Shelby Drop Mistake - Vintage Mustang Forums
 36Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Shelby Drop Mistake

So I decided to try the Shelby drop using a template I bought from daze cars. Once I got all the suspension removed and installed the template, I started with a*17/32-inch bit and drilled the initial hole (but thinking back on it now I guess my mistake was removing removing the template which I did thinking in I would have the same size template holes for the other side.) After drilling the 1/2" holes, i found out that they are not aligned correctly. They are just a tiny bit too apart from each other. I'm just curious what I can do to correct this without making a bigger mess? Should I drill one of the holes out to be 9/16"? Or should I just go with control arms like Specialty Products Company Adjustable Control Arms which give the Shelby drop from the factory holes?*

https://www.cjponyparts.com/specialt...-1973/p/UCA61/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
You mentioned 2 things.: Not aligned correctly and also they are a bit too apart.

How much is a bit? 1/16", 1/8", 1/4"?

If they are only a bit too far apart (1/16") but aligned correctly, you could ream out the insides (using the original template to ensure accuracy and you do not take too much off)
zray, Huntingky, gt350sr and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:29 PM

You start with an 1/8” bit, then 1/4”, 3/8”, 17/32”.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM

When I did mine, I had one hole off by about 1/16”.
This was when I was stepping up as mentioned above, so I was not at final size.

One of the smaller steps, I went in with a little carbide bit and opened up only one side of one hole.

Then when I stepped up to the next bit, it recentered and worked perfectly.
Getting that pilot hole spot on is CRUCIAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DonP likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
You start with an 1/8” bit, then 1/4”, 3/8”, 17/32”.

I had to do more steps than this, but my drill bits may have been dull.
It wasn’t easy drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 PM

Just use a rat tail file to elongate the hole in the direction it needs to go which is towards the other hole. You'll be OK.
Asm109, DonP, 2nd 66 and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 PM

I just did my holes though the car isn't back on the ground yet. I used the the template from Day as well as the DIY roller perch kit. I started with an 1/8" pilot, removed the template then stepped it up to just below 1/2" where I finished off with the 17/32".

This thread can serve as a reminder that it's best to step up (by either multiple drills or step bit) to just under the finished size then finish it with the desired size. Guys that aren't used to drilling metal with larger holes may not know the ins and outs of getting the hole to the right size.

Huskinhano, Nailbender and 68Ghost like this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
I just did my holes though the car isn't back on the ground yet. I used the the template from Day as well as the DIY roller perch kit. I started with an 1/8" pilot, removed the template then stepped it up to just below 1/2" where I finished off with the 17/32".

This thread can serve as a reminder that it's best to step up (by either multiple drills or step bit) to just under the finished size then finish it with the desired size. Guys that aren't used to drilling metal with larger holes may not know the ins and outs of getting the hole to the right size.

Sliced bread takes a back seat to a quality step drill bit! A quality step bit is not cheap!. An electrical supply house is the place to buy.
Tallguy and vegasloki like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:52 PM

Yep, some good guidance here, go slow! Nice job Vegas, I’m jealous of that clean shock tower!

vegasloki likes this.

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:17 AM

Thanks guys. The wells and underside were mostly covered in old oil, grease and kack. I'm pleased with original condition. I only wanted to clean that much because I want to drive it. A good soak with purple Zep degreaser, some Simple Green, elbow grease, the Krug Thug, Scotch Brite and it came out well. I finished that well with Krylon 1613 until I tackle refinishing the entire front under hood.

The stepper bit was surprisingly Harbor Freight. I've had it a while and this was the last two holes it did. Not bad. I'm looking at Amazon right now for the Greenlee set and yikes it's about $100 for the three piece. Quality costs.

If anything our posts can help convince/guide someone through doing the drop. It's nearly free and I'd say easily the most cost effective mod for the front end even if you don't change anything else.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 AM

I usually use a good sharp 1/8" bit to start a hole as easier to get the centers right, but then the step bit does the rest of the work. As others have mentioned, step bits are one of those tools that once you use it, you wonder where it has been all your life. Especially effective on thinner sheet metal where regular bits make a twisted mess on larger holes.
stephen_wilson and dobrostang like this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 AM
Supporting Member

I took a 3/16" thick steel plate and drilled 2 1/2" holes and 2 17/32" in it holes on the drill press. I bolted the plate to the factory holes with the 1/2" plate holes and drilled new 17/32" holes in the shock towers using the bottom holes in the plate. Checked them with short digital calipers. Elperfecto !
dennis111 likes this.

supershifter2™ < !
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:04 AM

WHen I did mine, I dropped them straight down on my 66. I couldn't get any caster for years until I figured out my mistake. The next time I had my motor out I rat-tail filed the holes to the correct location then welded the other side, ground the welds flat and used the rat-tail to complete the holes. While I was at it, I welded up the old holes. Soooo, I pity the guy that gets my car in the estate sale, cause he is gonna think the Shelby drop was never done adn create a monster of a mess...
Russstang, 2nd 66 and 665spd like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 AM

My homemade solution, shamelessly copied from an online template...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0390.jpg (456.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0391.jpg (421.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0392.jpg (272.9 KB, 17 views)

1967 289 Coupe - AOD, Edelbrock heads, Victor Jr, EZ-Efi, roller front suspension, S197 front brakes, 3.55 gears
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishman View Post
My homemade solution, shamelessly copied from an online template...
1/8" holes are the right answer!
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page