66 6 cylinder fuel pump - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

66 6 cylinder fuel pump

anyone in here with 6 cylinder ? i am having trouble fitting the 6 cylinder fuel pump 66 . it is time ti change with new one had the same pump since 66. the curve of the brand new pump does not fit the block and crank ? anyone had the same problem.besides i wanted to buy the replacement diaphragm fro my original fuel pump but could not find it. they were available couple years ago from NPD or mustangs unlimited looks like sold out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Are you sure you have the correct pump for the 6 cyl? When I had my '65 2+2 with the 200 cid six, I would very often be given 8 cyl parts at the parts store as the guy at the counter had no idea there was a 6 cyl Mustang and just gave me V8 stuff thinking he was doing me a favor.

Harry Z
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
I replaced my fuel pump on the 6 cylinder a couple years ago and didn't have any problem getting it in.

It can be tight though depending on how the arm is sitting and where you are on the crankshaft lobe. You may have to try to push the arm up or the body down hard to get it to move so it can slide in. The new pump will be a lot harder to move the arm than the old one. Or try turning the engine over a little to see if you can get to a flatter part of the crankshaft.

And of course compare it to the old one and make sure you're putting it in right side up, and with the arm on top of, or below the crank where ever it's supposed to be and not the other way around. I think it sits over the crank, but check the wear pattern on your old one to make sure.

Pics of the old pump next to the new one will help people to make sure you got the right one too. If the arm is significantly different than the old one you may have gotten a V8 pump.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Garage
It goes up, with fuel line fittings on top. Unlike the V8 which goes down with fittings on bottom. Make sure to locate the arm correctly. I believe it goes “under” the cam... not 100% on that. I have had to remove a new cam from a motor that the PO had put the arm on top of cam lobe. The lobe had two nice gutter lines cut into cam lobe from the bottom side of the pump arm. Double check what you have.

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
68 Coupe 302/C4 Black interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 390/C6 Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
We can certainly help you. Post some pics of your old Original Pump... and some pics of the pump that you just bought.

We can definitely help you out with your problem.

It's very simple to tell apart a 6cyl pump and a V8 Pump. The 6cyl pump has a much shorter arm. The V8 Pump has a much longer arm.

The "majority" of 6 cyl. Fuel pumps ('65-'66) were made by AC-Delco and had the "Diaphragm" Type - The '65's also had an external "Screw-On" Fuel filter. The '66's had the Fuel Filter deleted, but still had the same Diaphragm housing.

By '67, Ford had realized that the Diaphragm type Fuel Pumps were leading to trouble in that they were leaking in people's garages (Not to mention the strong Fuel Smells) and leading to engine and garage fires...though not rampant, It was still a major problem, so they decided to the go with the Carter company as their primary Fuel Pump supplier who was already a backup fuel pump supplier anyway. The Carter Fuel Pumps did away with the leaky Diaphragm by using a "Sealed" unit...thus solving the problems.

My advice to anyone still using an original '65-'66 Original AC-Delco Type Fuel Pump unit is Don't use it. It will only leak down the line at some point, and the replacement Diaphragms are not (no longer) available anyway, but there is a Custom company on ebay that can supply them for around $150 plus shipping if you are really gung-ho on rebuilding one.

My advice is to order the "copy" of the '67 and later Carter "sealed" type Fuel Pump from www.rockauto.com . NOS Carter examples of the '67 and later fuel pumps can still be found on ebay..

Here is the weblink to it below....

Even though there is a newer "Carter" offering here below, The "AIRTEX" one looks closest to the Original '67 and later 6 cyl. Carter Fuel Pump with the correct arm. It's $24 bucks...no bank breaker...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+pump,6256

See here:

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Here is type correct ('67 and Later Sealed Type) fuel pump installed that you should have (for safety reasons)...and non-leakage of course..

See Pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave's restored EngineBeforeResto.jpg (147.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's restored 200enginecloseup.jpg (488.0 KB, 4 views)

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 PM

Here is a correct '66 only six cylinder fuel pump for your reference. I found it NOS probably 20 some years ago & installed it on my Sprint 200 -- Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66fuelpump 002_1560899154743.jpg (457.0 KB, 7 views)

'66 Sprint 200 deluxe interior hardtop ( not a coupe ), owned since '84 as first car
'66 factory GT A code 4 speed ( now T5 ) fastback
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 PM

Yes, Dean's pic is the Original AC Diaphragm Fuel Pump that was supplied with the car when new.... It's the Original Pump from the Factory. Sooner or later...They leak though ...but they work great until then.. That's why the '67 and later sealed one is better....not concours of course, just better and safer...
Thanks for posting the pic Dean. I keep my Original in a Carter box on my shelf...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 PM

I had a fairly new, sealed-type, FP on my Sprint which crapped out half way to a car show many years ago. A three hour drive took about twelve hours ! I did purchase a new sealed-type to get me to the show & now have it in the trunk as a spare for the diaphragm-style. So, IMO, both are failure prone -- Dean

'66 Sprint 200 deluxe interior hardtop ( not a coupe ), owned since '84 as first car
'66 factory GT A code 4 speed ( now T5 ) fastback
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM

On Ebay, Sometimes the old 1980's to 1990's NOS Sealed Carter Fuel PUMPS pop-up... They are good to pick up... That's what I did... I have Originals as well...even NOS '65-'66 Originals NOS in the box.. Those pop up on ebay as well believe it or not...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 PM

I just changed mine a few weeks and I trouble too and it was due to most of the reasons others have said. I took for granted the the guy at auto parts store gave the right part and didn’t check before leaving and of course didn’t
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info .finally managed to install new one. i posting pictures of my old fuel pump also. since i am the second owner since 1992 old owner must have installed this one. i do remember changing the diagram of the old one once years ago. anyway i have the new one installed.
like many other owners i have stalling problem when it is hot i will open another topic about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump new.jpg (74.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg engine bay2.jpg (104.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg engine bay 1.jpg (93.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump old2.jpg (79.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump old.jpg (98.9 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page