apply blue or red loctite to those two bolts holding the shifter because they can back out at the most inopportune time....

I attached two photos of my Hurst linkage. Unfortunately, I couldn't find better photos of the entire linkage but these photos coupled with the diagram posted above should get you there.

In these photos you can see where I ended up having to grind off the ends of the threaded rods to prevent them from hitting each other and binding. You may not have to do this, but if you do only do it after everything is adjusted properly. Also, those aggravating spring clips may pop off when you're least expecting it, rendering your car stuck in gear; after I took these photos, I had these spring clips pop off twice and finally replaced them all with cotter pins and washers (to take up the slack). No issues since!
My unit has been screwed up by the previous owner. Where can I buy a complete unit? A link would be great. I just talked to Summit and the only Hurst shifter they had, had the reverse up to the left top. Thank you for your help.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I just talked to Summit and the only Hurst shifter they had, had the reverse up to the left top.
Do you want the Ford shift pattern for reverse, which I believe is left bottom? I believe if you go with Ford linkage and shifter, then reverse will be left bottom. Hurst is left top. It's due to the shifter and linkage and not the transmission.
patrickstapler likes this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
My unit has been screwed up by the previous owner. Where can I buy a complete unit? A link would be great. I just talked to Summit and the only Hurst shifter they had, had the reverse up to the left top. Thank you for your help.
Are you talking the complete shifter assembly? If so, I have one that's about 10 years old and I rebuilt it myself, even though you're not supposed to disassemble it, as every service part is sold at Browse by Category - Shifter Doc.

I have a 10-year-old Hurst Comp/Plus shifter with PN 391-0014 stamped in it, which I believe is for 1965-73 Ford Mustang. However, I believe this PN has changed to 391-3180, as it's all I can find now.

My shifter has reverse also in the top left; I haven't seen a Hurst Comp/Plus with a different reverse location.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3913180
https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/3913180

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
This is the correct pattern for a Hurst shifter.

Regards,
Patrick
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
This is the correct pattern for a Hurst shifter.
That shows how screwed up my set up is. It has a hurst shifter and reverse is down to the left. Maybe, somehow he adapted the hurst shifter to the Ford pattern? So far, I cannot find an original Ford 4-speed shifter set up. I am fine with the reverse up to the left as long as the shifter is plug and play with no changes to the transmission. Can anyone give me a part number or link for a complete Ford or Hurst 4-speed set up?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Take the shifter and rods etc out and lay everything all out. Take stock of what you have and what you need. 99% of the kit would be near impossible to screw up. Summit has a nice big image of all the parts laid out. AFAIK every single part of that install kit is available separately.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...7637/overview/

You can usually change the direction of reverse engagement by rotating the reverse arm on the trans 180*. If Hurst shows it up, turning it to point down will reverse the action at the shifter. You may need to modify the arm or shift rod to accomplish this. You will also need to move the reverse light switch bracket to the front of the shifter.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)

Last edited by Hemikiller; 06-18-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
That shows how screwed up my set up is. It has a hurst shifter and reverse is down to the left. Maybe, somehow he adapted the hurst shifter to the Ford pattern? So far, I cannot find an original Ford 4-speed shifter set up. I am fine with the reverse up to the left as long as the shifter is plug and play with no changes to the transmission. Can anyone give me a part number or link for a complete Ford or Hurst 4-speed set up?
I'm not sure where you'll find an original Ford shifter or if they are reproduced but I shared the link for a new Hurst shifter in my post #9. Hurst shifters do not come with the installation linkage as the linkage and mounting plate changes depending on the specific trans, tail housing, vehicle it's used on.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Take the shifter and rods etc out and lay everything all out. Take stock of what you have and what you need. 99% of the kit would be near impossible to screw up. Summit has a nice big image of all the parts laid out. AFAIK every single part of that install kit is available separately.

You can usually change the direction of reverse engagement by rotating the reverse arm on the trans 180*. If Hurst shows it up, turning it to point down will reverse the action at the shifter. You may need to modify the arm or shift rod to accomplish this.
After looking at the schematics provided in a previous post, I am missing the 3rd gear adjustment screw as well as the 4th gear adjustment screw. I really don’t know what else is missing or is screwed up by the previous owner. I really want to start with a complete and new unit so I know what I have. Links to complete unit? Thanks again.

Last edited by Tackelbarry; 06-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Okay, but it's about $650...

These are for the 432 Toploader, with the rearward mounting points - verify your tailhousing before ordering.

https://www.shifterdoc.com/4_Speed_T...n_ID_Chart.PDF

Shifter
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h.../model/mustang

Installation kit

or here...

https://www.shifterdoc.com/productca...pe-432-8p7.htm

You could also send the shifter to the company above and have them go through it for $165

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)

Last edited by Hemikiller; 06-18-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in