Unpopular Opinions - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 198Likes

post #31 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
I wanted a gear drive since the first time a timing set came apart in an engine of mine, the ads offered a "quiet" and "noisy" options, and I learned the ultra-durable International Harvester engines had em. Thought about putting one in my Wicked Windsor build, but after watching what you went through...
In the end, there was nothing wrong with the gear drive nor did it did cause any problems. As I had originally said, no need to check cam end play with a flat tappet hydraulic cam. If I had stuck to my guns and just gone that way all would have been fine, but I had to cave into the peer (forum) pressure, and that messed things up. But this is a discussion for another thread.

When I purchased it back in the 80's, it was the thing to have. Like the big yellow traction bars and those huge yellow Accel coils you had to bolt to your firewall they were so big. Air shocks to raise the back of the car way up in the air!

And yes, my 1st Mustang had Keystone Klassics!

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Unpopular Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
I wanted a gear drive since the first time a timing set came apart in an engine of mine, the ads offered a "quiet" and "noisy" options, and I learned the ultra-durable International Harvester engines had em. Thought about putting one in my Wicked Windsor build, but after watching what you went through...

Iím cracking up on this thread....
Hilarious!! And awesome....

: #1, Blake: I love your car.... itís freaking awesome! And beautiful.....love the flames.

#2: Iíve wanted a gear drive since i was 14. Iím now 48. Lmao!
I just bought one off eBay for my cleveland for no other reason just to have one... probably not going to use it. My engine builder looked at me like I had a third eyeball in my forehead when I mentioned I bought one.
Keep in mind I have a brand new rollmaster unit on hand. And I still want to use the used gear drive. More noise the better... I want to, but probably wonít.

3# to each their own, as in mustangs and life. I donít care what you do with yours, and I couldnt care less if you donít like what Iím doing with mine!! Lmao
I respect each and everyoneís taste. I love them alll.

4# this thread is about anything thatís not my taste:
A) Stock Motors in And stock Cars
B) original air cleaners
C) white wall tires
D) that stupid plaid mat in trunk
E) cars that sound like sewing machines
F) a car that sits lower in back.
G) that dumb sticker on air cleaners

My local resto place calls me ďRicky RacerĒ and my name is Mike! He is a cool guy and he is kind of poking fun at me in a nice way. I e joy the banter.

Iím so guilty on some of this stuff mentioned above... but ya know, I bought this car, and Iím building it like I want.
And that includes it being a hot rod...... is what it is.

But if you want a bone stocker.... I love your car too....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turnall and myfirstcar66 like this.

Last edited by mikeyhunts; 06-20-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #33 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
I also think that silverblueBP 's car is pretty good looking
Who took that picture @2nd 66?

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread

post #34 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:20 PM

I basically agree with almost everything you listed except I like clean silver blue cars and white if it is a GT350. Nick Cage Eleanors were played out the day after the movie released. Don't forget to add "murdered out" cars and halo headlights to the list. Sheesh....
myfirstcar66 and Grimbrand like this.

1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
Instagram @a65stang

Last edited by tx65coupe; 06-20-2019 at 10:46 PM.
post #35 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 PM

I like the Elenorís......
Almost built one....

Signed ďRicky RacerĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Who took that picture @2nd 66?

Allen
Not really sure Maybe @patrickstapler Or @silverblueBP would know

Brad
post #37 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Garage
Great thread...

I love all things Mustang...As some have said, to each their own.

Concourse cars are incredible if that is what you are into, but I want and have a couple of drivers.
Resto-mod, great. Mustangs have personalization written all over them.
Stock cars, again, they look great and really are driven history...
Bullitt, the ultimate car buff movie. Bar none. Nothing else comes close...Don't even try...

But I draw the line at "fart can exhaust" setups. Doesn't matter if it's a Mustang or a Honda. They sound like garbage...

Steve

Current Stable: 1966 A-code Fastback (302 Ford Crate motor, T-5)
2008 Shelby GT Convertible

Former Mustangs: 1967 A-Code Fastback (sold to buy the Ď66 Fastback 33 years ago)

Ď66 A-Code Fastback (owned it from 1986 to 1999, sold it to a friend, who sold it to another fellow Mustanger. I just repurchase the car in Mar. 2019...)

