engine removal - what bolts & chain? Intake Mounted lift point? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By 2nd 66
  • 5 Post By 65RedStang

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

engine removal - what bolts & chain? Intake Mounted lift point?

when removing a 289, what type of bolts are required to go into the right front head driver side and into the rear of the passenger head?

What about the chain the hoist will grab onto? how is that chain chosen?

I've seen a plate bolted to the top of the intake as well. What type bolts are used for that - or is there a kit to purchase? I'm always amazed that the weight of the engine and trans can be supported by the threads of the 4 bolts to the top of the intake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:03 PM

Garage
I do it like this

kenash, Caper50 and 66ryan like this.

Brad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaytona1 View Post
when removing a 289, what type of bolts are required to go into the right front head driver side and into the rear of the passenger head?

What about the chain the hoist will grab onto? how is that chain chosen?

I've seen a plate bolted to the top of the intake as well. What type bolts are used for that - or is there a kit to purchase? I'm always amazed that the weight of the engine and trans can be supported by the threads of the 4 bolts to the top of the intake!

I agree with you. I have a couple brackets we made up in the 80's and attach them to those nice threaded holes you see in the front/rear of the cylinder heads or somewhere on the block.

A friend convinced me to try the plate once. Later found a nice crack in that rather expensive 3x2 manifold. It was able to be fixed but that wasn't cheap either.

I do admit I have rather bad luck. If the odds are 1% for a bad outcome. I'll hit that 1% at least 50% of the time.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:13 AM

I've used regular chain from the hardware store with links that are large enough for the bolts to go through with washers. But I prefer to get an engine leveler. It allows you to adjust the angle of the engine and has 4 contact points instead of two. I know the temptation of the intake plate mount to lift an engine but I don't trust those carb mount bolts. They are inline with the pulling vs mounted to the head at 90 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51pX-xbwtoL._SL1024_.jpg (57.3 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65RedStang View Post
I've used regular chain from the hardware store with links that are large enough for the bolts to go through with washers. But I prefer to get an engine leveler. It allows you to adjust the angle of the engine and has 4 contact points instead of two. I know the temptation of the intake plate mount to lift an engine but I don't trust those carb mount bolts. They are inline with the pulling vs mounted to the head at 90 degrees.
Agree with this. I just pulled out my 289 and toploader as a unit last weekend with the leveler and it was very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page