'66 289 oil priming for long sitting engine - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By awhtx
  • 1 Post By BW66
  • 2 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

'66 289 oil priming for long sitting engine

I have a 66 with a 289. It's been sitting for over 15 years. After changing the oil, filling the oil filter,

can I remove the distributor (which the oil pump shaft generally comes out with it, and get another oil pump shaft from the local auto parts store, connect it to a drill and spin up the oil pump?

Or it seems that I need to get a longer oil pump shaft to do that?

I'll have the valve covers off to see if the oil flows, then I've read that I need to rotate the crank to make sure I get oil in the other areas.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 PM

The oil pump drive shaft will not come out with the distributor if the retaining lock is installed on it properly.

Get a 1/4" six point deep socket, either 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive, your choice but 1/4" works better. Chuck a 6" long extension into your drill, put the socket on and flip the switch to R. Put the socket on the pump drive and go at it. You will know when you are pumping oil because the pump will pull down the drill noticeably.
kenash likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
The oil pump drive shaft will not come out with the distributor if the retaining lock is installed on it properly.

Get a 1/4" six point deep socket, either 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive, your choice but 1/4" works better. Chuck a 6" long extension into your drill, put the socket on and flip the switch to R. Put the socket on the pump drive and go at it. You will know when you are pumping oil because the pump will pull down the drill noticeably.
Unless it had a HV oil pump and the shaft wedged it's self into the oil pump socket making removing the distributor a PITA because you have to break the retainer while using the distributor as a slide hammer. But yeah you'll want to prime that engine before you fire it, good luck

Brad

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post

... or broken, or the shaft is stuck into the bottom of the dizzy by sludge. We've all seen the posts of "what was that noise?" of someone having the pump shaft drop into the pan.

IMO - disconnect the coil, turn the motor over with the starter in five second bursts until you see oil coming out of the rockers, then button it up and reconnect the coil.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Garage
You can buy a tool to prime the oil pump make sure you run the drill in Reverse. If you go with the 6 point socket trick make sure you tape the socket on good so it don't come off.
Yes take the valve covers off so you can see the oil at all the rockers and it also can't hurt to turn the motor over by hand while you are prime the motor.
bbmach likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Go to Home Depot and for $10 you can buy a 12" long bit holder (Milwaukee brand). Chuck it up and run the drill in reverse. No taped-on sockets plus you can use it later with screwdriver bits!

2nd 66 and Flatheadpopup like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page