Ď95 GT Convertible

Ď14 MCA Edition (Mustang Club of America) with Performance Pack
post #38 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Not really sure Maybe @patrickstapler Or @silverblueBP would know
Would have to be Patrick then. I have some close to that but not that particular one. It was a great event btw...

Back to the thread...

Allen
2nd 66 likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #39 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
As far as thinking out side the box for wheels ,as far as I know I'm the only one rocking a set of these
My buddy is looking for a set just like those that went missing off his Ranger 4x4. Does that make your car a 4x4 want-to-be?
post #40 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 PM

We all know what they say about opinions and a$$holes - everyone's got one - so here's mine...

1. Wraps! Get a real paint job! A wrap is just a poor excuse for paint, and it's NOT the "never-wax damage proof" coating the purveyors claim it to be. The exception would be if it's printed with extreme or detailed graphics promoting your business. Otherwise, the first thought that comes to mind when I see a wrap is, "what kind of sins are they covering up?"

2. Flat paint! Again, get a paint job. If it's a work in progress or a track beater in primer, sweet! But don't treat your high-dollar restomod (or exotic or luxury car) to a dull flat paint job (or similarly bland wrap). Do it right and paint it!

3. Obscenely oversize wheels - we're talking diameter here. 18 inches and bigger don't belong on classic Mustangs. It doesn't matter how blingy they are or how cool they look on new Mustangs or other cars, they don't look good on a classic Mustang.

4. Extreme makeovers of bodywork and interiors! Yeah, there's a reason most of the people designing some of the atrocities committed on classic Mustangs don't get paid by Ford to do it professionally... Stick to your day jobs people, and stop pretending to be automotive designers. If you want flat panel touch screen controls, buy a new car! Nuff said!

Again, these are my opinions. I hope no one takes offense. And if your car falls into one or more of these categories, well, it's your car to do with as you please. I may not agree with your taste or style, but I always appreciate fine craftsmanship and attention to detail, even if the style is not something I would have done. So whatever you do, do it well!

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #41 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Wheels any larger than 16" on any 65-68 mustang...they are too big for the smaller mustangs...they look cartoonish...most people wont agree with that... but its what my eyes tell me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I agree 100% But I have 17's because I autocross.

17" and larger wheels (they are NOT rims) on a Vintage Mustang is my biggest pet peeve and I have never been ashamed to express that on this forum. It is all in the shape of the wheel well openings. The early Mustangs' are somewhat teardrop shaped and the late models' are inverted U shaped. The larger wheels and tires with no sidewalls look like crap on a Vintage Mustang.
And long live the TTD wheel! There is nothing else that looks that good on a Mustang.
post #42 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Wheels any larger than 16" on any 65-68 mustang...they are too big for the smaller mustangs...they look cartoonish...most people wont agree with that... but its what my eyes tell me. Like 22" dubs on a 90s caprice.
Agree
post #43 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM68GT390 View Post
My buddy is looking for a set just like those that went missing off his Ranger 4x4. Does that make your car a 4x4 want-to-be?
At my ride height 4x4 would only be good for more traction off roading on asphalt, beside all wheel drive isn't so bad

Huntingky likes this.

Brad
post #44 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Expressing opinions is not a problem. Everyone's got 'em! The only problem is, a lot of people these days seem to think that they can't be friends unless they agree on everything.

I don't mind a bit when someone has a different point of view. If they've got good reasons for it, sometimes I can learn a thing or two! Or, I can disagree. It's even possible I'll decide that person's an idiot. This process of discernment is something we're all supposed to develop as we grow up.

As opposed to walking around with a big gaggle of friends that all share the same tastes and opinions. That's called "girls in high school". *puts on flame-retardant underwear*

(I do TRY to be respectful, even when I disagree. Or think people are idiots. Sometimes I succeed.)
Yep. It ain't rocket science. I am more than pleased to read anything an automobile enthusiast enjoys regardless of their choices to include an LS based Mustang...
post #45 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM

1. Only an idiot argues with an idiot on the internet.

2. Vintage Mustangs are toys, nothing more. Dont spend money you dont have on one......you are cheating yourself, your family, your future.

3. Ginger or MaryAnn? Ginger is a high maintenence HiPo solid lifter, duel point, 4 speed, 4.11 locker tire burner that will throw you back in the seat. MaryAnn is a 200/C4/2.79 coupe, pedestrian, but will get the job done.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page