68' Engine Dress-Up - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

68' Engine Dress-Up

Hello all,
I am new to VMF. I apologize if this is a topic that has already been addressed (Iím sure it has). I am currently rebuilding a 68 Mustang coupe with a 289 in it. Iím looking for your opinions on the best way to dress up the engine. Currently I have pulled the engine from the car and I am repainting the block back to the original blue color. Specifically talking about valve covers, air cleaners etc. what looks the best in your opinion? I like both the chrome and the wrinkle black styles. Also please leave any additional tips to make the engine bay look its very best. I appreciate any feedback or photos from you guys. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
All depends on what look you want to emulate... vintage/classic, retromod, "racing", etc., to your individual taste. There are so many choices and so many opinions out there.

For me, I like the "vintage" look with the Cobra finned aluminum valve covers in "bare" aluminum (you can paint in "natural aluminum" to protect the bare metal), blue base/chrome top "HiPo" open element air cleaner, and that's about it. Other folks like the OE HiPo valve covers (chrome) and still others like the newer welded aluminum covers. Whatever trips your trigger....

I like the look of Tom's (Huskinhano) GT-40P....

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 AM

I like vintage as well, but have always been partial to the black crinkle. Just enough chrome to hi-light but not overly bling.

Here is a shot with the original Air cleaner

Here is after I switched to the Cobra aircleaner. It really makes the engine compartment stand out. Hard to see in the pic, but in person it looked great.

Good clean wiring and hoses make a big difference as does cleaning and painting the engine bay in semigloss black. It hides imperfections and makes the engine stand out.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I really like the finned aluminum.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
I like vintage as well, but have always been partial to the black crinkle. Just enough chrome to hi-light but not overly bling.

Here is a shot with the original Air cleaner

Here is after I switched to the Cobra aircleaner. It really makes the engine compartment stand out. Hard to see in the pic, but in person it looked great.

Good clean wiring and hoses make a big difference as does cleaning and painting the engine bay in semigloss black. It hides imperfections and makes the engine stand out.
I really like this set up as well. The photos are really helping. Thanks for the reply!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Its a running joke over at the SAAC forum but: leave those "caution fan" stickers off the 65-70 cars.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page