to hood scoop or not to scoop......... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

to hood scoop or not to scoop.........

so I picked up a 69-70 factory scoop for cheap and i'm throwing around the idea of using it on my car. I kinda like the way it looks. what do you guys think?

Turnall likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM

Yes!
fordguy likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Dimples

Garage
If you like it, I like it. I personally prefer the look of a 65-66 Shelby scoop, even if it's just bolted/riveted on, but that's good too.

I'm really diggin' the harlequin look you have going on with all of those different colors. I'm not sure I could let myself paint that car all one color. Looks cool.

The anvil of reality.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
If you like it, I like it. I personally prefer the look of a 65-66 Shelby scoop, even if it's just bolted/riveted on, but that's good too.

I'm really diggin' the harlequin look you have going on with all of those different colors. I'm not sure I could let myself paint that car all one color. Looks cool.
thanks, it's funny, I get asked about when i'm going to paint it every time I have it out. when I first got it together I really wanted to paint it the factory antique bronze (I really like the color), but now the look of the car has grown on me and i'm not sure i'll ever paint it.
Huskinhano, Nailbender and BlakeTX like this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:55 PM

I think it's personal preference. If you like it, go for it. If I were to do it, I would make it functional.
fordguy, 2nd 66 and DrHawkeye like this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

California car born an I6, now with warmed up 289 w/T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel. Owned since 1983.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
As long as you understand that such low hood scoops have absolutely no functionality and are just for looks then it's just what suits you. You like it? Do it.
I came across one of those and tried it on for size on my '67. It looked OK but I have the deluxe hood and decided it looked too crowded. So I hung it on the wall and it stayed there for years until one day most of a '69 followed me home one day and it's now gathering dust on that instead. (Hood even already had the holes.) I'm glad I didn't drill holes in my 67's hood for it. I sure would have felt dumb later.
englishman likes this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
As long as you understand that such low hood scoops have absolutely no functionality and are just for looks then it's just what suits you.
Is that really true though? I would expect at the very least, a venting effect. Not a very efficient one, but still.

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Is that really true though? I would expect at the very least, a venting effect. Not a very efficient one, but still.

It won't have a ram-air effect, but if the air cleaner fits up into the hole, you'll have cooler air for the carb.

1969 Mach-1 Mustang
460 / C6 / 9"
Back in Dixie DSO 22 (Charlotte)
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Pretty much. Have you seen the ProStock racer hood scoops that are almost taller than the roof of the car? THOSE work. Anything shorter isn't really in the airstream and functions like a closed dimple in the hood. There's a bunch of wind tunnel type data out there somewhere. It might leak a little air from under the hood if pressures under there are pretty high on your car. Not enough to warrant chopping holes if you ask me. The main function of an open hood scoop is to let water, dirt, and crap, go down all over your engine. If sealed to the air filter you could make a case for the engine drawing in a cooler air charge than it would from underhood but the gains there aren't enough to interest me in hacking a hood either.

Can you open it up? Sure. As long as you don't go around bragging about how much HP you gained by doing so no one will mind.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
As long as you understand that such low hood scoops have absolutely no functionality and are just for looks then it's just what suits you. You like it? Do it.
I came across one of those and tried it on for size on my '67. It looked OK but I have the deluxe hood and decided it looked too crowded. So I hung it on the wall and it stayed there for years until one day most of a '69 followed me home one day and it's now gathering dust on that instead. (Hood even already had the holes.) I'm glad I didn't drill holes in my 67's hood for it. I sure would have felt dumb later.
I'm going to spend +/-$1100 (yea, $1,100) for a "functional" reproduction ram air setup for my 68 firebird 400 hood with the complete understanding that it will do nothing more than look cool. A fool and his money...
geicoman58 likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Garage
Personally, I like it. I think it would look even better when the whole car is painted one color.

It's your car. Do as you please and take what people say on here with a grain of salt

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Dimples

Garage
I feel a fair amount of hot air come out of there when it's parked, either after driving or sitting there idling. I wouldn't dare say I'm getting some sort of ram air power boost out of the deal, but it does seem like there is a good chance at cooler under hood temps in general.
2nd 66 likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
Personally, I like it. I think it would look even better when the whole car is painted one color.

It's your car. Do as you please and take what people say on here with a grain of salt
I like it as the Harlequin edition
fordguy likes this.

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 06-19-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
... the complete understanding that it will do nothing more than look cool.
Clearly, thou hast achieved hotrod enlightenment.
Garth66, subpar63 and 65 Pony like this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM

I have a fiberglass '69 Cougar Eliminator scoop on mine. What I've gleaned:

1) I had to reinforce the scoop underneath with a steel bar encased in fiberglass, as at speed the scoop would "balloon", and it cracked the paint at the front of the scoop . This could also be because I have a crap ton of air coming in through 2 grills in front, and no where for it to go. (See point #3, below.)

2) My air cleaner sits about 3/4" above the hood level, and I have about 1" clearance around the edge. If you cut the hole, be prepared to take a bazillion measurements. It's a royal PITA.
3) If I had my druthers, I would have put it on backwards, like a cowl scoop. Lesson learned lol.

4) I have a foam plug I put in it when it rains. I'm not a fan of wet air cleaners.
5) FWIW, my scoop does help to cool carb air. I can tell the torque difference when I have to plug it up lol.
6) Put some sort of anti-friction foam or tape in between the scoop and your hood (when/if you paint the hood). Foam also keeps water out.
7) Pop the hood to let it cool to prevent damage to the scoop. And yes - lots of heat escapes from that hole in your hood, but it butts up against the scoop on its way out and will warp it.

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page