• 3 Post By dennis111
  • 2 Post By Huntingky
  • 3 Post By Huskinhano
  • 2 Post By Sparky66
  • 1 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By 2nd 66

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Roll bar installation

Iam ready to install my roll bar not sure if I should mount the main tubes on the carpet or under. Suggestion's and pictures would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Garage
I don't think the carpet will add much support for mounting a roll bar ,, Seriously though are you planing on just bolting it in or welding
Huntingky likes this.

Brad
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:02 AM

Definitely don't bolt through the carpet if its more than just for looks . . . .

Here is my detailed installation of welding a full roll bar in my 65':

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/dra...e-legally.html
Huskinhano, kenash and 2nd 66 like this.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip:

Dart 434W NA, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear, 93 octane pump gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Even a bolt in should be bolted directly to metal. Mine has welded in bolt in points with the option to weld. I have it bolted in but will weld in before I finish, not only for safety but for body stiffness.
2nd 66 and vegasloki like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 AM

Another Thing: The botton tubes better be welded to a 4" X 4" 1/4" flat plate. The NHRA is going to check the mounting. Also, do check with any sanctioning body for their specs unless this is just a "show bar".

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
Another Thing: The botton tubes better be welded to a 4" X 4" 1/4" flat plate. The NHRA is going to check the mounting. Also, do check with any sanctioning body for their specs unless this is just a "show bar".

Actually the NHRA rule for a roll bar requires a minimum 6" x 6" x 1/8" plate and the plates can be bent to form the shape of the existing mounting area.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip:

Dart 434W NA, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear, 93 octane pump gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM

A few years back I was giving thought to a 6 point cage. Partially for increased stiffness of the unibody and partially because I had thoughts of doing the standing mile with the ECTA. I doubt Iíll ever do the standing mile so that eliminates half of my needs.

A roll bar or roll cage IMO is part of a safety system. The other parts are helmet, belts and correct seating. Without those in use I viewed the cage as a liability. I would not want to hit any part padding or not with my body during a accident. So no cage or roll bar for me.
Huntingky, Sparky66 and vegasloki like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
A roll bar or roll cage IMO is part of a safety system. The other parts are helmet, belts and correct seating. Without those in use I viewed the cage as a liability. I would not want to hit any part padding or not with my body during a accident. So no cage or roll bar for me.

I tried to explain this little factoid to a friend of mine...that once you put in a roll bar/cage, you cannot safely drive it on the street without a helmet (he had stock seats & belts), and forget about ever having anyone in the back seat again - especially the grandkids without helmets. I also mentioned that LEOs and insurance companies might not take too kindly to having what they consider "racing equipment" installed in his car. He ignored my advice and put a 4 point in a daily driver.
Huskinhano and vegasloki like this.

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
I tried to explain this little factoid to a friend of mine...that once you put in a roll bar/cage, you cannot safely drive it on the street without a helmet (he had stock seats & belts), and forget about ever having anyone in the back seat again - especially the grandkids without helmets. I also mentioned that LEOs and insurance companies might not take too kindly to having what they consider "racing equipment" installed in his car. He ignored my advice and put a 4 point in a daily driver.

Thereís a Maverick running around by me. DOT legal drag tires, gutted interior, 6 point cage, built 302. It looks like he street races. Did you notice I didnít mention race seat or even seat belts? None! A stock seat with no seat belts of any type.
Huntingky likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Thereís a Maverick running around by me. DOT legal drag tires, gutted interior, 6 point cage, built 302. It looks like he street races. Did you notice I didnít mention race seat or even seat belts? None! A stock seat with no seat belts of any type.

Huskinhano likes this.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page